BridgeStone Potenza Z HPT Tires already bald

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BridgeStone Potenza Z HPT Tires already bald

At around 14,000 miles my back tires are completley bald and the front ones will be there in no time it appears, but they still at least have some tred. I had service B done at around 10,000 miles with tires rotated.. The tires looked fine then, but I didn't examine them carefully.. I have 15,500 miles on it now since I had to do a long trip and had to drive in very little snow... I was slipping all over the roads..and I know these tires hydroplane so easy that I"m too afraid to drive in the rain on these tires!
I can't afford a new set of these tires right now.. would be over $1000 I'm being told! I can't believe these tires cost this much! And they only last 10-15k miles?!?

Acura told me these tires are not covered under my Acura warranty even though I purchased them with the car brand new. Acura told me I have to contact a Bridgestone dealer directly to get warranty information... I contacted Bridgestone and they said no high performance tires are warranted based on mileage...so I guess I'm screwed..and from my research on this forum I'm seeing it's quite normal what's happening with me, and these bridgestones are shit. So now I'm debating on getting some good lasting all weather tires from one of these:

-Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (I believe that's the name)
-Falken Ziex 512

Falkens are much cheaper I guess? Should I go for these and for sure be happier?

I want all weather tires at it's best.. I drive through the Sierra mountains quite a bit during winter over to Reno from the Bay Area.. What tires would you get? I'll be broke having to come up with $700-$1000 for tires that didn't even last a year... I'm glad my bro works at Sears.. he says he can use his employee discount for me and hook me up with 20% off.. so instead of payin $1000 can get em for $800
Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
check out the tire and wheel forum. I have Bridgestone LS-Zs on my car. They're great. Great grip and traction.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by Thorin78
check out the tire and wheel forum. I have Bridgestone LS-Zs on my car. They're great. Great grip and traction.
For your situation, there are no better tires than the Falken Ziex 512s. They handle like my Falken ST-115s and work fine in the snow! AMAZING. I should know, I have both models of tires on my cars. What tires did I have before? The factory Bridgestone Potenzas.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
has anyone tried these?

Has anyone put Continental ContoExtremeContact on their cars????

Size: 235/45WR17 Price: $116 (tire rack price)

I looked at these and they do most everything very well if you can go by the tirerack rating system.

I have heard good things about the michelin pilot sport A/S, but some claim that they are not getting very good wear either. At about 8 bills a set not including road hazard, etc. they get pricey.

I would expect to get at least 30,000 out of a set of tires...

And what about sumitomos??? They are listed for 91 bucks a tire... If they perform ok and you do 18000 a year you could afford to replace those on an annual basis rather than burn through a set of pilots every 25000...

New shoes on a car on a reg basis would make the car handle better..
Old 02-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Licking Platters Clean

I agree, Pilots are a huge waste of money when the Falkens will outperform them for cheaper and probably last longer!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Does anybody have pictures of the Falken 512s on their TL? Cause I'm about to have them put on to replace the BridgeStone Potenza Z and now I'm starting to worry that even though they are suppose to be great tires, that they might look ugly on the TL?? especially compared to the Potenzas I just had on.. cause I thought those were good lookin tires and shined good..

I didn't even think about cosmetics till now..
Old 02-15-2005, 12:50 PM
What's a TL?

I don't have pics of them on a TL, but my friend has them...they look ok. Personally, I would go with the Falken ST115 unless wet traction is a big concern.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Would this be part of reasons why they turned bald???

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/longshot-request-help-108368/
Old 02-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also would love to see pics of the Falkens on a TL... Bueller???

PLEASE?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Instructor

Ok I made appointment for tommorow morning to get new Falkin 512s on for $500 flat...including labor, balancing... However they are wondering why the hell I'm going with the Falkin 512s?!? I todl them it's highly recommended with other Acura TL owners..

They are telling me they have had a huge history of problems with these tires... And he's highly recommends I get a better tire that he will give me at same price.

And they are the Sumitomo HTR plus ??? Shoudl I go for them? I am posting on this forum before I research now to see what other say... Any input would be appreciated [looks, wet traction, snow traction]

Keep in mind I drive over the Sierra mountains in my car almost every weekend from Bay Area to Reno... you are probably wondering what the HELL I was doing with Potenza Z Summer tires... I know.. horrible mistake.. guess I"m glad I haven't crashed the car in the snow with those tires...same goes for rain.. I have lost control of the car so many times just driving on the freeway on wet roads... NOT EVEN puddles!! I didn't risk driving those tires thru any puddles...
Old 02-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My choices are between the Falken's and the Pirelli PZero Nero's...

I was set on the Nero's for a while, but after a TON of recomendations from this board and NO BAD COMMENTS that I've seen, I've really been leaning towards the Ziex's.... I can get them ordered and put on at Sears just down the road and I know they are quite a bit cheaper than the Nero's...

I have not seen ANY bad comments about the Falken's here, and they were rated #1 by consumer reports... I dunno where your guy got his info.... ???
Old 02-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Well I need to choose between the Sumitomo HTR+ and Falken 512.... both are same priced...

what is the better rated tire?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by chazy777

They are telling me they have had a huge history of problems with these tires... And he's highly recommends I get a better tire that he will give me at same price.
They are NOT better tires...maybe the Sumis are cheaper? Could he make more profit selling those to you? Did you even ASK him what all these HUGE problems were that NOBODY has substantiated ANYWHERE else that you have heard of?

Everyone who has them here loves them and they are Consumer Reports TOP rated. If that's not enough for you, and you'd rather listen to some local grease monkey hitting the crack pipe a bit too hard, go for it. I doubt we can help you.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Instructor

[QUOTE=JackSprat01]

QUOTE]

They are NOT better tires...maybe the Sumis are cheaper? Could he make more profit selling those to you? Did you even ASK him what all these HUGE problems were that NOBODY has substantiated ANYWHERE else that you have heard of?

Everyone who has them here loves them and they are Consumer Reports TOP rated. If that's not enough for you, and you'd rather listen to some local grease monkey hitting the crack pipe a bit too hard, go for it. I doubt we can help you.
Ok so here's my story.. I'm getting the Falken 512s put on as I speak.. my brother was able to get the tires for me for $454.19 (including tax, labor, balancing, rubber thingys etc...!) so he hooked me up ..and the "grease ball mechanic" (lol) said he's had people come back with the falken 512 at under 30,000 miles (which they are under warranty for that) --majority of his customers had this problem from being worn out where as all the sumos he put on all went easily beyond that and there have been no reported problems... plus he said the falkin 512's have HYDRO planing problems... ok this right there showed me that he had to be full of it.. I researched on the sumo tires and found I can get them barely cheaper than the Falkins... so i bet he would've made more of a profit selling me those tires... He said they didn't carry the falkins anymore because of these two problems they have had with them with many other customers... no problems were reported with the Sumo..

but yea.. I'm stickin with this forum... I will probably give a update on this forum post of how my tires have been in the rain and snow and see if I can feel any hydroplaning ever and how it handles in snow..
Old 02-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Instructor

OK the Sumi (not Sumo.. ha) tires have traction rating of AA and the Falkin 512 have tracion rating of A

I'm being told that you want to go with AA and is reason why Sumi tires will last longer... what I don't understand is they both have a treadwear rating of 360...

can someone emphasize why sumi tire may be better based on this? Does AA mean it has a metal ring in the tire or something that is good to have?

Falkin 512:
TREADWEAR RATING = 360
TRACTION = A
TEMPERATURE = A

SumiTomo HTR+
TREADWEAR RATING = 360
TRACTION = AA
TEMPERATURE = A
Old 02-17-2005, 02:25 PM
aw1
Pro

check out tirerack.com. compare both tires you listed, then make your decision. i would personally go with Falken Ziex.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by aw1
check out tirerack.com. compare both tires you listed, then make your decision. i would personally go with Falken Ziex.
I already tried comparing the tires there... They do NOT list Sumitomo brand AT ALL..

I have Falken tires on now.. they feel really good to me so far... feel like they need to be broken in.. so we'll see.. i'll probably post pictures later...
Old 02-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Instructor

I already tried comparing the tires there... They do NOT list Sumitomo brand AT ALL..

I have Falken tires on now.. they feel really good to me so far... feel like they need to be broken in.. so we'll see.. i'll probably post pictures later...
Sorry got that backwards... tirerack.com doens't provide results for Falken 512 but Sumitomo they do...
Old 02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Licking Platters Clean

Sorry got that backwards... tirerack.com doens't provide results for Falken 512 but Sumitomo they do...
Right, tirerack doesn't carry Falkens....but I bet they will.

Anyway, very glad you made the right decision. As far as treadwear, these should be the same as Sumitomo, regardless of the traction rating. Remember, it's all how you drive them too! Lead foot +front wheel drive = tire shredder. Also, even though I have the Falken ST-115s on my TL, I also have the 512s on my wife's Accord. THEY ARE GREAT IN THE RAIN! No hydroplaning at all for us so far and besides...just look at those big rain grooves on the tires. Common sense would tell you they'll do pretty well in the rain.

Enjoy your new tires, you made the right choice.