Chromed 2006 wheel ?... Diff from 05/04 wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Animal Whisperer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chromed 2006 wheel ?... Diff from 05/04 wheels?

I know it has been discussed before, but… I need a definitive answer since I’ve heard different things here. In short, in a previous thread I mentioned someone had hit me and forced me over a curb. Three out of four wheels got curb/car rash and GEICO is paying $160/wheel to refinish ‘em. As I wanted different wheels to begin with, I was thinking of chroming mine. I have talked to someone from an eBay auction who will do it for approximately $500 plus $100 shipped since the wear is minimal.

Thing is they do an exchange program and they will keep mine and send me replacements. Some places insist they have 06 wheels to send to me, some say they don’t, but the 05s and such are the exact same, which I thought was not the case. They say only the valve stem is different, but isn’t the wheel itself different w/the recesses for the TPMS? If I got an older wheel, that wouldn’t be good for the sensor, right? That could cause problems and such, right? Any TRUE advice appreciated. I’m thoroughly confused now. Thanks!

Rey :)

P.S. Total price chromed for me would be $120 if I go through with this. I’m open to other suggestions if you guys have any wheelvice to give! I wanted the A-Spec wheels, but they are a small fortune, was holding out ‘till I got a curb rash, never thought it’d be so soon that I was shopping though, so this option seems to be my best/cheapest bet.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
I can't prove it so you may have to ask the dealer, but I think the recesses on the TL are for looks, or maybe so people will know it's an 06. The reason I say this is because the RL wheels have the same TPMS valve stems and setup but they don't look any different in the stem area tnan any other wheels.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Animal Whisperer

So what you are saying is that essentially the only difference is the stems and NOT the wheel itself? I'm confused... I can't pick off an 06 from an 05 by wheel if I try right now, I thought they looked the exact same...
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Just the indentation for the valve stem. Otherwise they look the same.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

Do you really want all that chrome?
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

Old 05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Originally Posted by Ron A
I can't prove it so you may have to ask the dealer, but I think the recesses on the TL are for looks, or maybe so people will know it's an 06. The reason I say this is because the RL wheels have the same TPMS valve stems and setup but they don't look any different in the stem area tnan any other wheels.
Hey Ron,

The RL's rim was designed around TPMS. This might explain why it looks like a normal rim. The TL's rim was originally not designed for TPMS so I'm assuming the small indentation is there because of the TPMS, even though I'm not sure why - it doesn't seem that a sensor would weigh enough to matter. I guess every little ounce matters when it comes to balance, though.

Just a theory.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 03CoupeV6
Hey Ron,

The RL's rim was designed around TPMS. This might explain why it looks like a normal rim. The TL's rim was originally not designed for TPMS so I'm assuming the small indentation is there because of the TPMS, even though I'm not sure why - it doesn't seem that a sensor would weigh enough to matter. I guess every little ounce matters when it comes to balance, though.

Just a theory.
It's very simple. The chunk missing from the area of the valve stem is to compensate for the weight of the sensor. That way the wheel will balance out without having to load up with weights.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Animal Whisperer

I'm not sure... My biggest concern is coming away with something that doesn't look right, but yet I have YET to see a Blue TL with ANY sort of chrome to begin with. I don't know if I want chrome factory wheels since I can't visualize it or photochop well enough to make 'em look real, so I'm not sure. My silver Vette had chrome wheels and looked SHARP. Gray and silver cars look perfect with chrome. What about blue? The lighter shade of blue on the RX-8's with chrome to me is just gorgeous, but that is a different car AND a different color.

That's why I am hoping for some pics here. I have a small window of time (repair is due to be complete by Friday) during which I can make up my mind, but so far since I haven't seen anything like it, I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going chrome. We'll see how it looks after I do it I guess. I do appreciate your opinion, and I wish there were more to go off of. I know it will come down to what *I* like, but again, I haven't seen it, so I can't say for sure.

BTW, I saw a blue TL w/A-Spec wheels which were just the sparkle (not chrome) and it also had the lip trunk spoiler... I liked that look very much, but still couldn't picture it with chrome. I've wanted different wheels since I got the car though, just haven't been able to decide. That and I didn't anticipate picking up curb rash anytime soon, so thought I'd have a while to save and then when the time was right I'd go w/the A-Spec wheels myself, but even then I couldn't tell you if I'd go chrome look or sparkle. Do I sound confused? I am!

Originally Posted by xtin
Do you really want all that chrome?