DECIDED... on 20's --{UPDATE}--

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 03:22 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DECIDED... on 20's --{UPDATE}--

Sorry mods if it's not in the right area...

I just wonted to let you guys know that my car is sill rumbing. (drivers rear only)
Many of you asked about the offset and any rubbing issues? I either PM you or posted on the form. The +47 offset well still rub with weight in your car. As of Monday i had my car loaded with 4 people and sure enough (rubbing) Just to let you know i rarely ever drive with more then 2 people in the car anyways. (but monday i did)

Now i brought my car to Darksidemotorsports (who i bout the rims from) and he wonts to cut out the inner fender. The owner said he's done alot of these cars in this set-up and has never had a broblem. (i think he's lying) I'm not willing to cutout anything on the car. And thay can't take anymore off the rim. (i asked) Now this is were things changed. I asked about exchanging the backs for the same as the fronts (9inch rim 245/35/20) and he said it would still rub. He just states is a car problem not a rim/tire issue. Than i ask to exchange them for 19's (a nice NO to that because its a car issue) Now i measured my Expedition and it sticks out 1/4 on the drivers side rear.(so i know it's not the car)

After another on the phone it seems i have two opinions (#1) have him cut the fender out (and hope it works) (#2) bring the car to a dealer soo thay can at me. (Because i'm sure it's not the car)

And he's the one who recommended this set-up! I was originally going with matching 19's. (same rims) I think the car does look great but thay dont fit After spending all that money on the car (and rims might i add) It rubs.. and thats sucks!! ( i'm to old for rubbing) :smitty:

I recommended www.Darksidemotorsports.com in CA to many of you but when there's a problem thay dont help! I will be contacting dazzmotorsports they're the one's who supply darksidemotorsports with the rims. (thay did the work originally on the rims when thay rubbed in the back)

It seems now i have only a two passenger car thanks Darkside!!!
I well keep you guys posted, I have to bring the car in for its first service so maybe next week i'll bring the car to the dealer and see if its the car. Hopefully Dazzmotorsports can help me out...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93663
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96520
Old 10-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Don't let them push you around. I would go in there and start demanding ( I know its easier said then done). G'luck and let us know the outcome!
Old 10-06-2004, 05:08 PM

Well, not only did I say 20s looks stupid, worse staggered on this car, of course there will be fitment problems if it was not built to fit that size wheel.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
sorry to hear about your problems ward, I hope you get them straightened out, good luck
Old 10-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Hey 1SICKLEX

If you don't have a TL then i dont wont your opinion!!!
Sence you have such great info to share...(post pics of your lexus, or whatever you drive)
Any info i posted was for fellow TL's, Not Lexus lovers. so go youself....
Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ward148
Hey 1SICKLEX

If you don't have a TL then i dont wont your opinion!!!
Sence you have such great info to share...(post pics of your lexus, or whatever you drive)
Any info i posted was for fellow TL's, Not Lexus lovers. so go youself....
I am disturbed. You want me to shut up, when what you have done is totally incorrect. And now feeling the repurcussions? Your wheels are too wide, to big for the TL. PERIOD.
You WILL have to roll fenders to make them fit.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am disturbed. You want me to shut up, when what you have done is totally incorrect. And now feeling the repurcussions? Your wheels are too wide, to big for the TL. PERIOD.
You WILL have to roll fenders to make them fit.

If you could post without being such an . Just about every time you post it's negative. (you clearly don't like the TL) Now why do you post more on ACURA-TL.COM then you do on your very own Lexus site. (is it the site that blow or the car)???

once again
Old 10-06-2004, 06:30 PM

If you could post without being such an . Just about every time you post it's negative. (you clearly don't like the TL) Now why do you post more on ACURA-TL.COM then you do on your very own Lexus site. (is it the site that blow or the car)???

once again
I am not being negative. I commented you bought some very high quality rims. (you did). everything else was wrong. I commented your execution was wrong.
19s x8.5s all around would have fit perfect and looked perfect.

There is some idiot right now that wants to throw 20s on his 1992 ES on Clublexus. He got it much worse from me.

You will need some custom fabrication I imagine. What part of Cali R U in? I can recommend a shop that knows what they are doing.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I am not being negative. I commented you bought some very high quality rims. (you did). everything else was wrong. I commented your execution was wrong.
19s x8.5s all around would have fit perfect and looked perfect.

There is some idiot right now that wants to throw 20s on his 1992 ES on Clublexus. He got it much worse from me.

You will need some custom fabrication I imagine. What part of Cali R U in? I can recommend a shop that knows what they are doing.
:wtf: This is the first time i've seen you act nice on TL forms??

Your not being negative I went though many of your post, all negative
And as for the postings on your site, you seem to have a different attitude there???

And know thanks i don't need your help but i'll let you now when i get a Lexus

PICS PLEASE???
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are they trying to say that it is your car (vin specific)? It may be a bit of a challenge, but if you could find someone willing to put your set up on their TL just to show that it wasn't your car and show their ignorance. Hey honestly if I was local I'd do it, we could put them on my car, load people up and go for a ride, as long as we stop after it rubs the first few times...lol. I assume that your TL has obviously never been hit, no frame damage, all oem minus the wheel tire combo. Do you think that they would own up to their mistake and help you out a bit if you could just prove them wrong? If it was the car, then Acura has some explaining to do!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:22 AM
Automobile Aficionado

20x10 = recipe for disaster.

Problem #1: If it rubs on the fender near the street: Best hope is to have fender professionally rolled and shaven by a body shop that specializes/frequently does this. ask your rim shop for a referral. this may save you a 1/4" of room. Anything beyond that is out of touch. If its done wrong--may crack your fender/paint.

Problem #2: If it rubs on the inner liner near the shocks: Best hope is put a 3-6 mm spacer that moves the wheel out some -- but of course this could cause problem #1. Also, a spacer may cause a vibration at freeway speeds.

If neither of the above work, you can sell/trade-in the rear wheels and tires and buy two more 20x9s and 245-35s for the rears---will likely solve your rubbing.

good luck.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Are they trying to say that it is your car (vin specific)? It may be a bit of a challenge, but if you could find someone willing to put your set up on their TL just to show that it wasn't your car and show their ignorance. Hey honestly if I was local I'd do it, we could put them on my car, load people up and go for a ride, as long as we stop after it rubs the first few times...lol. I assume that your TL has obviously never been hit, no frame damage, all oem minus the wheel tire combo. Do you think that they would own up to their mistake and help you out a bit if you could just prove them wrong? If it was the car, then Acura has some explaining to do!

Whats your address because i'm putting it in the navi and i'm on the way....lol....and as for the rubbing it adds a deep base, you'll love it!!!! (it's really not bad at all) No accidents here, it's because were working so tightly in the back with the big rims/tires. My car does stick out about an 1/8 inch or so more on the driver rear. Not a big deal because many cars do (Fords 1/4 drivers rear) (chevy sticks out i believe on the passengers side rear)

Once i find out that all the specs are ok on my car. I well pursue the matter more. It's just the fact he would have to pay for new tires (i think)

Thanks gotta nice there....
Old 10-07-2004, 01:17 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All 3G TL's stick out 1/8 inch on the drivers rear? Dang we've gotta get this figured out, I want to do a similar set up with 20's if possible. I'm pretty sure that if your rears were the same size as the fronts, it woudn't rub. Put 2 stock wheels and tires back on the front and substitute the current rears for the fronts, maybe even just swap the fronts and rears for the rubbing test. if the rears don't rub with the fronts in the back (confusing I know...) then you know it WILL work to have all the same size as the fronts (9 inch), contrary to what they are saying... Then you can push that with them. Maybe the more homework you do, the less excuses they can give you.

YIKES, I'm confusing myself...lol.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chusteveb
All 3G TL's stick out 1/8 inch on the drivers rear? Dang we've gotta get this figured out, I want to do a similar set up with 20's if possible. I'm pretty sure that if your rears were the same size as the fronts, it woudn't rub. Put 2 stock wheels and tires back on the front and substitute the current rears for the fronts, maybe even just swap the fronts and rears for the rubbing test. if the rears don't rub with the fronts in the back (confusing I know...) then you know it WILL work to have all the same size as the fronts (9 inch), contrary to what they are saying... Then you can push that with them. Maybe the more homework you do, the less excuses they can give you.

YIKES, I'm confusing myself...lol.

OMG... your a SAINT... I never even thought about putting the front tires on the back. As soon as i ask to change out the backs with a (9 inch rim 245/35/20 tire) he said it wont solve the problem because its the car! (now thats a great way of testing the rims/tires) In the next three days when i get to Oklahoma City i'll have to buy you a beer...lol...
Thanks again for the idea that's why i love this form....
Old 10-07-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

next time you get tires, get some thinner tires for the rear. that should help.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:46 PM
6th Gear

Hey Ward

Has swapping the front to the rear so you have 20x9 in the rear help at all with the rubbing?

are you still rubbing?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 PM
1st Gear

I was thinking of gettin some DUBS for my TL. Let me know how it goes.
Old 11-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Pro

Now this is were things changed. I asked about exchanging the backs for the same as the fronts (9inch rim 245/35/20) and he said it would still rub. He just states is a car problem not a rim/tire issue. Than i ask to exchange them for 19's (a nice NO to that because its a car issue)
That sounds very, very stupid.