Comptech Rear sway bar installed - Problem with Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comptech Rear sway bar installed - Problem with Bushings

I ordered the Comptech sway bar and energy greasable bushing set to go on my 05 TL 6MT w/NAV from Excelerate. I installed the sway bar last weekend but was unable to use the energy bushings because the brackets were what appeared to me to be to big for the stock holes in the car. I tried several scencarios, none of which worked.

- I tried installing the bushings with the stock bolts 'as is' when you take then off from the original. The holes in the slots of the bushing bracket were to big and potential for the bolts to slip thru.

- I then tried installing the busings with the stock bolts with the new washers, but they were to big and didn't leave enough room for me to get the bolts into the holes in the car.

Anyway, I ended up installing the bushings that came with the comptech sway bar with the original brackets from the stock sway bar. The energy bushings are clearly superior to these and I want to get them on. The part # is for a 22m bar but for some reason has a "R" after the part number which I don't see anywhere when I look it up. The part Number is 9.5158R..... is this correct?

By the way the sway bar was easy to install. No need to take off a wheel or the exhaust like some folks say. Just drive it up on Rhino ramps ($20 plastic ramps) and you can weasel it out. It took me about 1 hour and that was interupted briefly by a chatty neighbor stopping by.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Advanced

Comptech Install

Originally Posted by TLinNOVA
I ordered the Comptech sway bar and energy greasable bushing set to go on my 05 TL 6MT w/NAV from Excelerate. I installed the sway bar last weekend but was unable to use the energy bushings because the brackets were what appeared to me to be to big for the stock holes in the car. I tried several scencarios, none of which worked.

- I tried installing the bushings with the stock bolts 'as is' when you take then off from the original. The holes in the slots of the bushing bracket were to big and potential for the bolts to slip thru.

- I then tried installing the busings with the stock bolts with the new washers, but they were to big and didn't leave enough room for me to get the bolts into the holes in the car.

Anyway, I ended up installing the bushings that came with the comptech sway bar with the original brackets from the stock sway bar. The energy bushings are clearly superior to these and I want to get them on. The part # is for a 22m bar but for some reason has a "R" after the part number which I don't see anywhere when I look it up. The part Number is 9.5158R..... is this correct?

By the way the sway bar was easy to install. No need to take off a wheel or the exhaust like some folks say. Just drive it up on Rhino ramps ($20 plastic ramps) and you can weasel it out. It took me about 1 hour and that was interupted briefly by a chatty neighbor stopping by.
To get the greasable Energy Suspension bushings to fit you'll need to do the following:

1. Cut a segment off of the washer so that it will have a flat spot on one side to fit closer to the bracket.
2. File out the hole in the bracket to elongate it on the side closest to the inside of the bracket.
3. Buy longer 25 mm bolts so that you can get the bolts started before the bracket contacts the frame.

There was a good write-up on this in another string. Search the forum for greasable Energy Suspension to find it.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

No Kidding that is crazy... I wonder why they use the term "universal"

Now that I know the bracket really wasn't designed for the car I will go ahead and do the modification to the bracket as you detailed above. Thanks bud
Old 08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of people got the non-greasable kind as they fit perfectly.