Can not find a person who actually knows proper tire pressures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Can not find a person who actually knows proper tire pressures!

Ok I Have 19's from Ronjon with General Exclaim UHP (245/35/19) all around. Can someone tell me what the correct air pressure I'm suppose to be running in my tires to get optimal ride comfort and performance out of them, more towards ride comfort.

I have been running 37psi all around thus far and stupid me didn't realize till recently to check the General websiite where it said the maximum tire pressure that it can handle is 51 psi. My cold air pressure is about 37 but after driving I've seen it go up to about 40 nothing higher. I don't want to blow out my tires but I feel the car right now has poor handling.

Advice?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
1) Is there a recommendation from RonJon on the proper pressure? If yes, use that pressure as a start.
2) If not, go to at least 39F/36R, which is what Acura recommended for its 18" A-Spec wheels. I wouldn't run tires inflated above 40 psi on a regular basis unless the wheel manufacturer recommends it.
3) Check and adjust all tire pressures while each tire is COLD.
4) If your handling doesn't improve, your other option is to check (or alter) the alignment to make sure it is appropriate for the 19" wheels and suspension mods.

G/L.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
It's a mixed bag as the 19" tires that you have on the TL are actually XL rated, or an Extra Load tire, not designed for the lighter Acura. The XL tires normally will have a higher max inflation pressure eg 51 lbs and require a cold pressure somewhere around 41 lbs because of the heavier weight the tires are designed to carry. Having said that, lower pressures are fine as the tire will not flex because of the tire is much stiffer in construction. Can't tell you the exact air pressure to run, but tire manufacturers do have a formula as to the proper air pressure when tire size is changed, but it will be lower than 41.
Best I can say is to put a chalk line across each tread and ride in a straight line on a smooth surface and see where the line is removed, which will probably be in the center if running 40 lbs. Adjust the air pressure up or down accordingly.

On our TL, normal would be 32/32, so just out of curiosity I called Yohokama when I installed the S.4 245/45-17 for their input on the recommended tire pressure. It went to their Tech service dept. and the fellow called the next day with 31/31.

On some 4x4's equipped with large extra load tires, guys are running 30 lbs and see perfect tread wear, just because of the heavier construction within the tire.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I ran 37/35 and never had a problem.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I always run 40psi on any 35 series or lower tires... you protect the wheels from bends better that way...
Old 11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
in general -take the max cold and deduct 20%
start there and play within a few psi lower for max comfort
Watch the tire for even wear across the tread
I run 18" generals at 38 front 36 rear normal in town use, that keeps them just soft enough for bumps, and pump them up 2 psi when going to play on the mountain backroads
Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

I just pumped up my cold air pressure to 40psi all around and I definitely notice the increase in pickup feel. I wonder if I can put more air in it, maybe up to 42psi all around. I know the max is 51psi but is that max rated at 51psi cold air pressure or warm?

I know the psi goes up after driving some bit.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,600 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Why would you want to put anymore air in then what the sticker on the driver door sill says?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Why would you want to put anymore air in then what the sticker on the driver door sill says?
reduction of chances of bending rims...

to the OP, what do you mean by handling, sharpness or loss of control? Higher PSI means loss of traction much more easily, but sharpness increased. Lower psi gives more traction, but sharpness decreased. I find that 35 all around works good for city driving comfort, MPG and tire wear.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thick 40psi is a good number to go with. You protect the rim and you will get a good ride.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

on certain replacement brand tires with lower sidewall than stock- you need to run higher than 32 to get proper sidewall stiffness and best life from the tires.
Near 40 on generals is good
Cold Max psi is listed on the tire. That is based on the max allowable weight being placed on the tire. Since its carrying about 80 percent of that number- drop 20 percent of pressure and try that

For ultimate-is this the right pressure--, Use an infra-red thermometer and check the temp across the surface with tires hot from driving- looking for even temps or adjust pressure to increase or decrease contact patch and change temps.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

lower psi does NOT increase DRY traction, but its larger contact patch will help in water~
try 80 percent of max cold and see how that works
Hydroplane in water can occur at any speed, but is most likely above 55
Wet is when you may have to play with pressure and run 36 instead of 38
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I do too have 245/35/19
and I keep 42 psi front and 39 rear. This is all cold measurements.

I have no bent rims what so ever and tires are getting even wear all around.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
proper tire presure it on your door jam
Old 11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jsacuratls
That sticker is for the stock tire/rim configuration only.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
邵樂百

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink There is a Cold PSI value on the sidewall of ALL tires

Originally Posted by jsacuratls
Originally Posted by GeezerB
That sticker is for the stock tire/rim configuration only.
Thank you GeezerB ... it took everything I had not to say something sarcastic in response

As soon as the stock tires are swapped out for different brand tires, different aspect ratios, different load rating, different wheel diameter, blah, blah, blah ... all bets ARE OFF! The door jam sticker is meaningless at this point unless the same OEM tire of the exact size is used as a replacement, which rarely happens around here
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by firstacuratl
Thank you GeezerB ... it took everything I had not to say something sarcastic in response

As soon as the stock tires are swapped out for different brand tires, different aspect ratios, different load rating, different wheel diameter, blah, blah, blah ... all bets ARE OFF! The door jam sticker is meaningless at this point unless the same OEM tire of the exact size is used as a replacement, which rarely happens around here
When you buy Acura rims & tires from the dealer, they are required to apply a new sticker over the old one. One is included with every set of rims.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by firstacuratl

Exactly!

With aftermarket rims/tires the only thing you can get from the sticker is an idea of the % difference from front to rear otherwise it's useless.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I personally wouldn't go over 40psi cold. FWIW, I run 40F/37R.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by princelybug
I personally wouldn't go over 40psi cold. FWIW, I run 40F/37R.
I had mine like that a while a go, and it did not feel right.

Then, I had 41F/38R and it was OK. But I found out that 42F/39R works the best.

The reason I'm saying that is because when I drive on a not so smooth road, I felt that 40F/37R was not the proper pressure. I felt it needed more.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Team Owner

be careful over-inflating the tire for the actual weight of the car
Look at the cars weight and determine actual percentage/weight on each wheel.

One of the tires jobs is to absorb some of the road bumps, too much air and it doesnt flex right.
18-19' general tires should have no prob around 40, and many of us on 18-19 rims are near that pressure.
At the racetrack- hot tires are 2-4 psi higher than when they went on course 20 minutes before.

If you really want to be exact, use a non contact thermometer and check hot temps across the tire. Higher or lower in center is pressure change needed, one edge higher or lower is suspension adjustment
perfect is even across the tire
Old 11-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

The reason to run a few psi lower in the back is to reduce the cars tendancy to oversteer --it improves handling
Old 11-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

So,
are u saying that 42F is too much?

But then again, it should be around 40 psi, so 42 is not way too much over or is it? Hmmmmm

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
be careful over-inflating the tire for the actual weight of the car
Look at the cars weight and determine actual percentage/weight on each wheel.

One of the tires jobs is to absorb some of the road bumps, too much air and it doesnt flex right.
18-19' general tires should have no prob around 40, and many of us on 18-19 rims are near that pressure.
At the racetrack- hot tires are 2-4 psi higher than when they went on course 20 minutes before.

If you really want to be exact, use a non contact thermometer and check hot temps across the tire. Higher or lower in center is pressure change needed, one edge higher or lower is suspension adjustment
perfect is even across the tire
Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
General's tires are notorious for having a soft sidewall. Try slinging around a 3800 pound on $100 something tires. The 35 series will be a little better, but don't expect them to be better than anything in the $100 price range.

Don't get me wrong, Generals are a great daily driver tire that will have a good mix of tread life, noise, value. Unfortunately, with these tires, you get what you pay for, so don't think they will have any performance capabilities.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by aquariussuperman
General's tires are notorious for having a soft sidewall. Try slinging around a 3800 pound on $100 something tires. The 35 series will be a little better, but don't expect them to be better than anything in the $100 price range.

Don't get me wrong, Generals are a great daily driver tire that will have a good mix of tread life, noise, value. Unfortunately, with these tires, you get what you pay for, so don't think they will have any performance capabilities.
Is this said after experiencing the tires? I mean I've driven on Toyo Proxes 4 before this and I can definitely tell you that I enjoy these tires more than the Generals just due to the fact that I'm not always taking turns at 100 mph when I drive, but I do spirited driving occasionally and for what I do, to me it performs just as good as the Proxes and when I'm not its hell of a lot quieter then the Toyos and I appreciate that the most. My wallet isn't complaining either, however they are now price a lot higher, I believe the last I saw it was like $150 bux now for these tires, they were priced low in the beginning yes... but once people realized they were up to par with some of the other guys, they raised the price. I definitely wouldn't dismiss these tires as being poor however I'm not saying that these are the best tires because they are not.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Oh and also, my friend has these on this S4 and he says he loves them too, like I said I'm not saying these are the best tires, but they are DAM GOOD! Most people prolly would agree and I do know there are those who do spirited driving all the time. But can't the same be said for "ACURA" as a brand too, "great mix of noise, life and value, but dont get me wrong you get what you pay for, so don't think they will have any performance capabilities" that is comparing it to some of the German manufacturers?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Also, sorry for the multiple posts, but I jsut checked my email. I emailed Continental Tires since Generals are basically manufactured by them regarding the tire pressure values... here's the email:

Customer (Raj) - 11/18/2008 12:08 PM
Hey I'm writing this email to seek expert advice on proper tire
inflation pressures on my set of General Exclaim UHP that I have on my
vehicle. I can't adhere to my manufacturers recommended tire pressure
posted on the door jam because I up-sized my wheels from the stock
size of 17's to 19's now. I spoke to Carmen yesterday at Customer
Service and was advised to write an email to seek this info. Here is
my vehicle info:

2006 Acura TL (WITHOUT the ASPEC package) Stock size that came with
the car was 17's.

The Wheels that I have upgraded to have the following specifications:

Size: 19
Width: 8.5
Offset: 42
Center bore: 64.1
Bolt Patter: 5x114.3

The tires that I'm running are:

Brand: General Exclaim UHP
Size: 245/35/19 all around

Many people tell me that I should run them with the following PSI which is what I'm currently doing:

Front: 42 PSI
Rear: 40 PSI

My concern is that, since I'm able to monitor tire pressures through
the electronic sensors I have, when I'm cruising on the highway they
climb up to 45 PSI in the front and 43 PSI in the rear and I know
according to your website, the max PSI is 51 for these tires and I'm
not comfortable being so close to the max. Please advise as to what
is the proper tire pressures I should be running to keep as close to
OEM specifications due to my up-sizing.

Thank You in Advance.

Raj

Here's the reply:

Response (Carmen) - 11/19/2008 02:26 PM

Dear Raj,

Your email was forwarded to one of our engineers Jose who has the capabilities to calculate the proper pressures for your car and his response is that you air pressures are correct. He states that 42 psi in front and 40 psi in the rear is what you should be using. Should you have any further questions please reference your inquiry number 081118-000010.

Thank you,

Carmen

So the proper tire pressure CONFIRMED from Continental Tires themselves for these tires and wheels is

Someone posted something very similar with the -2 psi difference from front to rear so they were point on.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Also, sorry for the multiple posts, but I jsut checked my email. I emailed Continental Tires since Generals are basically manufactured by them regarding the tire pressure values... here's the email:

Customer (Raj) - 11/18/2008 12:08 PM
Hey I'm writing this email to seek expert advice on proper tire
inflation pressures on my set of General Exclaim UHP that I have on my
vehicle. I can't adhere to my manufacturers recommended tire pressure
posted on the door jam because I up-sized my wheels from the stock
size of 17's to 19's now. I spoke to Carmen yesterday at Customer
Service and was advised to write an email to seek this info. Here is
my vehicle info:

2006 Acura TL (WITHOUT the ASPEC package) Stock size that came with
the car was 17's.

The Wheels that I have upgraded to have the following specifications:

Size: 19
Width: 8.5
Offset: 42
Center bore: 64.1
Bolt Patter: 5x114.3

The tires that I'm running are:

Brand: General Exclaim UHP
Size: 245/35/19 all around

Many people tell me that I should run them with the following PSI which is what I'm currently doing:

My concern is that, since I'm able to monitor tire pressures through
the electronic sensors I have, when I'm cruising on the highway they
climb up to 45 PSI in the front and 43 PSI in the rear and I know
according to your website, the max PSI is 51 for these tires and I'm
not comfortable being so close to the max. Please advise as to what
is the proper tire pressures I should be running to keep as close to
OEM specifications due to my up-sizing.

Thank You in Advance.

Raj

Here's the reply:

Response (Carmen) - 11/19/2008 02:26 PM

Dear Raj,

Your email was forwarded to one of our engineers Jose who has the capabilities to calculate the proper pressures for your car and his response is that you air pressures are correct. He states that 42 psi in front and 40 psi in the rear is what you should be using. Should you have any further questions please reference your inquiry number 081118-000010.

Thank you,

Carmen

So the proper tire pressure CONFIRMED from Continental Tires themselves for these tires and wheels is

Someone posted something very similar with the -2 psi difference from front to rear so they were point on.
Good info!

I run the exact same pressures in my BFG G-forces that are rated at 45psi max. On the freeway they will hit 45psi.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Good info!

I run the exact same pressures in my BFG G-forces that are rated at 45psi max. On the freeway they will hit 45psi.

Woah! Dont do that, each tire differs and this info is specific for the Generals Exclaim UHP. Plus you are saying your max is 45psi and ur running at MAX!? One wrong pothole and your tires will blow, reduce the pressure immediately.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Woah! Dont do that, each tire differs and this info is specific for the Generals Exclaim UHP. Plus you are saying your max is 45psi and ur running at MAX!? One wrong pothole and your tires will blow, reduce the pressure immediately.
It's ok, I've been running this pressure for a year. I did it using chalk and adjusting until I got an even footprint.

The max pressures are cold pressures. It's fine to exceed it when hot.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I run 36F/34R on my 19's...40's sound a bit much.