Could alignment or tight wheels cause vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Could alignment or tight wheels cause vibrations?

So I got my car serviced and had an alignment done, steering wheel is still slightly to the right but w/e don't want to piss the dealer off too much. Well this never happend before but around cruising speeds from 60-80mph there's a small vibration felt through the steering wheel. The dealer had the nerve so ask how long have you had it for since the service, I said two days. Then he said ALOT COULD HAVE HAPPEND IN 2 days!! After flipping out he said sorry lol. So could the tech over tighten my lugs or the alignment set the steering straight and cause the tires to set differently?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
wheel weight might have fallen off. I've seen it happen.

Just go back man.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Over-tightening can cause vibration issues.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
did you just have the alignment done, or did you have the tires rotated/changed??

be firm about this with the dealer. they may not be able to get your car up to those speeds to reproduce the vibration. and if your wheel is just off center a touch (mine was when it was aligned 6 mos ago i told my dealer that ("yeah but the numbers are really good..." says the dealer, its straight now, since the recent alignment-dropped in new suspension), and it bugs you...tell them. its not about pissing off the dealer. its your car. and if you are as particular/picky/anal as many of us on AZ are about our cars....you should go back and talk with them. i've been down this route with my dealer. they know i'm the anal chick that only works with one advisor now and wants things done a certain way (no wash BTW). the upside is that i have a long history with my dealer so they don't seem to mind too much in terms of making sure i'm happy.

they will tell you its a wheel and tire issue. yes we know that, but why did the vibration start AFTER you had your alignment? go back and make nice with them and see what happens.

OR as ken 1997tl stated with your lugs...you could try and loosen and re-torque those if you have a torque wrench handy.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Racer

Thanks! I'm sitting in the dealer waiting room now, 40 min already. Their still figuring out why, when I did a 3x3 flush today I figure I'd try to tighten the nuts thinking they were loose, well it wouldn't budge thinking it's on there tight! Anywho I'll see what bs they feed me later. Maybe it's a good time to invest in a harbor freight torque wrench.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Racer

Well after an hour and a half wait they said they found nothing wrong and probably just need a balance which they didn't do. They drove the car to 80mph to see if the issue happend again, guarantee the tech drove the crap out of it, found the radio was on when I turned it off, found the a/c on so they were cruising and just said oh it's fine. What a joke. They suggested I need new tires and to just wait then get the balance to see if it helps. blah.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by usmarinedelta
Well after an hour and a half wait they said they found nothing wrong and probably just need a balance which they didn't do. They drove the car to 80mph to see if the issue happend again, guarantee the tech drove the crap out of it, found the radio was on when I turned it off, found the a/c on so they were cruising and just said oh it's fine. What a joke. They suggested I need new tires and to just wait then get the balance to see if it helps. blah.
yeah they blast the ac and turn on the stereo if its off to make sure it works properly.

you should have taken a ride with the tech. i had/have a vibration in my car after a tire install and align. they first said oh everything is fine. i was so annoyed, i really insisted it exists. so with much persistence and multiple visits, the shop foreman drove the car with me in it which gave me a chance to tell him exactly what i was feeling. and low and behold...he actually felt what i was talking about. he enlightened me on the touchiness of the TL's suspension and the alignment being finicky. well after a road force balance (they didn't do the tire install, they subletted, fancy rims and all), two replaced axles (which were bad, i knew about those already)...i still have a subtle vibration at hwy speeds. my next step will be to replace my wheel spacers with custom hubcentric spacers (i don't remember if the other spacers were hubcentric or not).

so i say be persistent. get the shop foreman if possible to drive the car with YOU in it. go over the alignment numbers...usually the shop foreman is a lot more knowledgeable than the techs. talk to the service manager if you have to especially if the service advisor is writing you off and going by what the tech said. i haven't had to go that route...yet. my SA is always trying to be helpful, and so far he's been great. your dealer as of right now sounds like they are BS ing you just to get rid of you. speak to the service mgr.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Over-tightening can cause vibration issues.
not as likely on an Acura, but still possibly (in general more likely to happen on domestics)

BUT on the original Honda Insight, they had actually used aluminum hubs on it, and actually recommended against any impact gun usage even with a torque-stick, because they warp so easily, so only a torque wrench is recommended
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Racer

TltriGirl, thanks for your insight you too friesm, the person I spoke with is actually the service manager and he's nice but said oh it's probably your tires because they need replaced, ok whatever I now ordered tires that's few hundred dollars and see if that makes a difference. He said because the alignment set the tires straight they are now aligned a different way than they were used to and have different contact patch. I also thought about motor mounts but the vibrate is very little, the wheel doesn't shake but you can feel it through the wheel tho.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

TltriGirl, thanks for your insight you too friesm, the person I spoke with is actually the service manager and he's nice but said oh it's probably your tires because they need replaced, ok whatever I now ordered tires that's few hundred dollars and see if that makes a difference. He said because the alignment set the tires straight they are now aligned a different way than they were used to and have different contact patch. I also thought about motor mounts but the vibrate is very little, the wheel doesn't shake but you can feel it through the wheel tho.
i guess i can buy that....for now. it will be interesting once you get new tires. makes you wonder what they are doing for an hour and a half. you r car was probably sitting around waiting to be seen until they could get to it. let us know the outcome once you get new tires.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
dang what a can of worms..

hope it gets sorted out.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
What abount the off center steering wheel?
They need to put it back on the rack to straighten it out. They are lazy as they should have taken it for a ride to check the steering wheel before pronouncing it finished and returning it to the customer. Probably thought you'd never notice.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Racer

The steering wheel is a hairline off to the right, still annoying when driving when long distances. I've ordered tires and we'll see! I will retorque my lugs tomorrow and update. However I'm thinking about getting a front engine mount or go all out and buy all the mounts to see if that helps. I prefer to get one mount at a time to see if it helps. I've read somewhere and I have a additional vibration when the car doesn't have enough torque meaning I accelerate halfway at 1600 rpms it's a small bit of vibration too, any luck? The dealer did push me around, then again they offered my timing belt job with alignment and 1 dent removed for $966.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Vibration in that area is almost always balancing, so don't spend extra money on possibilities. Wait until the new tires are installed and hopefully the shop will do a proper balancing job.
As far as the dealer goodwill gesture, a timing belt job can be found for $400-$700, the additional alignment should be free to correct the wheel position, and a PDR shop should do the job for @ $100.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:20 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

upside about getting the timing belt job etc at the dealer...at least you get a loaner for the day or two while they have your car.

hmm...let's say $700 for timing belt (although the dealer would usually charge in upwards of $1100 most likely), $125 for alignment (i agree this should be checked for free ie courtesy), and $100 for the dent...=$925 + taxes.

how much you willing to pay for convenience (for the loaner), customer service, and peace of mind that the car was serviced by the "experts" at the dealer?? you may have pull in your favor after the new tires if the vibration is still there (like the alignment, free or at least a discount).

wheel balancing...consider road force balancing over the typical dynamic spin balance. NTB did a crap job with the dynamic balance (vibrations from hell). had to cough up money for the dealer to do the road force balance and that helped fix most of the vibration (now its just subtle).

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-09-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Racer

The service was $775 for the timing belt water pump, and drive belt installed. They called me to tell me that I need a new tensioner that's not included so that was another $140ish. Then an alignment. And a $50 credit I used to remove one lousy ding. But get this, they DID NOT give me a rental car, they said they didn't offer it at that dealer. W/e. Just so you guys know I will definitly keep you updated. Tltrigirl, my friend at the dealer can get me all three motor mounts for cheaper than acuraoemparts.com and he has them in stock, my car doesn't vibrate too much but figure I might need them in the future, should I wait or get them now while he has them? I just spent close to $1k for service, than $450 for tires, another $1k for aspec kit and misc bulbs and junk. So i'm hurt from spending the money haha. Heads up discount tire direct has free shipping on tires and the hankook I ordered included a $40 rebate too making it about $100 per tire!
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

The service was $775 for the timing belt water pump, and drive belt installed. They called me to tell me that I need a new tensioner that's not included so that was another $140ish. Then an alignment. And a $50 credit I used to remove one lousy ding. But get this, they DID NOT give me a rental car, they said they didn't offer it at that dealer. W/e. Just so you guys know I will definitly keep you updated. Tltrigirl, my friend at the dealer can get me all three motor mounts for cheaper than acuraoemparts.com and he has them in stock, my car doesn't vibrate too much but figure I might need them in the future, should I wait or get them now while he has them? I just spent close to $1k for service, than $450 for tires, another $1k for aspec kit and misc bulbs and junk. So i'm hurt from spending the money haha. Heads up discount tire direct has free shipping on tires and the hankook I ordered included a $40 rebate too making it about $100 per tire!
no loaner??!! WTF?! i know your pain i went through spending money on my maintenance, then new tires (which i knew i would need stupid good years that were total crap-9K miles and less than a year, they were toast), then all the balance crap, then on new axles (this i knew about and thankfully most of it was covered by my car insurance mechanical breakdown coverage) last fall. and every time i was there to leave the car (the 4 times they kept it)...i got a loaner over night b/c i wasn't going to drive in rush hour to get back to the dealer to pick my car up. the motor mounts...that's up to you. if the tires take care of the problem...you could save the cash. i counted, 13 times i was at the dealer for all of this in a matter of 7 weeks. yeah they love me now. but seriously, they now know how i am, my advisor even has them park my car in the least likely place for lot damage. yes i'm super anal when it comes to my car. so he takes car of my baby while its away from home.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 04-09-2011 at 10:08 AM.