Experiencing Major Vibration throughout the steering column

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Experiencing Major Vibration throughout the steering column

I've had my 6 speed for not even two months now, and am starting to get a lot of shaking in the steering wheel when I get to around 35mph. That vibration stays as I increase speed as well. I contacted the dealer's service department and they stated that Acura is aware of this and are working on a fix. He thinks it's the wheel balancing, but said it might not fix it. How can I find out if Acura is working on this? Could this service department just be getting out of warrenty work? Secondarily, if it is wheel balancing, would new tires resolve this as well?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

sounds like the tire flatspotting issue people have been talking about ...
Old 04-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
(1) Could've lost a wheel weight
(2) Could have a bent rim
(3) COuld have a tire out-of-round or with a "bubble"
(4) COuld have a bent tie rod
(5) Could not have been balanced on a Hunter ROAD FORCE machine, therefore the flat spot of the rim and tire arent lined up
(6) Could've been balanced crappy from the factory
(7) Could be that BRIDGESTONE TIRES SUCK (which they in fact do)
(8) Could have the older version of the EL42 bridgestones (although I here the Newer version sucks just as much)
(9) ALso could have a dead body or animal dragging under the car (just kidding, couldn't resist )

In other words, u don't call the doctor to have them diagnose you over the phone, do you? Bring the car to Acura and have them take a look. If they dont have a Hunter GSP machine, insist on them paying another dealer/shop to have them balanced right.

Don't settle, but don't NOT make any effort to fix the problem other than complaining to the dealer. let me know if I can be of more help.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:30 PM
4th Gear

Just Problems

Originally Posted by tromba
I've had my 6 speed for not even two months now, and am starting to get a lot of shaking in the steering wheel when I get to around 35mph. That vibration stays as I increase speed as well. I contacted the dealer's service department and they stated that Acura is aware of this and are working on a fix. He thinks it's the wheel balancing, but said it might not fix it. How can I find out if Acura is working on this? Could this service department just be getting out of warrenty work? Secondarily, if it is wheel balancing, would new tires resolve this as well?
Hello, I have an 05 TL and I'm having the same problem, took to the dealer and they said it was a balancing problem so I had them balance it, still vibration in the steering wheel and front end. I will continue to go to the dealer until they fix-it. I love this car and I know my car, something is not RIGHT. I have not hit anything, i treat this car better than myself... as soon as I find-out the fix, I'll let you know.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:41 AM
'17 RDX Tech AWD - WDP

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have an 06 that's about 6 weeks old to me. I brought the car in for a "laundry list" of things that needed to be addressed, including vibration in the steering wheel. It seems to be just a general vibration, fairly consistent at all speeds.

The dealer offered a Road Force Balance of all four wheels. This has resulted in two of the tires being replaced (under warranty) and the vibration being much lighter at lower speeds, but WORSE at highway speeds!

I'm going back in to deal with a rep since I have so many little "quirks" with my car (including a paint blemish on the trailing edge of the driver's door and the fact that my hood doesn't line up properly with my front fenders AND the front bumper AT THE SAME TIME).

I'm now worried that they'll blow me off about the vibration because I rubbed a curb with one wheel and it nicked the tire as well.

Please keep us posted of your progress so we may all benefit!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Been there, done that.

Vibrations that are most pronounced specifically at 35mph, 50 mph, and around 80mph are the crappy Bridgestone tires. This has been a problem since day 1 of the 3G TL. Acura is not working on a fix - they think they've already done it by having the EL42's reformulated, but the reformulation is not effective.

Replace the tires with something non-Bridgestone or you are in for nothing but vibration-induced headaches as long as you have them. Either that, or learn to live with the vibe. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, but there are less expensive alternatives.

Mike

Edit: Search the tires & wheels subforum for "EL42". Tons of information on this issue.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

I have gone thru this with my car. I even got new wheels, and the vibration was still there. One of my Michelin's was out of round. Swapped it to the back and no more vibration. Try that.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I got vibrations after purchasing my A-Spec rims and Toyo tires. Try going to a store with the Hunter Roadforce and someone that knows how to use it.
Some people have also metioned defective axle as well.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for all the information.... I purchased the the MPS2 tires because of the vibration, but it still has the vibration, I think I will the try the Hunter Road balancing everyone is talking about when I get my car from the dealer....... Currently the dealer has kept my car for 3 days and still no sign of the vibration being fixed. hopefully tomorrow they will give me a positive update. Until then I will put the miles on the 06 loaner with no vibration. I'll keep u updated>>>