FALKEN ZIEX ZE 512 First Report

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

Here's an edited copy of the private message I sent to rets to respond to his latest inquiry on whether I still like the 512's:

I don't drive much these days so I still have something like 4,000 miles on my car. I got Falkens at 400 miles. I've been very happy with them in all categories except for one: flatspotting. I haven't experienced any flatspotting with them for about 1,000 miles, while it was still very cold. Then, as the temperatures started to hover in upper 40s to mid-50s, they suddenly developed the problem. Mind you, it's about 25% of the flatspotting severity of the EL42's, and it wouldn't set in unless the car was stationary for at least 12 hours, but it was still an annoying development.

However, it was a temporary problem and obviously related to temperature, because I'm not experiencing any flatspotting anymore now that we're into summer temperatures.

These are still great handling and quiet tires and I don't regret the decision to get them at all.
Here's my updated summary of 512's performance:

1. Handling: Excellent
2. Dry braking: seems great, but I never had a need to slam on brakes yet.
3. Wet braking: OUTSTANDING
4. Wet handling: OUTSTANDING
5. Snow handling: Excellent
6. Snow braking: OUTSTANDING for an all-season tire
7. Noise: Excellent
8. Wear: no idea yet
9. Flatspotting: minor at certain temprerature range (40s-50s)
Old 06-14-2004, 12:06 AM
Team Antracite Member

Have been getting flattspotting in warm weather

[QUOTE=Modeler]Here's an edited copy of the private message I sent to rets to respond to his latest inquiry on whether I still like the 512's:

I don't drive much these days so I still have something like 4,000 miles on my car. I got Falkens at 400 miles. I've been very happy with them in all categories except for one: flatspotting. I haven't experienced any flatspotting with them for about 1,000 miles, while it was still very cold. Then, as the temperatures started to hover in upper 40s to mid-50s, they suddenly developed the problem. Mind you, it's about 25% of the flatspotting severity of the EL42's, and it wouldn't set in unless the car was stationary for at least 12 hours, but it was still an annoying development.

However, it was a temporary problem and obviously related to temperature, because I'm not experiencing any flatspotting anymore now that we're into summer temperatures.

These are still great handling and quiet tires and I don't regret the decision to get them at all.
Here's my updated summary of 512's performance:

1. Handling: Excellent
2. Dry braking: seems great, but I never had a need to slam on brakes yet.
3. Wet braking: OUTSTANDING
4. Wet handling: OUTSTANDING
5. Snow handling: Excellent
6. Snow braking: OUTSTANDING for an all-season tire
7. Noise: Excellent
8. Wear: no idea yet
9. Flatspotting: minor at certain temprerature range (40s-50s)[/QUOTE]

HI Modeler,

I really like the Falken's after about 5 minutes of driving. It's been warm here 50 - 60s and since I've got my new Falkens I feel some serious Flatspotting. Worse than my stock OEMs. I'm hoping it will go away. It is really odd.

I thought they might be out of balance, but then the choppy rides goes away after a few miles. Like you said, just kind of annoying for those trips to the store.

All around a better tire than OEMs and most others, but this flatspotting has got me down a bit.

Any additional thoughts?

thx,
Old 06-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2004TL_believer
HI Modeler,

I really like the Falken's after about 5 minutes of driving. It's been warm here 50 - 60s and since I've got my new Falkens I feel some serious Flatspotting. Worse than my stock OEMs. I'm hoping it will go away. It is really odd.

I thought they might be out of balance, but then the choppy rides goes away after a few miles. Like you said, just kind of annoying for those trips to the store.

All around a better tire than OEMs and most others, but this flatspotting has got me down a bit.

Any additional thoughts?
I can tell you that I've completelly stopped paying attention to the occasional minor flatspotting. I would hope that you would stop noticing it after a while as well...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Pro

Does anyone have any comments how how the 512's are when it comes to hydroplaning?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
Does anyone have any comments how how the 512's are when it comes to hydroplaning?

At least I'm sure that 512s is much better than EL42s. My car hasn't skidded or hydro-planed yet in numerous rainy days.
Old 06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by HuKaShI
They Don't !

I feel much safer and confident on wet or even mildly wet roads than I did with the Bullshitstones.

Just in case you missed it:

Old 06-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Just for what it's worth, I put Proxes 4's on my TL, went with 245-40-18's $600 delivered...

They are hands down a great tire, quite, handle well, corner great. I would say that for the most part I'm a pretty agressive driver and have been really happy with them. They balanced well and look good too. They have a good rim protector and have good treadlife - 400 I think...I have had them on my car for about 3K now and they still look new.

In Oregon (where I live) they also handled well in HEAVY down pours too...so good wet too. I would not classify them as all season as snow is another matter, but with maybe 5 days of snow a year in Oregon (and the fact I have an Audi Quattro) I did not need.

PS keep up all the posts, this is a great site!
Old 07-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Have put 4k on my Falken 512 now. As I said before, it's not the best in the world, but it's one of the best choices you could get. I haven't experienced any flatspoting yet, wish it won't happen. Plus they provide the better grip and handling in every aspects of performance. No hydroplaning at all, and this bring you super confidence in controlling your car anywhere you wanna be.
Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
Have put 4k on my Falken 512 now. As I said before, it's not the best in the world, but it's one of the best choices you could get. I haven't experienced any flatspoting yet, wish it won't happen. Plus they provide the better grip and handling in every aspects of performance. No hydroplaning at all, and this bring you super confidence in controlling your car anywhere you wanna be.

With your Falkens you haven't had any flatspotting, have you ever let the car set for several days without driving it and see if there is still no flatspotting. On my LS-Z's I have flatspotting after not being driven for a few days. Also, do you have any tramlining on interstate driving with the Falkens, this is very annoying with the LS-Z's, I had it also with the EL42's. There can be new pavement, driving in flat center lane and can let go of steering wheel, the car seems to track straight but the steering wheel will vibrate and rock slightly back and forth. Had tires balanced, which the guy said were way off, but still have this problem... Think the tread pattern on the Falkens would be less likely to tramline than the BS's?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dheel
With your Falkens you haven't had any flatspotting, have you ever let the car set for several days without driving it and see if there is still no flatspotting. On my LS-Z's I have flatspotting after not being driven for a few days. Also, do you have any tramlining on interstate driving with the Falkens, this is very annoying with the LS-Z's, I had it also with the EL42's. There can be new pavement, driving in flat center lane and can let go of steering wheel, the car seems to track straight but the steering wheel will vibrate and rock slightly back and forth. Had tires balanced, which the guy said were way off, but still have this problem... Think the tread pattern on the Falkens would be less likely to tramline than the BS's?
Almost any tire, especially any high performance tire, will develop flat spots after sitting for several days.

As far as vibrations, I don't notice any with Falkens. I like these tires so much that I just bought exactly the same ones form my wife's Mazda MPV minivan.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dheel

I did let it set for 1-3 days sometimes, this ain't my only car, but I could tell you no flatspot so far. We'll know more when this winter arrives. IMO, I expect it would take place.

As for "tramline" issue, I haven't seen the serious vibration or rock (back and forth) as you described above. After replacing my TU2 EL42s by Falken 512, I feel better...

Vibration at 1500 RPM at 5th gear is reduced, I guess Falken's rubber can absorb shimmy better than EL42.

Hydroplaning issue seems totally gone.

Grip of tires are apparently improved, especially making a turn in high speed.

In my prvious 3k trip to Milwaukee, I pretty enjoyed the ride and these tires have provided me the quite fair and balanced control in the whole trip. The wear of tires are much less than EL42's. (I ever took another 3k trip on PVC EL42s)

Since you have brought up this thread, let's wish some Falkeners could chip in soon.

Modeler, good to see you again.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Racer

My original tires are about shot at 12.2K. I corner a bit hard with my car but, do not peel out or brake really hard. I think with the way I drove them a decent sporty tire would have last to 25K. My last car 2000 accord v6 I drove also the same way and it had around 25K (if I remember right) with the original tires on it when I traded it in. I drive my TL a bit harder (not allot) then the Accord.

Anyway I am looking at the Falken's and maybe the Toyo Proxy's. I am in Westchester, NY and am looking for a decent price on these tires. I will probably go with 245x45x17's on the stock 17" wheels. I have seen a few other posts from people with the slightly wider tires on the stock rims with no problems.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get these locally (Westchester, NY). Will Sears price match a print out for an Internet company such as Edge Racing? The way I read their price match they might not since Edge Racing doesn't have a local retail store in NY. Mavis apparently sells the Falken's but, might be special order and seem to charge too much extra for that. I will try to stop at Mavis tomorrow to get a clear indication of the price though. They 'give' life time rotation and I believe fix flats for 'free' if you buy the tires from them. And there are at least 3 retail outlets in my immediate area.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-27-2010, 07:20 PM
05 SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I've heard the ZE 512s are poor in snow. dulnev, please do post an update when it snows again in DC. Thanks, they're quite a deal.
+1 these tires are terrible in snow a little snow on the ground u start to loose traction
Old 02-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by shingles
I've had these tires on another car before and ran them for 25,000+ miles. Just so everyone knows, they get very loud as they start to wear down. Infact I changed them out due to the noise even though there was tread left.
I would like to confirm this post. We have 20-25k miles on our 512's on our TL and they have grown much louder in the last 2k miles or so.

I have driven in snow with the tires and they did just fine...I was actually quite surprised. That being said I don't drive in snow very often.