Can i use stock shocks with eibach springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 02:45 AM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i use stock shocks with eibach springs

I know alot of people tried to ask this question before but didnt find any info. I know its said that you must upgrade shocks with drop springs but was wondering if anyone is running stock shocks with some basic drop springs with nothing to much of a drop.. Some people said if your going more then 2''you must upgrade shocks and some people say different... I just want to drop it like a inch & a half...
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
You don't necessarily have to change your shocks regardless of the height of the drop. Now that does not mean they will last. Anything 1.25" or below, you can keep your stock shocks, anything above, it is recommended to upgrade.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not sure what spring will give you a .5" drop. I am looking for a new suspension setup also. I would recommend doing a couple searches to see how coil springs look on your car before you purchase a set. You can always pm a member that has a specific setup you are interested in. This is one reason I update my sig to help answer any questions members may have before they make a purchase....I think we all know the "mod bug" can get pretty $$$

Last edited by 1islandparadise; 10-21-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
that is the general rule... if you are under a 2" drop, you should be okay with your OEM shocks... but usually i won't push more than 1.5" drop on the oems...

eibachs should give you ~1" drop...
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
caZper, i'm installing eibachs on my OEM type-s shocks this sunday, so i'll report back and let you know how it goes.

everything i've heard makes me think i'll be just fine, it's only a 1" drop n i've only got 40k on the shocks. idk if the fact that they're type-s shocks will matter, but i believe they're slightly upgraded from base shocks.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SharksBreath
caZper, i'm installing eibachs on my OEM type-s shocks this sunday, so i'll report back and let you know how it goes.

everything i've heard makes me think i'll be just fine, it's only a 1" drop n i've only got 40k on the shocks. idk if the fact that they're type-s shocks will matter, but i believe they're slightly upgraded from base shocks.
Type-S shocks have firmer valving, so should definitely hold up better with a TL-S comparable spring rate such as the Pro-Kit. The Eibach sits a little over 1" all said and done. The TL-S version of the Pro-Kit comes with new rear bump stops that are half as long. Definitely recommend these springs for anyone not looking to sacrifice ride quality but looking for moderate gap reduction.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 AM
B A N N E D

Thanks bro... WIll be waiting for your feedback..
Old 10-22-2010, 03:58 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by binhsterbinh
Type-S shocks have firmer valving, so should definitely hold up better with a TL-S comparable spring rate such as the Pro-Kit. The Eibach sits a little over 1" all said and done. The TL-S version of the Pro-Kit comes with new rear bump stops that are half as long. Definitely recommend these springs for anyone not looking to sacrifice ride quality but looking for moderate gap reduction.
When you say pro kit you mean eibachs or acura tl oem pro kit?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 AM
BANNED

i bought mine second hand, so i only have the springs, and thats it. also, i got eibachs made for the base model, although the part numbers are different, the springs are interchangeable according to everyone i've spoken to.

any thoughts on this?

Originally Posted by CaZper
Thanks bro... WIll be waiting for your feedback..
no problem man
Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, I thought, were advertised as 1" all around?

I've had H&R sports on my TL-S stock shocks for about 2 3/4 years and 35,000 miles. No issues with the shocks. Good ride quality. Advertised drop is 1.4" F / 1.3" R.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CaZper
When you say pro kit you mean eibachs or acura tl oem pro kit?
I meant Eibach Pro-Kit. I'm used to saying Pro-Kit because Eibach on other vehicles can mean either Sportlines or Pro-Kit, so I try to be specific.

i bought mine second hand, so i only have the springs, and thats it. also, i got eibachs made for the base model, although the part numbers are different, the springs are interchangeable according to everyone i've spoken to.

any thoughts on this?
I don't know if the springs are identical or not, but I do know that the TL-S version of the springs comes with shorter rear bump stops. The Eibach bump stops did not feel any firmer than the stock ones - just about half the length. If you cut the stock rear ones almost in half and use the upper thicker portion, you've done the same thing. We also cut a 1/2" knob off the front bump stops. I wouldn't doubt that the base and TL-S Eibach Pro-kits are the same springs. The spring rates aren't that high from what I could feel. They're pretty comfortable for street driving if you ask me.

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, I thought, were advertised as 1" all around?
This is what they're advertised as, but when we installed them on the cousin's TL-S, we set the SP3 rear shocks to the very top perch (+0.6" from stock setting) and it was still like 1" lower in the rear and slightly lower than my A-Spec TL. He does have 1 JLW7 sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure, but that can't be more than 60lbs. In the front, we set it to the 4th perch (+0.3") and still saw a 1" drop. This could be due to the fact that the TL-S is about 100lbs heavier in the nose with the heavier engine (assuming base and TL-S springs are identical).
Someone should post the part # of the front and rear Eibach Pro-Kit springs and we can compare them to the TL-S version part numbers.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Eibach Pro-Kit on the stock shocks should not be an issue. I ran this setup for awhile before I changed to the Koni SP3s recently on my TL-S.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:13 PM
BANNED

I don't know if the springs are identical or not, but I do know that the TL-S version of the springs comes with shorter rear bump stops. The Eibach bump stops did not feel any firmer than the stock ones - just about half the length. If you cut the stock rear ones almost in half and use the upper thicker portion, you've done the same thing. We also cut a 1/2" knob off the front bump stops. I wouldn't doubt that the base and TL-S Eibach Pro-kits are the same springs. The spring rates aren't that high from what I could feel. They're pretty comfortable for street driving if you ask me.
ok cool so i think i'm alright then. i talked with excelerate n he said the springs are the same but the spring rate is different. since i'm putting base model eibachs on my type-s, the front will sit a bit lower. which is just fine with me, looks like i'll like the base better than the type-s springs anyway.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts

This is what they're advertised as, but when we installed them on the cousin's TL-S, we set the SP3 rear shocks to the very top perch (+0.6" from stock setting) and it was still like 1" lower in the rear and slightly lower than my A-Spec TL. .... In the front, we set it to the 4th perch (+0.3") and still saw a 1" drop. ....

You're saying the rear was a 1.6" drop and the front 1.3"? AND, if that's the case, the sag in the rear must look like crap.

No offense, but that really doesn't add up for me - not compared to advertised drop amount and not compared to other AZ users results.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both base TL (PN#4044-140) and TL-S (PN#4070-140) are advertised as 1" drop both front and rear. Makes the car sit perfectly level...it does not "sag" in the rear. The front wheel arches are cut higher than the rear which may give the illusion that the car sits lower in the rear, but it does not.

They are also a progressive rate spring so the more that they compress, the firmer they get.... a nice compromise for real world driving on the street.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Both base TL (PN#4044-140) and TL-S (PN#4070-140) are advertised as 1" drop both front and rear. Makes the car sit perfectly level...it does not "sag" in the rear. The front wheel arches are cut higher than the rear which may give the illusion that the car sits lower in the rear, but it does not.They are also a progressive rate spring so the more that they compress, the firmer they get.... a nice compromise for real world driving on the street.
Exactly what he said with regards to the so-called "sag" in the rear.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You're saying the rear was a 1.6" drop and the front 1.3"? AND, if that's the case, the sag in the rear must look like crap.

No offense, but that really doesn't add up for me - not compared to advertised drop amount and not compared to other AZ users results.
This is just what we saw after installing the springs. The sub in the trunk and full tank of gas could have made the difference. I may have underestimated the weight of the stereo. The JLW7 12" weighs 45lbs by itself. Add enclosure and amp and he's got about 100lbs in the back. The car sat about 1/4" lower on the driver rear than the passenger rear which we can only suspect is due to the sub being installed on the driver side of his trunk. We initially had the back on the stock 3rd perch (+0.00"), and it literally sat the same height as the Neuspeed Sport rear springs that we removed a day prior rated at 1.75"F/1.50"R sitting at the 4th perch (+0.3"). I have no explanation for the results. This is why we moved it up to the 5th perch the next day. It doesn't take much for the ass end of the TL to sag low. A load of groceries from Costco in my A-Spec TL and I have no finger gaps in the back.

Anyways, leaving the subwoofer stereo setup out of the equation, I'm still going to personally believe that the TL-S Eibach Pro-Kit kit will lower the car slightly over the 1 inch mark (anywhere from 1.00-1.25"). I would go outside and take measurements, but it's not my car and I don't live nearby. Maybe next time I see him.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This is just what we saw after installing the springs. The sub in the trunk and full tank of gas could have made the difference. I may have underestimated the weight of the stereo. The JLW7 12" weighs 45lbs by itself. Add enclosure and amp and he's got about 100lbs in the back. The car sat about 1/4" lower on the driver rear than the passenger rear which we can only suspect is due to the sub being installed on the driver side of his trunk. We initially had the back on the stock 3rd perch (+0.00"), and it literally sat the same height as the Neuspeed Sport rear springs that we removed a day prior rated at 1.75"F/1.50"R sitting at the 4th perch (+0.3"). I have no explanation for the results. This is why we moved it up to the 5th perch the next day. It doesn't take much for the ass end of the TL to sag low. A load of groceries from Costco in my A-Spec TL and I have no finger gaps in the back.

Anyways, leaving the subwoofer stereo setup out of the equation, I'm still going to personally believe that the TL-S Eibach Pro-Kit kit will lower the car slightly over the 1 inch mark (anywhere from 1.00-1.25"). I would go outside and take measurements, but it's not my car and I don't live nearby. Maybe next time I see him.
I have the same speaker system setup. Any rubbing in the rear? The ride feel any stiffer?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by digitaltypeS
I have the same speaker system setup. Any rubbing in the rear? The ride feel any stiffer?

Thanks
My cousin came from Neuspeed Sport springs, so it's difficult to remember exactly how his TL-S suspension felt, but his initial comments has been that it feels close to stock again and he's very satisfied. The added weight of the stereo setup would technically make the back feel softer riding. It feels softer riding than my A-Spec, but this could be attributed progressive spring rates of the Eibachs compared to the more linear wound A-Spec springs.

There's no rubbing. He has a pretty conservative wheel offset (Ronjon Inspyre 18x8.5 ET45mm on 245/40/18).

Last edited by binhsterbinh; 10-24-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:22 AM
BANNED

rather than making a new thread, i just wanted to ask a question about spacers.

07 tl type-s, dropped 1" on eibachs/OEM shocks on stock type-s wheels.

does anybody know what size spacers i should run all the way around for a more flush look? i was thinking 15mm in rear and 10mm in front.

any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Racer

rather than making a new thread, i just wanted to ask a question about spacers.

07 tl type-s, dropped 1" on eibachs/OEM shocks on stock type-s wheels.

does anybody know what size spacers i should run all the way around for a more flush look? i was thinking 15mm in rear and 10mm in front.

any thoughts?
I'm in the same boat right now. Check this thread out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ichiba+spacers

The 18x8 A-Specs have the same offset as your current 17x8 Type-S wheels at +45mm. It sounds like if you have 235/45/17 tires, you could run a 20mm spacer in the back and 15mm spacer up front. If you have 245/45/17 tires, you could do 15mm in back and 15mm in front. If you decide on a 10mm spacer, you'll have to get new extended studs as the Ichiba V2 doesn't come in 10mm.

Here's a cheap place to get the 15mm:
http://www.velocitymania.com/v2-whee...s-5511464a.htm

and for the 20mm version:
http://www.velocitymania.com/Product...de=WS-5511464B

I'm still debating this as well for my 18x8 +45mm wheels on 245/40/18.

Alternatively, you can get them here too in possibly a 10mm form:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Project-K...-pr-64782.html

Last edited by binhsterbinh; 10-25-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
BANNED

I'm in the same boat right now. Check this thread out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ichiba+spacers

The 18x8 A-Specs have the same offset as your current 17x8 Type-S wheels at +45mm. It sounds like if you have 235/45/17 tires, you could run a 20mm spacer in the back and 15mm spacer up front. If you have 245/45/17 tires, you could do 15mm in back and 15mm in front. If you decide on a 10mm spacer, you'll have to get new extended studs as the Ichiba V2 doesn't come in 10mm.

Here's a cheap place to get the 15mm:
http://www.velocitymania.com/v2-whee...s-5511464a.htm

and for the 20mm version:
http://www.velocitymania.com/Product...de=WS-5511464B

I'm still debating this as well for my 18x8 +45mm wheels on 245/40/18.

Alternatively, you can get them here too in possibly a 10mm form:

http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Project-K...-pr-64782.html
very cool...looks like 20mm rear and 15mm front is the answer. thank you!

i've got the 235/45/17 bridgestone potenzas on the stock type-s 17" wheels, moderate drop of 1" with the eibachs.

20mm n 15mm it is!

now where did i put my wallet...?
Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 PM
BANNED

sorry for the double post...but what's the difference between the V1 n V2 Ichiba spacers?

i found some 15mm V1's for $90...just wondering if i could get those for the front, and get the V2 20mm's for the rear...

**oh, and binhsterbinh, that link you gave me for the spacers say they're for a honda civic. will those fit on the acura TL as well?

Last edited by SharksBreath; 10-25-2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced

sharksbreath - looking forward to hearing back about your experience w/ the spacers as well as seeing pics of the drop w/ the eibachs...I also will be doing some lowering in the future and have considered the eibachs as I dont want a ridiculously low ride...just want to reduce that fender gap and keep a smooth driving car...