Cross drilled and slotted rotors help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm thinking about moving from Rotora to Stoptech rotors. IMO Duralast Gold provides the best combination of stopping power and low dust.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM
CARBON FIBER WDP TL

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You might want to look at the cost of the Brembo calipers and aftermarket stock sized rotors and stainless lines vs the cost of the Stoptech BBK by Excelerate. The Stoptech calipers are superior to the Brembo calipers and the benefits of a BBK are well known.
Right now the RL calipers are going for 300 used on ebay, right now im waiting to see if a connection at my local parts acura dealer can get them for a better price for me. The rotor will have to be 13" from stoptech and dont believe the stock TL will work with the RL calipers. But will check, thanks. My other connects is a distubutor for stoptech so I cam get a hood price.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
What's up everyone.

I have a 2007 TL-S, 57k miles - stock everything.

Back in August 2011 I knew i was needing new brakes front/back so I proceeded and ordered stock Honda OEM brake pads on ebay from an Acura dealer in NY that were at a good price compared to local dealers and buying pads from autozone, pep boys, etc.... As I went in for an oil change on 1/12/13, turns out my rear brakes are at a "9/10" scale and my fronts are at a "3/10". I found it hard to believe since I only use my car weeknights and weekends (use public trans to/from work) so basically my car is hardly used and since Aug 2011 have probably only put 8k miles on.

I was told that my rotors were fine when I replaced the pads and figured the next pad change I would be upgrading my rotors to drilled/slotted. Now, I'm waiting to take my car to my mechanic so he can check my brake pads since I don't believe dealer. I've been told by one dealer "you need new brakes, want us to take care of that for you" and on the next oil change at another location "your brakes are good, you'll need them soon though". With all that being said and reading through this thread, I am now torn. Idk which rotors to order and what pads to use.

Do I just replace my front rotors and pads and let the rear wear out? or should i swap both front/back rotors and replace front pads? so confused. lol

Also, are there any mods that need to be made when replacing the original rear rotors?

Please advise. Thanks everyone
Old 01-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by revel_one
What's up everyone.

I have a 2007 TL-S, 57k miles - stock everything.
Idk which rotors to order and what pads to use.

Do I just replace my front rotors and pads and let the rear wear out? or should i swap both front/back rotors and replace front pads? so confused. lol

Also, are there any mods that need to be made when replacing the original rear rotors?

Please advise. Thanks everyone
i have 59k on my type s and I have only replaced the front pads once...I have not replaced the rear pads yet, but the front typically will wear faster. i would just replace the front and let the rear pads stay on there.

when i went in to change the fronts, the mechanic said i should change the rotor at the same time instead of machining it.

no mods needed to change the rotors. go with stoptech or brakemotive rotors. for pads i went with stoptech and i'm very happy about the performance and minimal dust.
The following users liked this post:
revel_one (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
i have 59k on my type s and I have only replaced the front pads once...I have not replaced the rear pads yet, but the front typically will wear faster. i would just replace the front and let the rear pads stay on there.

when i went in to change the fronts, the mechanic said i should change the rotor at the same time instead of machining it.

no mods needed to change the rotors. go with stoptech or brakemotive rotors. for pads i went with stoptech and i'm very happy about the performance and minimal dust.
did you use stoptechs rotors as well? I typically see both stoptech and brakemotive names thrown out in all the brake/rotor discussions and the same argument/preference that some people have about one being better than the other.

I just find it weird that my mechanic told me the rotors were fine but maybe on the next brake job they would need to be replaced and he isn't fond of machining the rotors also. As mentioned both front/back brakes were replaced but to compare 90/100 on rear and 30/100 on front in 16month (8k miles - mostly city driving) ? kind of crazy to me.

I'm hoping that my mechanic has time to check them out this weekend or tell me that the dealer is simply pulling my leg to get some $$$

thanks again everyone
Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

did you use stoptechs rotors as well? I typically see both stoptech and brakemotive names thrown out in all the brake/rotor discussions and the same argument/preference that some people have about one being better than the other.

I just find it weird that my mechanic told me the rotors were fine but maybe on the next brake job they would need to be replaced and he isn't fond of machining the rotors also. As mentioned both front/back brakes were replaced but to compare 90/100 on rear and 30/100 on front in 16month (8k miles - mostly city driving) ? kind of crazy to me.

I'm hoping that my mechanic has time to check them out this weekend or tell me that the dealer is simply pulling my leg to get some $$$

thanks again everyone
i was expecting them to machine my rotors so i didn't pre-buy rotors, so they just used whatever they had on the shelf, which sucks cuz the hubs rust and look horrible and i wanted the slotted rotors. i don't think you can go wrong with stoptech or brakemotive.

city driving is more harsh on the brakes and it depends on how you drive with relation to wear. keep us updated!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sockr1
i was expecting them to machine my rotors so i didn't pre-buy rotors, so they just used whatever they had on the shelf, which sucks cuz the hubs rust and look horrible and i wanted the slotted rotors. i don't think you can go wrong with stoptech or brakemotive.

city driving is more harsh on the brakes and it depends on how you drive with relation to wear. keep us updated!
Decisions decisions.. I'm not a crazy driver but am aware that city driving (stop/go more often) will wear them more than highway drivers.

Did you ever swap your rotors after Sockr1?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Decisions decisions.. I'm not a crazy driver but am aware that city driving (stop/go more often) will wear them more than highway drivers.

Did you ever swap your rotors after Sockr1?
Nope still have generic rotors with stop tech pads on front and original pads and rotors on back. Going to sand and paint my rusty front hubs soon
Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a good match up of ceramic pads to use with StopTech slotted rotors. I believe StopTech doesn't have any ceramic pads for 07 TL.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i need new front n rear brakes as well, any decent places in socal? pads n rotors needed!
Old 01-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by 4drferio
i need new front n rear brakes as well, any decent places in socal? pads n rotors needed!
If you're looking for something other than autoparts store pads and rotors, one of our vendors, Mr Heeltoe is in SoCal.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
I had the Brakemotive brakes on my 5at and never had an issue.

I just got them for my Type-S because I got a great deal on them.

I still haven't heard of anyone having any major issues. Only complaint I have is that they are noisy, but that comes with all drilled rotors as far as I know.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
i just ordered front stop tech/power slot/centric slotted rotors (unbeknownst to me, its all 1 company) and stoptech street pads. $297 shipped from autoanything on ebay (theyre in socal).

had to pay in-state sales tax, but it was cheaper than paying for shipping due to weight.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by powdbyrice
i just ordered front stop tech/power slot/centric slotted rotors (unbeknownst to me, its all 1 company) and stoptech street pads. $297 shipped from autoanything on ebay (theyre in socal).

had to pay in-state sales tax, but it was cheaper than paying for shipping due to weight.
In the future shoot us a PM. We'd be happy to help you out and there wouldn't be CA sales tax with us.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
good to know. :-)

Name:  20130207_222356_zps4c24fc5e.jpg
Views: 4951
Size:  103.5 KB
Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by quanaman
I had the Brakemotive brakes on my 5at and never had an issue.

I just got them for my Type-S because I got a great deal on them.

I still haven't heard of anyone having any major issues. Only complaint I have is that they are noisy, but that comes with all drilled rotors as far as I know.
I hope you are right because I just ordered me some from Brakemotive.