caster adjustment on 06 tl

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caster adjustment on 06 tl

Bought new Michelin pilot sports, car pulls to the right ,had an alignment and found caster is off still pulls ,slightly, told there is no caster adjustment on acura tl, question?? is there a caster alignment kit avialable to fix the caster? , shop wants to heat up struts and bend to fix caster.thanks in advance!!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:33 PM
My Other Ride is a Huey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you mean camber. In that case, you can buy a kit to adjust front and rear that are fairly easy to install. Depending on how severe the pull is, go for it. But in my opinion, new tires are not enough of a problem to install a front and rear camber kit.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

Diamond Pearl Dude - You're referring to camber. Camber/Caster are NOT adjustable on most stock Honda/Acuras. There are many aftermarket camber kits available (Skunk 2, Ingalls, SPC, and no-name brands) and can range from anywhere between $140+ for a pair of 2. I have Skunk 2 upper control arms in the front and SPC ball joints in the rear that cost me about $400.00 + the custom alignment.

BTW, if you go anywhere and they say they're going to heat up your struts/shocks, stay away from that shop. NEVER heat up struts/shocks because it will ruin them.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
8th Gear

Im sure he IS talking about caster. camber doesnt produce pull. I have an 05 accord and my bushing was bad on my lower control arm and the caster was out of spec and it produced a pull. My friend lowered his cl and found out his lower arm was whacked and his caster was way out of spec and needed replacing.

On the other side. Camber kits with offset balljoints such as jpower and ingalls will let you play with camber/caster to a certain degree.

If number 10 is bad then you found your issue.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LiquidX
Im sure he IS talking about caster. camber doesnt produce pull. I have an 05 accord and my bushing was bad on my lower control arm and the caster was out of spec and it produced a pull. My friend lowered his cl and found out his lower arm was whacked and his caster was way out of spec and needed replacing.

On the other side. Camber kits with offset balljoints such as jpower and ingalls will let you play with camber/caster to a certain degree.

If number 10 is bad then you found your issue.
Sorry, but camber DOES produce a pull. It's going to pull to the most positive side. If the left side showed -3* and the right side showed -1*, the left side is going to push the car to the right side if the car is traveling forward.

Toe does not produce any pull. If toe is off, the car will still travel straight but with horrible feathering tire wear.

However, you are right about caster pull. It will pull more towards the negative side but caster for the most part is not adjustable unless you have some sort of customization. You only have so much "play" when it comes to caster w/o it effecting anything else such as toe or camber.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Intermediate

i have a caster issue..I did find caster shims....hopefully it works because I have a pull to the right
Old 08-12-2010, 10:57 AM

can you show me where and which ones you have?

i have the same CASTER problem and was noted to get shims as well on my alignment. mine are off 4.7 and 5.6
Old 08-12-2010, 04:14 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
OK, I can comment on this as I had a recent problem with a tire pull. I have a relatively new set (5K miles) of Conti DWS on all 4 corners. I had a slight pull to the right so I had 4 wheel alignment done as well as a tire rotation. After the rotation, the pull actually worsened. I was told (and also read on the net) that sometimes a radial pull is from a manufacturing defect in the tire such that all of the radial belts are not aligned properly during production . One way of correcting this is to switch left to right and vice versa the offending tire. In some cases, this can result in a pull the other way. In my case, it corrected the problem (now no pull and tracks straight). If it doesn't, replacing the tire would be needed. I was told (at Goodyear) that this happens more often than you would think, sometimes requiring replacement of the affected tire. The only case where this won't work (switching left to right) is if the tires are directional. Also, camber and caster are not adjustable on the TL, only toe.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Did this start when the tires were replaced? I would definately go with the tire theory.

As for caster being off, how well does the steering wheel self center after taking a turn?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:22 AM
6th Gear

I have the same problem. The mechanic i went to said it was too low so there is a kit to adjust them. I went to Advanced Auto or Autozone may have the caster kit to fix them but i just bought the car and it doesnt have aftermarket camber kits so how do u adjust stock camber kits?!?!
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jhenk hollywood
I have the same problem. The mechanic i went to said it was too low so there is a kit to adjust them. I went to Advanced Auto or Autozone may have the caster kit to fix them but i just bought the car and it doesnt have aftermarket camber kits so how do u adjust stock camber kits?!?!
Read up grasshopper
Old 10-30-2010, 10:51 PM
Advanced

I have the same issue of the car pulling to the right... i have my car slammed on teins and have ingall camber kit..... when i did my alignment the guy said that i had a bent control arm.... could that be the issue????