Don't buy cheap tire pressure gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 04:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Don't buy cheap tire pressure gauges!

I've always been good about maintaining proper tire pressure in all my vehicles. I run my TL-S with OEM tires at 33 psi all around. About two months ago when the temperature started to drop, I went out and measured it with my $1.99 tire gauge I keep in my glove box. Tires were down to 26 psi, as they should be when the temperature drops. So I pulled out my compressor and added air to each one. It seemed like it took forever to add just a few pounds of air in each tire, so I assumed (wrongly) that something was up with my compressor. But I eventually got each tire up to 33 psi, according to my gauge.

I just got new tires (Dunlop Sport SP 5000s) for my wife's '97 Maxima and I checked the tire pressure after I got it back from the tire place and the tires were at 26 psi. I had to go to work but I explained to my wife how to use the compressor and told her to get them up to the proper pressure (33 front, 31 rear), using *her* tire gauge in her glove box (a more expensive, all-metal model). She calls me at work and says "why should I be adding air when the fronts are 38 psi and the backs are 40 psi?" I couldn't explain it, but I said if that was the case then let air out instead. So she took 5 psi out of the front and 9 psi out of the back. I get home from work, check the tires with my gauge and they're all at 26 psi again. I'm like WTF?!? So I tell her she let too much air out and she said no she didn't. I go out with *her* gauge and check the pressure--33 front, 31 rear. And then I started thinking how it took me so long to add just a few PSI, plus my ride had seemed really harsh recently and I concluded that my gauge must be faulty. I check my tires with her gauge--and I'm like "Holy Crap!!" First tire is OFF THE SCALE, and the gauge tops out at 50psi!!! I start bleeding out air like crazy and it is still reading over 50. Finally I get it down to 33. All four tires were well over 50psi (I'm guessing between 55-60 psi based on how long it took me to bleed air out to get down to where the gauge would give a reading of 50 or less). And I drove that way for a couple of months!! No wonder the ride had been so harsh--I thought the struts might be going. How I didn't blow a tire is beyond me.

I've since gone out and bought a new gauge (all-metal) that works just fine. Moral of the story: don't buy those cheap-a$$ plastic tire pressure gauges they sell at the checkout at the auto parts store. Spend an extra $5 and get a metal one.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Instructor

From my experience, the tire pressure guages that are like a round dial tend to be more accurate than those cheap little pen type guages. Also, try not to get a guage that handles a large range of PSI. I spent about $15 for mine. I don't have a problem paying a bit more for something that's more accurate and will last. Has anyone had any experience with the accuracy of those digital guages? I haven't tried them and was wondering about accuracy.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i bought a nice digital one that is sooo nice, and it has a light on it so you can see the valve stem in the dark and the screen is backlit to read it at night
Old 01-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I've got a digital one but its plastic, it seems to get the job done...that backlit one sounds nice though...what store carries that? Pep Boys, AutoZone?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Have you tested the accuracy of those digitals? I'm a guy, I'm always interested in gadgets....but I won't get a gadget if it's not accurate.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
im not sure where it came from. a couple friends and i exchanged x-mas gifts and i got it as a gift. i have tested it with acouple other guages and it is right on the money. it has decmial point accuracy
Old 01-10-2003, 01:55 AM
Instructor

That sounds pretty nice. What brand is it? I may go give it a try.