Do I Need New Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I Need New Rotors?

I'll start by admitting that I know very little about auto mechanics. I'm a nurse - I'll save your life if you stop breathing, but ask me to fix a car, and you'll just get a blank stare.

That said, I took my 05 TL in to the Honda dealer the other day (local Acura dealer required an appointment and didn't have one for several days) for recent onset of some low grating/scraping noise when braking (it almost sounds like something is caught and being dragged along the ground). He looked at my car a bit, told me that I have 4mm of pads left and that my rotors have a few "hot spots" that he told me are causing the noise as well as increased vibration on the freeway, and that it is annoying but not dangerous and that I do not need to do anything about it.

The cheapskate in me likes that answer, but the father of three in me is a little worried about driving my kids around in a car that is making that noise.

My question to you, oh gearheads, is this: am I really okay, or do I need to have the rotors repaired or replaced?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Usually in cases of noise or vibration I would say no you don't, but if they have hot spots or have any cracking then yes they should be replaced.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: a few days later, the sound got significantly worse. I got out of the car at work and looked at the rotor on the driver's side and there were two grooves dug in all the way around.

Fortunately, there was enough life left on the rotor to resurface it and with new brake pads to replace the ones that were completely gone, I am good to go.

Moral of the story: if you have brake problems, don't ignore it.