Dampening adjustment Tein SA. Not much difference.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Dampening adjustment Tein SA. Not much difference.

I've been trying to dial in my preferred dampening settings and it seems like there isn't much change from softest to stiffest, so I have to be doing something wrong.

Based on Teins instructions I need to set to the stiffest setting and then roll back according to preference.

Here's what I'm doing. Because Tein mentions that even though you can go beyond the 16 clicks that you shouldn't because you can damage the struts. So, I set it to the softest (all the way counterclockwise), which would be 1. Then I go clockwise 15 clicks. This leaves me at 16 and what I would interpret as stiffest. I've set all four corners and I don't get much significant road feel upfront and I feel quite some "floating" and bouncy-ness in the rear. I softened them up and it was pretty much the same. Putting some pressure in the rear seat with my body weight the rebound really feels identical.

Out of frustration I turned the knobs past the 16 clicks and although I didn't drive as I was worried I may damage the struts I did do the test of putting down force with my body weight in the truck and it was stiff as fuck, barely any rebound. It actually felt like what the stiffest setting should be.

So, long post, but, any advice? Am I just confused about the instructions and misinterpreting them? After that test with my body weight I really feel like I'm off in my understanding!

Mr heeltoe! If you read this, guide me Sir with your all-knowing suspension insights!!

Cheers everyone!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
so i'm not sure if the SA are the same installation as the SS version, but on my SS you are supposed to go full stiff (clockwise) and then go back a maximum of 16 clicks for full soft. they say do not go past that 16th click towards soft otherwise you could damage the damper.

i think you did the opposite of what you're supposed to do. check the manual to see what it says or ask Tein for a copy. i don't think you did damage but i would try to make it right, right away.
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (07-21-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 315 Posts
I agree with Socker1 everyone I have worked on has been clockwise is stiffer
The following users liked this post:
JD TL-S (07-21-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Ahhhh!!! You're totally right! After reading the instructions with your explaination in mind it totally makes sense. I was misinterpreting, more so over analyzing the fact of not going past 16...luckily because I've been wanting a stiffer ride I've been at the softest setting so I've been safe in that I haven't gone beyond the 16 clicks!

Thanks so much for the help!

Originally Posted by sockr1
so i'm not sure if the SA are the same installation as the SS version, but on my SS you are supposed to go full stiff (clockwise) and then go back a maximum of 16 clicks for full soft. they say do not go past that 16th click towards soft otherwise you could damage the damper.

i think you did the opposite of what you're supposed to do. check the manual to see what it says or ask Tein for a copy. i don't think you did damage but i would try to make it right, right away.