Castor Split?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Castor Split?

I finally replaced my EL42's with Pirelli P Zero Nero's last week (finally). Just before getting new tires I had the old set rotated by the dealer (during the normal oil change service).

I had abnormal wear on the EL42's so I had the dealer align the car as well. After the alignment job the car pulled to the left. They took a look and said it was radial pull. So I just lived with it, knowing that I'd get new tires soon anyway.

Now the problem. I got the new set of tires, but he car pulls to the right. Even on a flat road.

I took it to a shop for an alignment (not the dealer). Shop said the car is in alignment, but there is a slight castor split. Castor is non adjustable on this car apparently.

My questions is, does this make sense? Is castor split something the dealer can fix?

The guy at the shop said it would not harm the tires (which was my number one concern). My problem is I can't stand the pull, and having to maintain the steering wheel slightly off center to drive the car straight.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dstackle
I finally replaced my EL42's with Pirelli P Zero Nero's last week (finally). Just before getting new tires I had the old set rotated by the dealer (during the normal oil change service).

I had abnormal wear on the EL42's so I had the dealer align the car as well. After the alignment job the car pulled to the left. They took a look and said it was radial pull. So I just lived with it, knowing that I'd get new tires soon anyway.

Now the problem. I got the new set of tires, but he car pulls to the right. Even on a flat road.

I took it to a shop for an alignment (not the dealer). Shop said the car is in alignment, but there is a slight castor split. Castor is non adjustable on this car apparently.

My questions is, does this make sense? Is castor split something the dealer can fix?

The guy at the shop said it would not harm the tires (which was my number one concern). My problem is I can't stand the pull, and having to maintain the steering wheel slightly off center to drive the car straight.
Weird. As long as the castor isn't too far out of spec, it should be able to handle minor adjustments within the factor spec range.

If not, you will have to get the suspension rebuilt. The geometry is thrown off, and your car is basically sitting lower on the right side than the left side. It will also affect the overall alignment, since the car is sitting on an angled plane now instead of a flat plane.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Well, that sounds bad. I guess I'll throw the problem at the dealer when I visit for my next oil change.

Wonder if getting A-spec suspension would fix it? Might be a good exuse to upgrade :-)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
well u know what, my car was pulling it to right and shaking @ highway speed after putting new tires (yes the shop did balancing and alignment). I took it to different shop and they did alignment and wheelbalancing again. So it still pulled to right lil bit and the guy said I have CASTOR problem and I was like

So I asked Jeff (allout, he does work on my car) and he said that shouldn't be the problem. So I took it again to the original shop who installed my tires, so they did alignment and wheel balancing and fixed the problem. They never said anything about castor's being off. My car was fine for weeks but now the steering wheel still shakes at highway speed which is sometimes, not always.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dstackle

Differences in castor from side to side could make the car pull. They need to check all of the bushings and ball joints. It's not likely castor is the issue.

What did they adjust? Only toe can be adjusted on the fronts and the rears are fixed in every way.

I've never heard of "split castor", what does it mean?
Old 06-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the mechanic meant your cross castEr is out of spec. I don't think it's adjustable either.

BTW, FunZee, the rear toe is also adjustable.

There's a way to fix it though. It involves a lot of things though, because basically what needs to be done is adjust the whole subframe that holds the lower control arm.

Probably it's easiest to have the dealership fix it for you.