Differences Between Different Aftermarket Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Differences Between Different Aftermarket Springs

I would like to lower my 2007 Type-S about 1" to 1.5" and I see that the various "sport" springs have about this much drop. I have seen H&R, Eibach, Tein, Tanabe, and Neuspeed sport springs referred to in this forum. Do all their sport springs have about the same drop? Are there any appreciable differences between the sport springs from these companies other than the amount of drop (if there is a difference there)? If not, I will just order the least expensive one. I put Neuspeed springs on my last car (a VW Jetta) and was happy with them but I am not beyond using another brand if it saves me a little cash and is just as good.

I am not interested in coilovers.

Thanks for any advice.

Al
Old 12-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since you are staying with coils (not coilovers), the important factors for you are; lowering height (mostly looks), spring rate, and progressive or linear. You can also get into what steel the spring is made of and how are they coated.
Most company's dont publish exact spring rates but if you search, I've seen tables comparing various springs to each other. What I remember in general is that the HR OE's are closest to stock, being only about 10-15% stiffer. Same with Eibach pro-kit. As you get into springs termed 'race' and lowering grater than say 1.5", the rates start to get more aggressive (sometimes 30-50% stiffer than stock) otherwise the car would just bottom out. If you go that aggressive you'll need to upgrade the struts and probably also install a camber kit (do a search if you dont know what this means).

Progressive and linear have to do with how the spring is wound and it affects the ride.
A linear spring with a rate of 200lbs/in means that for every inch it compresses, it takes 200lb of force to compress it. A progressive spring may show a rate of 150/300 which means the first inch will compress with 150lbs of force but the next inch requires 300lbs. This generally means you get more comfort and compliance in the first inch of travel, but as you lean harder on the spring it will resist more proving better handling. A nice compromise.

So you need to decide what is important to you, a really low drop/possibly harsh ride, or a nice mild drop with a near factory ride? I the the H&R O.E's fulfill the latter best or the Eibach pro's and neither should require camber kits or new struts (assuming yours are still in good shape).

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
dgracer,

Thanks for the good explanation. I am looking for a mild drop (about 1.5") and would like the ride to be a little stiffer than stock. Looks like the H&E sport springs will fit the bill nicely.

Any opinions on Tanabe and Tein? I've heard of Eibach, H&R, and Neuspeed but have not heard of Tein and Tanabe before. Any idea which company's sport springs are the least expensive?

Thanks,

Al
Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgracer
Since you are staying with coils (not coilovers), the important factors for you are; lowering height (mostly looks), spring rate, and progressive or linear. You can also get into what steel the spring is made of and how are they coated.
Most company's dont publish exact spring rates but if you search, I've seen tables comparing various springs to each other. What I remember in general is that the HR OE's are closest to stock, being only about 10-15% stiffer. Same with Eibach pro-kit. As you get into springs termed 'race' and lowering grater than say 1.5", the rates start to get more aggressive (sometimes 30-50% stiffer than stock) otherwise the car would just bottom out. If you go that aggressive you'll need to upgrade the struts and probably also install a camber kit (do a search if you dont know what this means).

Progressive and linear have to do with how the spring is wound and it affects the ride.
A linear spring with a rate of 200lbs/in means that for every inch it compresses, it takes 200lb of force to compress it. A progressive spring may show a rate of 150/300 which means the first inch will compress with 150lbs of force but the next inch requires 300lbs. This generally means you get more comfort and compliance in the first inch of travel, but as you lean harder on the spring it will resist more proving better handling. A nice compromise.

So you need to decide what is important to you, a really low drop/possibly harsh ride, or a nice mild drop with a near factory ride? I the the H&R O.E's fulfill the latter best or the Eibach pro's and neither should require camber kits or new struts (assuming yours are still in good shape).

Good luck!
Awesome post... great info!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
What are you goals for your suspension? If you're just looking to lower it an inch and have the ride be slightly firmer but not uncomfortable, the Eibach Pro Kit or H&R Sports would be your best bet.