Eibach springs upside down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Eibach springs upside down?

Hi all,

The question I have is if the printed part number on your rear eibach pro-kit springs its right side up, or upside down?

I am thinking I might have them installed incorrectly. let me explain.

I've had eibach pro-kits for my 3G TL for about a year now (with the lettering upside down) and I have had problems with the top 3 coils of the spring which are closer wound to eachother rubbing against one another, causing noise. This was remedied by in the past sliding an included clear rubber looking sleeve up a little higher to prevent the metal on metal sound (and chipping of the powdercoat) caused by this.

Now, a year later the sound is back and bow is it rubbing again! I have moved the sleeve up and down and its not going away. By the way, this is only happening on the rear passenger side wheel. so perhaps the spring is weaker and rubbing more than the other side. In either case, I done see why they would wind the springs so tight as to need this clear rubber sleeve to prevent noise. I think its stupid.

So do I have these installed wrong?

Last edited by gerzand; 01-21-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Usually you can tell by how the spring is made but generally almost every spring company sets it up so the letters are right side up. Eibach sends info with their springs so you can verify but I believe Eibach puts the dead coils at the bottom.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
In fact this is from Eibach's FAQ:

Is there a hint how to install the Pro-Kit spring?
Yes! The springs have to be installed that side up that you can read the printing.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Usually you can tell by how the spring is made but generally almost every spring company sets it up so the letters are right side up. Eibach sends info with their springs so you can verify but I believe Eibach puts the dead coils at the bottom.
I just called Eibach and they said that with the way the springs are manufactured, the lettering should always be facing upright. He was not aware if the dead coils should be at the top or bottom.

Can anyone with their dead coils on the BOTTOM and lettering right side up please comment on if fitment is correct into the strut perches? I thought that the diameter of the coils at the dead spring coil end of the spring was a different diameter and therefore wouldnt fit into the bottom perch. I guess I can always rip it all back apart but it would be nice to know
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
In fact this is from Eibach's FAQ:

Is there a hint how to install the Pro-Kit spring?
Yes! The springs have to be installed that side up that you can read the printing.
haha you were typing a response while i was! thanks for your effort. I read through that FAQ and missed it.

Last edited by gerzand; 01-22-2009 at 02:07 PM.