Do I really need to upgrade the front swaybar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Do I really need to upgrade the front swaybar?

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I would appreciate all opinions and comments as to whether it would make enough of a improvement in handling to justify the cost of the part and the labor to install it
Old 05-25-2013, 02:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not really what you can do is change if not install an upper strut bar. and either of them can be done diy. take a day to take your time. its not hard at all ive installed sway bars on all kinds of cars. but strut bars will help you can get them for not only the front but the rear as well. but you wont really need the rear.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2VTEC-TLover
not really what you can do is change if not install an upper strut bar. and either of them can be done diy. take a day to take your time. its not hard at all ive installed sway bars on all kinds of cars. but strut bars will help you can get them for not only the front but the rear as well. but you wont really need the rear.
we have OEM upper strut bar. well shock tower brace because we don't have struts.

I'm wondering the same thing too if i need a stiffer front sway bar because my car is oversteering with OEM sway bars front and rear lol.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2VTEC-TLover

Why would it not help I don't remember me asking anything about strut bars. I asked about FRONT SWAY BARS

Last edited by lowgrowl; 05-26-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I would appreciate all opinions and comments as to whether it would make enough of a improvement in handling to justify the cost of the part and the labor to install it
It depends on what you are doing with the TL, but the general answer is "no" as to the front sway bar for regular driving on the street. A bigger/stiffer front sway bar will result in more understeer (front end "push," as they say in NASCAR).

For more neutral handling and less understeer, you might consider changing to a stiffer rear sway bar (RSB)-- either one from a manual or Type-S TL (if you're running a 5AT, which has a smaller rear bar) or an aftermarket bar. The RSB is also much easier to install than the front bar.

There are a few threads on RSB changes. However, doing that will also take you out of the "stock" class and into the modified class in autocross, so that you'll have to do even more mods to keep up...

Originally Posted by 4drviper
I'm wondering the same thing too if i need a stiffer front sway bar because my car is oversteering with OEM sway bars front and rear lol.
Don't you mean the TL understeers, or pushes wide? It's not as bad as most front drivers, though.

Mine understeers, even with the the rear tires inflated a bit more than the fronts. Oversteer and hanging the rear end out takes some effort on the stock TL.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-26-2013)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
our car is made to naturally understeer.(a characteristic of fwd)
Like will Y. mentioned; the goal is to bring the car's handling to a more neutral standpoint.

if car is naturally understeering; what do you think a thicker front sway bar will do?
yes, the answer is MORE UNDERSTEER.

Balance out our natural understeer by adding a thicker sway bar in the rear.
I'm using Progress RSB which is 24mm thick and i have it on the stiffest setting.

I can "lift off over steer" around a corner.

this means I go into a corner at 75% throttle and lift off while in a turn and the back end will swing around

Last edited by justnspace; 05-26-2013 at 11:36 AM.