Drag radials or slicks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drag radials or slicks??

Does anyone know whats the widest tire i can run ?? W/o turning issues??
I have some 2 spair wheels i wanna get some drags for...

Sorry i know ima noob at posting on here
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
The problem with asking a question like this is that there are so many variables. The drop, the wheel width, the wheel size, offset, tire make, tire model, how much camber you want to run, etc. A safe bet is a 245 unless you have a ricer offset, but a 265 is doable (again, depending on your specific set-up).
Old 04-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by VisualEchos
The problem with asking a question like this is that there are so many variables. The drop, the wheel width, the wheel size, offset, tire make, tire model, how much camber you want to run, etc. A safe bet is a 245 unless you have a ricer offset, but a 265 is doable (again, depending on your specific set-up).
I'll also take this opportunity to remind OP that he owns an Acura TL... It's yours to do with as you please, but drag radials? slicks? If those are part of your vocabulary, you may have bought the wrong car...
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Alex.Leslie
I'll also take this opportunity to remind OP that he owns an Acura TL... It's yours to do with as you please, but drag radials? slicks? If those are part of your vocabulary, you may have bought the wrong car...
OP??

I love my tl ,im sure i bought the rite car i wanted lol
But know what you mean
Old 04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
Advanced

The pair of wheels are stock tl wheels.
I want to have them to throw them on on the weekends (friendly racing)or whenever i take it to the strip.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Andrew

Originally Posted by ArtPerez805
The pair of wheels are stock tl wheels.
I want to have them to throw them on on the weekends (friendly racing)or whenever i take it to the strip.
Ah, well in that case, depending on the exact tire you use, you could put a 255 on it, and possibly even a 265, but I'm guessing that would be pushing it. Again, it depends on the specific make and model of tire, drop, camber, and tire pressure.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Ah, well in that case, depending on the exact tire you use, you could put a 255 on it, and possibly even a 265, but I'm guessing that would be pushing it. Again, it depends on the specific make and model of tire, drop, camber, and tire pressure.
Gotcha, im thinking 265 also
Stock camber with 2" drop i was looking into a pair a m&h tires
Old 04-07-2016, 08:09 AM
Andrew

Gotcha, im thinking 265 also
Stock camber with 2" drop i was looking into a pair a m&h tires
I think you'll rub with a 265, especially with the lowered pressure you'll be running, safer to get a 255 unless you don't care about some rubbing. Honestly though, I'd be afraid of tire damage, the sidewalls of those type of tires are super soft.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
OP??

I love my tl ,im sure i bought the rite car i wanted lol
But know what you mean
It stands for Original Poster or the thread starter. Very common abbreviation on forums.
Nothing wrong with a weekend track day. just seems like a good deal of work and expense for a second or two off a lap time. As long as you know it's a 3,500lb sedan, you're all set.

I think you'll rub with a 265, especially with the lowered pressure you'll be running, safer to get a 255 unless you don't care about some rubbing. Honestly though, I'd be afraid of tire damage, the sidewalls of those type of tires are super soft.
Agreed. With 2 inches of drop I would even say a 255 is gonna be wide. Visual has a good point with the side-walls too. Normally a rub will do some damage but isn't a huge deal, but at track speed and with those tires, even a small rub could lead to catastrophic failure (probably my favorite phrase ever).
Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Andrew

Yup, that's a good phrase lol
Old 04-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Advanced

That's true ,I'm going to have to think about this one lol thanks for your guys info👍