Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:13 PM
EnJ
Anti-Acura TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2

Anyone have experience with either of these tires? I'm taking my rims off in 2 weeks or so and I really need to get some dedicated snow tires. These two have really good reviews on tirerack.com. I'm leaning toward the Michelin's, since I already have the Pilot Sport A/S and think they're great (although they really suck in the snow). I just wanted to know if anyone has used these on their TL with the stock 17" wheels and how they handled in dry, wet, and snow conditions.

On a side note, I know my tire shop is going to try to sell me some Nokians. If anyone has any experience with these, I'd like to know your thoughts on them as well.

thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 11:45 PM
acura-cl.com OG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best rating for snow tires go to the blizzaks hands down. if i were buying snow tires it would be them.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
I like my Bizzak WS-50s. True they are not a "performance snow" tire but they get the job done well. They might not drive quite as well as the Blizzak LM series but they are less expensive and should wear better. There is also the Revo-1 but I don't know much about it. There are probably better tires than the WS-50 but I have previous very good experience with them on another vehicle. The WS-50s rate very well even if they are not top of the list anymore.

As far as dry handling is concerned you will notice a bit more "wiggle" or "yaw" if you in sharp turns or quick highway maneuvers. Still less than many other cars w/o snows but just more than you are used to with your TL in the summer.

Wet handling is fine but icy wet/snow is really, really good. I'm not saying there is no slipping. Seriously, any tire will slip when pushed. But when they slip it is very predictable and you get plenty of warning and feedback. Slippery condition braking is way better since the ABS is in play far less so there is much less roll-out. Most folks, especially AWD SUV and car owners, overlook the importance of tire grip with respect to ABS braking. If it slips, it rolls on. More slip, more roll. More roll, you probably hit it ! Grip is key.

BTW - Nokians are very well likes by many other forum members and lots of my old Saab buddies. I never had them though.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you have $$ to spare... go with Michelin.... but be warned that the rubber compound hardens after the second or so winter... lol =)
Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Instructor

I also have the Blizzak WS-50's on my TL and I highly recomend them. I live on a common driveway in Mass. that is a steep uphill "S" curve where the top is always icy because it only gets sun for a short time each morning and then re-freezes and I have never had a problem getting home. In fact I even turn off the VSE so that the car wont slow me down when slight slipping does occur.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM
'06 6MT WDP

I'm about to pull the trigger on some winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack. I've read just about every review on there and I believe the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's are the way to go. General consensus is that the Blizzaks are THE best tire in the snow but are less desirable in the dry. The Pilot Alpin's have about 120 reviews on there and everyone says they are great in snow and actually handle better than stock all seasons in the dry/wet.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:06 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike 06 TL
..General consensus is that the Blizzaks are THE best tire in the snow but are less desirable in the dry...
Exactly !
I realize that much winter driving is dry but I've always been a believer that you get snow tires for the extremes so dry weather performance being a bit "off" is expected. Stopping before you hit it, getting up that hill, a bit less drifting are all more important to me then hammering corners and extreme short stops in the dry. To compromise snow traction for dry performance seems counter to the real purpose. If I were about compromises I'd run an M+S all season all year round -yuck !

I just figure that from Thanksgiving to about April Fools Day is going to be a bit looser. Backing off in the winter is good anyway since you will get much more life from tires. Buying summer tires is fun, buying a second set of snows because you got the "performance ones", not so much fun. Anyway in my parts sand on the roads is the real limiting factor in the dry during the winter.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by EnJ
Anyone have experience with either of these tires? I'm taking my rims off in 2 weeks or so and I really need to get some dedicated snow tires. These two have really good reviews on tirerack.com. I'm leaning toward the Michelin's, since I already have the Pilot Sport A/S and think they're great (although they really suck in the snow). I just wanted to know if anyone has used these on their TL with the stock 17" wheels and how they handled in dry, wet, and snow conditions.

On a side note, I know my tire shop is going to try to sell me some Nokians. If anyone has any experience with these, I'd like to know your thoughts on them as well.

thanks

Nokians are the best winter tire out there. A level above everyone else. Are you looking at the Nokian RSI? Get 16 inch rims and 205-60-16. These are chreaper and much better in the snow.

I was going for Alpins but decided on Nokians.