Damn winter potholes

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn winter potholes

Well it finally happened. I got a flat tire hitting a pot hole in the pothole capital of Quebec in Montreal. My Toyo garit 235 45 17 is done. I am hoping my type s mag is ok. So I now have to get a used tire bring a Toyo garit 235 45 17? Or can I get any just another same size winter tire. It's my drivers front tire. Or do I have to shell out cash for 2 new ones? I can't find any garits on kijiji or Craigslist. I would love to hear your opinions.
Thanks
Old 02-20-2016, 01:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I had the same dilemma two days ago. My Goodyear Assuance Tripletred got chewed up from the inside (don't ask how), and had to find a replacement. My tire in particular is a directional tire, and the tread pattern is kindve in a world of its own so I was forced to buy the same tire.

A couple options you have -
1. buy the same tire (best option)

2. buy a tire with a similar tread, and put this new tire in the back, and rotate your wheels so the front two wheels are same brand and preferably similar tread life

*If you choose to buy a different tire from the other three, DO NOT put this tire in the front with a different branded tire. Adding a different tire to the mix will not only be noisier, but your vehicle will handle differently, and when going over water can possibly be horrific.
The following users liked this post:
VisualEchos (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Andrew

Received 532 Likes on 314 Posts
I was going to respond, but MyGuti knows his stuff. Perfectly stated.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I feel your pain.. A few weeks ago, I was driving to work, when the idiot construction crew didn't place the metal cover over the trench they dug correctly, so I ended up needing 4 new tires
Old 02-25-2016, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyGuti
I had the same dilemma two days ago. My Goodyear Assuance Tripletred got chewed up from the inside (don't ask how), and had to find a replacement. My tire in particular is a directional tire, and the tread pattern is kindve in a world of its own so I was forced to buy the same tire.

A couple options you have -
1. buy the same tire (best option)

2. buy a tire with a similar tread, and put this new tire in the back, and rotate your wheels so the front two wheels are same brand and preferably similar tread life

*If you choose to buy a different tire from the other three, DO NOT put this tire in the front with a different branded tire. Adding a different tire to the mix will not only be noisier, but your vehicle will handle differently, and when going over water can possibly be horrific.
Thanks for you help. I couldn't find one tire and I wasn't going to drop 500$+ for 2 new ones. I remembered that I have an extra tire that has a slight rubber separation, almost like 2 pieces are splitting near the inside. It's not terrible but it's been switched to the back. By mid March I can have my summers back on. Can't wait.