Comptech Rear Sway Bar Installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Rear Sway Bar Installed

After reading all the rave reviews of adding the Comptech rear sway bar to various TL's, I decided to buy one. Well, I received it yesterday and put it on today. First of all, I would like to thank all the individuals who posted their experience and recommendations on doing the install since it was very handy. As far as my install, it surprised me how easy it went. I tried to do no amount of disconnecting (exhaust/wheels) at first to see if it could be done easily. After trying, I decided to remove the drivers side wheel which at that time allowed the sway bar to be removed without hesitation. Putting the new bar in was even easier. At no time did I have to pull down on the exhaust system or pry what-so-ever. The only side I jacked up was the left rear also. I did this by myself and it took about a half hour which caught me by surprise. I felt like I forgot to do something but after rechecking twice, I didn't.

Now the drive. Nobody is kidding on the dramatic difference it makes. I highly recommend this mod to anyone. Body roll is almost completely taken away and you don't have to push your car to the limits to feel it.

For those wondering, I do have the auto trans which is the red headed step-child in regards to the rear sway bar so it is probably much more noticeable than replacing the one on the 6mt.

The next step is to change the suspension over to a-spec. I have read those posts as well and will use that advise during the install. Does anyone know who is still selling the suspension for the automatic? I have seen the e-bay sales and no one appears to be selling just the suspension which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again to all for the helpful advise.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:56 AM
Cruisin'

Falconi Acura in Las Vegas is selling just the suspension. $700 shipped. I think Escondido was selling it for a while, but when I checked they were only selling a steering wheel and suspension "package".
Old 12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Thanks. I'll try contacting both.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:28 PM
Big Brother is Watching..

do you have the auto or 6 speed TL. i have a 6 speed, and i eager to know if the 2mm difference is really worht the 90 bux for the sway bar
Old 12-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Team Anthracite #100

I bought my A-spec supension off E-bay from Falconi Acura in Las Vegas. I noticed they are no longer an E-bay member, and they no longer list an E-bay store. Hopefully they still sell this kit. They were awesome to deal with! Maybe you can contact them via e-mail. Here is their address: PARTS@LASVEGASACURA.COM Or you can call them at (702) 367-6400. Good luck to you.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboSam
do you have the auto or 6 speed TL. i have a 6 speed, and i eager to know if the 2mm difference is really worht the 90 bux for the sway bar
It says below he has an auto. I have a 6mt and just received the sway bar this morning. I will be installing it this week and will let you know whether or not I feel the difference. I already have the A-Spec suspension and noticed a huge difference when I installed it.
Below is a link to the thread that discusses the difference. Look at my post, it is the second from the top.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95318

Comptech is 22mm, stock TL is 20mm.

Area of a circle is pi*r^2

Area of the stock 6MT bar is 314 sq mm
Area of the Comptech bar is 380 sq mm.

According to the calculations I did, the Comptech has a 21% larger cross-sectional surface area which should make the bar noticeable.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Pro

It's the bar's bending moment of inertia (I) that contributes to its stiffness. In this case, I=PI*D^4 (D is the outside diameter and PI = 3.14...). When comparing the two bars, the 22mm bar is about 46% stiffer than the 20mm bar assuming they are both are solid and made of the same grade steel.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:45 PM
Racer

Is there anything else that is stiffer than Comptech? Is more stiffer sway better for TL? or is Comptech good enough?
Old 12-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro

Ooops, it's actually I=(PI*D^4)/64, I forgot the 64.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by GoBig
It's the bar's bending moment of inertia (I) that contributes to its stiffness. In this case, I=PI*D^4 (D is the outside diameter and PI = 3.14...). When comparing the two bars, the 22mm bar is about 46% stiffer than the 20mm bar assuming they are both are solid and made of the same grade steel.
Yah what he said... I obviously only took Intro to Physics. But GoBig seems to know what he is talking about... the point is that the Comptech should be noticeable stiffer than the 6mt sway bar.
Old 12-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
could you please give me the link for the install information for the Comptech sway bar. I just purchased one and I need to put it in.... THANKS
Old 12-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Spryster
could you please give me the link for the install information for the Comptech sway bar. I just purchased one and I need to put it in.... THANKS
It's actually really easy, I just got done doing my RSX's. Instructions for TL
Even though this is for '03, it's the same concept...
Old 12-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Banned

where did you buy the swaybar? how long did it take to get? and what was the total cost?

i bought mine through the Store on this site.

it comes with rubber bushings, anyone know where i can get poly bushings?

thanks.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:20 PM
Car Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
captain, any 6mt reviews?

6mt tl would be awesome with a stiffer rear bar in back.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
captain, any 6mt reviews?

6mt tl would be awesome with a stiffer rear bar in back.
I am getting it installed this week. I have had the A-Spec suspension for a few months now so I should be able to detect a difference. I will let you know as soon as I get it installed.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:22 PM
10th Gear

Hey thanks to this post i went up and did the install i had the sway bar for a week...i did what he said..

jacked up the driver side and took off the wheel...i put an extra jackstand under just incase...all you need is a 13 and 14 mm and your good to go took me about 40 min though cuz i installed it upside down at first but defenitly do it yourself it saves ya money.....and you don't need to take off the exhuast..just wiggle and manuevar the bar..i didn't even need to pull the exhaust down..in addition when you take out the original sway bar make sure you take a key look onto where and how to place the parts on the comptech..this will help you
Old 01-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Instructor

Thanks guys for the review and install method. I ordered my rear sway bar last night so it shoud be here in a week or two. Install sounds like a cake walk. I'm looking forward to taking those turns a little faster.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:04 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by captain
I am getting it installed this week. I have had the A-Spec suspension for a few months now so I should be able to detect a difference. I will let you know as soon as I get it installed.
Any update on this? I am still waiting for someone with the 6MT to review this and have not heard anything from anyone.....

....I may just have to buy and try myself!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by insmanblue
Thanks guys for the review and install method. I ordered my rear sway bar last night so it shoud be here in a week or two. Install sounds like a cake walk. I'm looking forward to taking those turns a little faster.
mine was a FedEx attempted delivery today, but i was not at home. i'll get it tomorrow.

i hope to have it installed this weekend (on my '04 5AT)
Old 01-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cvajs
mine was a FedEx attempted delivery today, but i was not at home. i'll get it tomorrow.

i hope to have it installed this weekend (on my '04 5AT)
I just received my yesterday. Now I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I install. It is probably colder in NY though. Damn it, the heck with the cold I'll install tomorrow. Let us know how you like the new sway bar.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
Any update on this? I am still waiting for someone with the 6MT to review this and have not heard anything from anyone.....

....I may just have to buy and try myself!!!
I am going to Sears on Saturday to buy my torque wrench and do the install. I will let you know this weekend.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

I'm glad to know this thread has helped even though there are others that helped me. Just to add a couple of things......a torque wrench, although excellent to have and important, probably isn't necessary for this job. I didn't use mine but it obviously won't hurt to use one. The other thing I noticed was that they had a material that kinda acted like "lock-tight" on the bolts which I forgot to recommend that you should add when putting everything back together so that vibration doesn't possibly loosen anything.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally Posted by db252
After reading all the rave reviews of adding the Comptech rear sway bar to various TL's, I decided to buy one. Well, I received it yesterday and put it on today. First of all, I would like to thank all the individuals who posted their experience and recommendations on doing the install since it was very handy. As far as my install, it surprised me how easy it went. I tried to do no amount of disconnecting (exhaust/wheels) at first to see if it could be done easily. After trying, I decided to remove the drivers side wheel which at that time allowed the sway bar to be removed without hesitation. Putting the new bar in was even easier. At no time did I have to pull down on the exhaust system or pry what-so-ever. The only side I jacked up was the left rear also. I did this by myself and it took about a half hour which caught me by surprise. I felt like I forgot to do something but after rechecking twice, I didn't.

Now the drive. Nobody is kidding on the dramatic difference it makes. I highly recommend this mod to anyone. Body roll is almost completely taken away and you don't have to push your car to the limits to feel it.

For those wondering, I do have the auto trans which is the red headed step-child in regards to the rear sway bar so it is probably much more noticeable than replacing the one on the 6mt.

The next step is to change the suspension over to a-spec. I have read those posts as well and will use that advise during the install. Does anyone know who is still selling the suspension for the automatic? I have seen the e-bay sales and no one appears to be selling just the suspension which is what I'm looking for.

Thanks again to all for the helpful advise.
Can you elaborate on the handling, before and after. is it really that noticeable? And, why wouldn't manufacturer's do this from the beginning? i mean what's the detriment of having this on vs. stock? I'm not exactly happy with the TL auto's cornering/handling after coming out of a BMW w/ a manual tranny. And where did you purchase it and how much?
Old 01-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

To elaborate, with the stock sway bar there was noticeable body roll (make a right/left turn and the rear of the car on the same side would lift) especially while slowing or braking in the turn. To think that such a minor modification could make such a difference is an understatement. What baffles me even more is that there is different sizes of the sway bar between the manual and the auto. Stock sizes are 20mm and 17mm respectively. The Comptech sway bar is 22mm which doesn't sound like a lot but it is. The result is almost total elimination of body roll - basically your car stays flat in turns and it IS noticeable. People who have changed the sway bar on the manual transmission even say so. I have no idea why the manufacturer doesn't do this from the start. It doesn't seem like a cost issue and it would even make more sense to have one size for both transmission models instead of two.

I purchased it at www.comptechusa.com It is around $117. Living in the L.A. are, you should get it in 2 days since it only took 1 for me.

I am also going to be putting on the a-spec suspension at the urging of others and their input on how it makes a better thing even better. Crazy.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Automobile Aficionado

wow. out of nowhere i am suddenly going to buy this comptech sway bar thingee.

plus i searched all threads on springs and looks like its between a-spec, comptech, and eibach.

i had eibach on my Legend and I thought the ride was still smooth but most people in these threads have said Eibach is too harsh, hmmn?

a-spec seems to have the best ride and improved handling but it only lowers the car 1/2" inch and it seems its difficult/expensive to buy w/o the whole a-spec kit? how much is it and do dealers have them now?

comptech seems to be good as well.

i'm still unsure about which one is best for the TL.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Twenties
wow. out of nowhere i am suddenly going to buy this comptech sway bar thingee.

plus i searched all threads on springs and looks like its between a-spec, comptech, and eibach.

i had eibach on my Legend and I thought the ride was still smooth but most people in these threads have said Eibach is too harsh, hmmn?

a-spec seems to have the best ride and improved handling but it only lowers the car 1/2" inch and it seems its difficult/expensive to buy w/o the whole a-spec kit? how much is it and do dealers have them now?

comptech seems to be good as well.

i'm still unsure about which one is best for the TL.
the swabybar on AT models makes a big diff. as for springs, there are many options. i went with Eibach 4044.140's and probably Tokico Illumina shocks (just waiting for some shock specs before i buy them). however, the best deal going right now is a Tein Basic Coilover package ($712 in the store). but you have B&G, Tein, Eibach, Comptech (eibach makes these), H&R, Neuspeed springs to choose from.

i highly suggest new shocks and a camber kit if you use lowering springs. a-spec is probably just 1/2" because anymore than that you should install a camber kit (ingolls seems to be the best for fronts, i got the full SPC kit).

hope this helps
Old 01-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Racer

I'm glad to know this thread has helped even though there are others that helped me. Just to add a couple of things......a torque wrench, although excellent to have and important, probably isn't necessary for this job. I didn't use mine but it obviously won't hurt to use one. The other thing I noticed was that they had a material that kinda acted like "lock-tight" on the bolts which I forgot to recommend that you should add when putting everything back together so that vibration doesn't possibly loosen anything.
Thanks for the Lok-Tite recommendation. However, the directions instruct you to torque the bolts back so thats what I am going to do.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Intermediate

Found the comptech swaybar for anyone who wants to save a little $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...945653626&rd=1
Old 01-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Advanced

Interesting...I'm not sure if disappointed is the word, but that is how I feel when describing the TL's handling. I mean I'm comparing it to my previous car (Subaru WRX) and I understand that we're talking apples and oranges which is why I'm not sure if I can use the word disappointed.

But if the RSB (which I know my WRX used to have OEM as that is the type of car it is) can make that much of a difference I might be getting one.

One question re: suspension is why is the ASPEC suspension so much more expensive than say other brands is it basically because it's "Acura" or are we talking about a significant difference quality, etc. wise which would justify the higher price.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLNJ
Interesting...I'm not sure if disappointed is the word, but that is how I feel when describing the TL's handling. I mean I'm comparing it to my previous car (Subaru WRX) and I understand that we're talking apples and oranges which is why I'm not sure if I can use the word disappointed.

But if the RSB (which I know my WRX used to have OEM as that is the type of car it is) can make that much of a difference I might be getting one.

One question re: suspension is why is the ASPEC suspension so much more expensive than say other brands is it basically because it's "Acura" or are we talking about a significant difference quality, etc. wise which would justify the higher price.
aspec = overpriced oem parts. buy aftermarket.
Old 01-07-2005, 06:51 PM
Instructor

Well I tried very hard to install the Comtech sway bar. If you have an impact driver things would go very fast. It pays to have the right tools! I tried to unscrew the nut to this bolt that was attached to a ball joint and there is no way to get the nut loose without the impact driver. I could not get enough torque to loosen the bolt. I paid my mechanic up the street $38 for the install and it was well worth it. I got to drive the TL a bit afterwards and the new bar makes a big difference in cornering. The car seems more confedent. Or maybe its me. Well worth the money!
Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLNJ

$600 for 4 springs that are already seated on 4 struts is not expensive. It is probably cheaper than most aftermarket parts.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Banned

$600 for 4 springs that are already seated on 4 struts is not expensive. It is probably cheaper than most aftermarket parts.
is it really only $600 for the a-spec shock/springs/installed ??

Tokico Illumina & Eibach 4044.140 $635
Tein Basic kit $730
Koni/Eibach kit $795

i would opt for aftermarket parts.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Racer

Tein Basic kit $730
Koni/Eibach kit $795

$970 with shipping and installed which is still probably better than the installed price of aftermarket springs and struts. In most aftermarket cases you are going to have to pay to have the springs seated. Also, the Acura parts are better for resale and imo will probably help you avoid any warranty issues.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Banned

$970 with shipping and installed which is still probably better than the installed price of aftermarket springs and struts. In most aftermarket cases you are going to have to pay to have the springs seated. Also, the Acura parts are better for resale and imo will probably help you avoid any warranty issues.
well, if you live close-by to me i'll seat the springs for free (hydraulic compressor comes in handy).

i think the aftermarket stuff offers more in terms of suspension.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:56 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Talking

Found the comptech swaybar for anyone who wants to save a little $.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...945653626&rd=1
NOT ANY MORE !!!
JUST GOT THE LAST ONE.... :P

For $105 w/shipping, I couldn't resist.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM
VTEC HoooA

well, if you live close-by to me i'll seat the springs for free (hydraulic compressor comes in handy).

In the end it all comes down to what you are looking for. It is obvious that you (like others, including myself) found the stock suspension to be lacking. I went with the A-Spec to avoid frustrating experiences with installers (aftermarket parts), rubbing issues, bottoming out issues, and to improve upon the stock setup. Overall the A-Spec feels more sport oriented than stock, but to be honest in some ways it is still lacking. There is still noticeable dive on hard braking, significant rear end squat under hard acceleration, and that bottoming out feeling is unfortunately still present in the suspension.

If you want to go stock the A-Spec is a nice gradual improvement, but it does not compare to aftermarket parts. I had a significantly tighter, sportier feel on my civic with the Tokico/Neuspeed setup that I installed. Granted these are not the same cars (Accord chassis vs Civic chassis) but there was a significant difference!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
NOT ANY MORE !!!
JUST GOT THE LAST ONE.... :P

For $105 w/shipping, I couldn't resist.
No need to worry, Comptech sells them direct...

http://www.comptechusa.com/store/product412.html
Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

I don't think CVAJS does anything for free any longer. I emailed him for some moleskin and he said he no longer does moleskin. What happened with CVAJS?
Old 03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Tein Basic kit $730
Koni/Eibach kit $795

I got the A-Spec suspension for $600.00 from Gold Coast ACURA in Ventura. My buddy does body work on tons of nice cars and charged me $250.00 for the install. I ordered the COMTECH RSB for $117.00 shipped. It should get here tomorrow. I will pay him $40.00 considering it only took him only 45 minutes to do the front suspension.

Quick Reply: Comptech Rear Sway Bar Installed