Calling my Atlanta brethren...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling my Atlanta brethren...

Please, I know a few of you have had only the A-Spec suspension installed in Atlanta. I am aware that most of the dealerships want ~$83/hr and according to the service manual it is a 6 hour job. I also know that it actually only takes 2-3 hours and that I need to negotiate. Please let me know where you got yours installed and what you ended up paying? Also, who you dealt with.

Thanks,
Old 11-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Racer

Bump.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:33 PM
Racer

A-Spec Suspension Install Price

Ok, my Atlanta brethren showed me no love How about anyone, anywhere... what did you pay at a dealership for the install. How did you negotiate it, because almost none of the dealers I talked to will come off of the book price - 1.2 hours per corner * hourly rate of $80-95 per hour. The one that will charge the actual time worked has never installed an A-Spec package. What to do?

BTW, all 4 dealerships that I called argued that the A-spec package is normally installed at the factory. After telling them that they are wrong ten times I told them to ask their service manager... guess who was right?
Old 11-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have to get this installed at the dealer? Plenty of shops could do it probably for $100 or so.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Racer

I don't have to, but I wanted the installer to have already done this before. Also, does having a non-Acura dealership install it void the warranty?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
captain, although I didn't get the A-spec suspension installed, I did get comptechs, which is actually more involved than the A-spec install. The dealer was giving me that rediculous quote of 6 hours. I was able to show the dealer that the install only takes 3 hours (info off comptech's website) and after much arguing they said they would charge 3 hours or labor, nothing more. I said if it took less, charge me 3 hours anyways, cause that way we're both giving and taking. Sure enough it took 3 hours, and dealers here charge 98 an hour so my install cost 300. Your install is just replacing the shock assemblies, with no reseating of springs, so it should be very quick. I would say 2 hours, but definetly no more than 3. Just make sure when you go to the dealer to negotiate that you give them the impression that you are very knowledgeable about cars, esp yours and tell them that how quick it is. If you can, talk to the actual mechanic that will work on your car, they are more realistic than the service writers. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Captain,

Just replied to ur email....but also will post here for you.

Nally seems to be the cheapest at $524 (with alighnment). I talked with a gentleman named Doug in the Service Dept there. I'm going to take mine there this Friday for the install.

At Ed Voyles, I have talked with 3 different ppl and got quoted 3 different prices. 1 was $500 from Kevin, another was for $624 (not including alignment of $74), and another of $650 (including alignment). A gentleman by the name of John Meyers said that he'd honor the $500 quote from Kevin since Kevin has apparantly left.

However, I have not been able to get ahold of John.

Gwinnet Place came in a $700 (not including alignment). So I told them to "take a flying jump".

Hope this helps!
Ed-Head
Old 11-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Advanced

Captain,

Cancel what I just said in my previous reply.

I just called Ed Voyles (on PIB). John Meyers isn't there anymore. HOWEVER, they will do the A-Spec install for $500 (to include the alignment). And since they do it, Warrantly isn't a problem (not that it should be anyway)

Give them a call.
Ed-Head
Old 11-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed-Head
Captain,

Cancel what I just said in my previous reply.

I just called Ed Voyles (on PIB). John Meyers isn't there anymore. HOWEVER, they will do the A-Spec install for $500 (to include the alignment). And since they do it, Warrantly isn't a problem (not that it should be anyway)

Give them a call.
Ed-Head
Ed-Head,

I saw your PM first, check your messages. I think I found better rates. Ed Voyles said they would charge me actual time *$83 per hour. However, they have never installed one (Not sure I believe that they have NEVER installed one).

Also the dealer south of the city said $400.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Captain,

Just go got your message. The price you were quoted sounds pretty good! I also like ur idea of trying to get a better deal by getting 2 installs done.

When I called back Ed Voyles and was told that they would go ahead and do the install for $500 (to include alignment), I canceled my appt with Nalley and rescheduled with Ed Voyles. Their price was only a few bucks off from yours.

But if we can get a better deal, than I'm all for it!!!!

I'll be giving u a call to discuss!

Thanks for the info
Ed
Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Shift_faster

I'm not in Atlanta captain, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in.

I had the A-Spec suspension installed in NY (where labor rates are 98 an hour). I was charged $395 including alignment. So that is about 3 hours of labor + 95 for the alignment. You should not be expected to pay more than three hours worth of labor. It is not that difficult. If I had the tools and the space I would have attempted it myself.

cTLgo is correct, the Comptechs take longer to install since they need to be compressed onto the existing shocks, while the A-Spec suspension is about as "plug and play" as it comes with suspension mods.