Do these wheel locks fit my TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
Do these wheel locks fit my TL-S

Hi, just like the title says I was wondering if these gorilla locks fit my car.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...6909629&sr=1-4

They are the correct size 12 x 1.50. But I am not sure if the cone shape will fit my stock type s rims.

Could anyone help me out with this? thx
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
The Honda/Acura needs a lug nut with a ball seat, not conical, so it won't work.

Gorilla Automotive 71633NBC - Gorilla Wheel Lock Systems
Lug Nuts, Conical Seat, 12mm x 1.50 RH, Closed End, Locking, Black Chrome Steel, Set of 20
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have Gorilla locking lug nuts on my TL-S. Here's a quick pic. I like the look of the black lug nuts with the dark Acura logo center cap and black calipers. I have A-Spec wheels now and I'm thinking of painting the chrome center cap logo black to keep the theme going. I'll take a look at the box tonight post the exact Gorilla part number if you're interested.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Titanium2k2
I have Gorilla locking lug nuts on my TL-S. Here's a quick pic. I like the look of the black lug nuts with the dark Acura logo center cap and black calipers. I have A-Spec wheels now and I'm thinking of painting the chrome center cap logo black to keep the theme going. I'll take a look at the box tonight post the exact Gorilla part number if you're interested.

I am definitely interested! Want to protect my wheels after seeing all these thefts in queens NY.
The following users liked this post:
Sondinh (07-09-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Instructor

71633NBC That's the Gorilla part number for the locking lug nuts I ordered. I'm somewhat concerned after reading Turbonut's post about the conical seat not being the correct type for Honda/Acura though. I verified just now and the OEM lug nuts have a ball seat, not conical. I've had them for over a year now and have had no ill effects thus far.

Turbonut: Do you think I should replace the Gorilla conical seat lugs at this point? I just put new wheels on my TL last week with these lugs and did not notice any damage to my stock wheels or new wheels.

I just did a quick search and this Gorilla locking lug nut part number (38433N) is a ball seat, but chrome, not black.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-09-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Do you think I should replace the Gorilla conical seat lugs at this point? I just put new wheels on my TL last week with these lugs and did not notice any damage to my stock wheels or new wheels.
Definitely, the conical lugs will not seat properly in the wheel.

I just did a quick search and this Gorilla locking lug nut part number (38433N) is a ball seat, but chrome, not black.
That’s correct and seems to be the only ball seat offered.

If one is looking for black lug nuts check out the NSX OE nuts as they are black and are a ball seat from what I can read:
90304-SA7-811 NUT, WHEEL (BLACK) 91 - 99 NSX $6.18 $4.64

Last edited by Turbonut; 06-02-2011 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:31 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I am using the exact same lugs for my RonJon's. The RonJon's use a conical seat.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Definitely, the conical lugs will not seat properly in the wheel.

That’s correct and seems to be the only ball seat offered.

If one is looking for black lug nuts check out the NSX OE nuts as they are black and are a ball seat from what I can read:
90304-SA7-811 NUT, WHEEL (BLACK) 91 - 99 NSX $6.18 $4.64
Thanks for the tip! I ordered the Gorilla ball seat lugs last night. I'll post up a pic of the OEM lug nuts, my current conical Gorilla lugs, and the new ball seat Gorilla lugs once I get them in case anyone looking in this thread is unsure what the different styles are.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Okay, here are the pics...

The lug nuts from left to right are: Gorilla ball seat locking, OEM, and Gorilla conical locking. A couple things that stand out to me are how short the height is on the Gorilla ball seat vs. the other two and how the Gorilla conical seat appears to be pretty close to the Gorilla ball seat. It looks like the seats of the two Gorilla lugs are closer in design than OEM. I took some measurments with a dial caliper and engineering protractor to confirm some dimensions. The seat of the conical lug nut is a true 60 degrees. Although the seat of the Gorilla ball seat looks very similar, it measures about 51 degrees. It's pretty hard to get an accurate reading on it though because of the rounded surfaces, but that's what I observed. When dropping all three of the lug nuts into the OEM wheel opening (I have Type S wheels and A-Specs and did this on both), the OEM lug nut sits flush. The Gorilla ball seat feels the same way and the conical is close but definitely "wobbles" more in the opening. I should note I did this "test" with the wheel off the car and held each lug nut in a socket to get a feel. Even though I ran the conical seat lug nuts for over a year with no ill effects, the ball seat feels like it fits better, for obvious reasons.

On to the next measurments, length and thread depth! When I first took the Gorilla ball seats out of the box I thought there would be no chance in hell they would thread on and hold my wheel on the car. The box from Gorilla has "Honda" printed on the label, but I had my doubts! Here are my findings. The OEM lug nuts measure 1.370" long with an internal dimension of 1.333" and thread depth of .575". The Gorilla ball seat is .930" long and is threaded the full depth of .875". The conical seat lug nut is 1.424" long and also has a fully threaded internal dimension of 1.363". The next step I took was to thread all three lug nuts on a wheel hub with no wheel. The OEM and conical lug nuts spun on till they bottomed out against the rotor. The Gorilla ball seat falls about .188" short of touching the rotor. That is clearly not an issue when you consider the thickness of the wheel is greater than .188". So, I put the wheels on the car with the Gorilla ball seat lug nuts and everything is good to go! I do miss the look of the black lug nuts vs. chrome, but I can look past it knowing I have the correct part for car.

Side note, on Amazon, there are a couple reviews for the Gorilla ball seat lug nuts from a Fit and Pilot owner. The Fit owner says they fit fine, but the Pilot owner said they were too short and didn't seat on the wheel. I would have to imagine this would be the case on a RDX/MDX but not the TL or TL-S.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Can anyone help me purchase the right lug nuts?

Hey, I am looking to buy new lug nuts for my car.

I am trying to get nice lug nuts with color to them but the problem I am having is that nice lug nuts do not fit my stock wheels. Let me explain, the stock lug nuts on my stock wheels are of the "ball seat" specification but all the so called "tuner" lug nuts of the right size (12 x 1.50) all have the "conical seat."

I have looked at many websites that say that these tuner lugs will fit our cars but only on aftermarket wheels and that they refuse to accept returns for lug nuts bought to be used on the stock wheels.

So.. any suggestion guys?

Here is one example of the lug nuts I was talking about
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-21133BL/

I would prefer some sort of locking feature to deter thieves, if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Guess we've discussed this before:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821225
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ thanks. Threads merged.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Yvuru
Hi, just like the title says I was wondering if these gorilla locks fit my car.

http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automo...6909629&sr=1-4

They are the correct size 12 x 1.50. But I am not sure if the cone shape will fit my stock type s rims.

Could anyone help me out with this? thx
Just Ordered these for my Type S but not for my Stock Wheels. Hopefully they fit since I paid extra for 1 day shipping. I'm Very worried about my wheels getting stolen. At least this will give me extra protection. I may also buy a 4 park of separate Locks Just in case. Thanks for the Link
Old 06-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

My bad thought this thread died. Anyways I am looking for colored lug nuts not the regular chrome. And those do not come in the ball seat specifications I want.

Titanium2k2, those black lug nuts on your car. Have you had any problems with them? Do you drive "spiritedly?"

Trying to get a certain look on my car. Can anyone help me out? I would like a colored lug nut of the ball seat specifications.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Instructor

I had no issues at all. I probably don't drive as aggressive as I used to now that I have a baby seat in back, but I sure as hell am not driving my car like a grandma! I know the conical seat lug nuts are not recommended for our OEM wheels, but I had no damage or problems with over one year of use.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:08 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no issues at all. I probably don't drive as aggressive as I used to now that I have a baby seat in back, but I sure as hell am not driving my car like a grandma! I know the conical seat lug nuts are not recommended for our OEM wheels, but I had no damage or problems with over one year of use.
I'm interested in purchasing that Gorilla ball seat wheel locks. Are all of them locks? Have you experience any issue and how long have used them for? I tried the link that you provided on amazon, but for some reason it didn't work for me. Can you please provide a link for the Gorilla "ball seat" locks that you purchased. Thank you.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:51 AM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is each set of these gorilla locks specially made differently from each other? Or if I buy these set of locks and another person buy the same set of locks, will the key be the same or different? I want to ask this because on the Summit Racing website it said the application was universal. I hope the key is different for every set because if not then these locks are useless. Can someone please confirm on this? Thank you.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:54 AM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
No they're all the same. So yes, anyone with Gorilla locks can use their lug socket on anyone's wheels.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sondinh
Is each set of these gorilla locks specially made differently from each other? Or if I buy these set of locks and another person buy the same set of locks, will the key be the same or different? I want to ask this because on the Summit Racing website it said the application was universal. I hope the key is different for every set because if not then these locks are useless. Can someone please confirm on this? Thank you.
I can't confirm this, but it would be a good question to e-mail Gorilla about. I get your concern and am curious myself. I know when you purchase a set of Gorilla locking lug nuts, it comes with a certificate/badge that has an id number for the key if you want to order a spare/replacement. My assumption is there are slight differences between kits of the same part number. Otherwise, why would they include this info with the kit? You could just order the replacement key based on the part number of the kit instead of a specific key number...
Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
resurrecting this old thread here…

So does anyone know of a BLACK ball style LOCKING lug set for OEM TLS rims?

exhaustive search turned up jack
Old 11-09-2013, 12:11 PM
07 TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a set off of e-bay. But there wasn't a lock set. But they were ball seat. Hope this helps. Had them on for 1 yr. and no chips.......yet
Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
yeah I think I saw those and they look great but still I need locks

Need to replace my rusty stockies! Kinda sick of standard chrome lugs too.

Thanks al.c

Hopefully someone else will see this and chime in