BFGoodrich g-Force Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFGoodrich g-Force Sport

I got a set of these from my father in-law for $50 a tire. I haven't got them mounted yet but the sidewalls have no give and I hear they can be a bit noisey. Anyone used them on their TL and have any useful feedback?

I'm currently using the OEM Turanza's which I've chalked up to the worsts tires I've ever owned.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I havent rolled on those yet.

You could check out tirerack.com for reviews and what nott. 200 for a full set of tires, is not a bad price depending on how worn they are....
Old 08-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Instructor

The tires are new.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Drifting

Looking at the reviews, and comparing to the price you gonna pay. (provided you have winter setup). I would be on this jack rabbits!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Instructor

I'll be using these in the winter too. I don't drive much in the snow nor do we get much here. My previous cars I drove summers year round.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Well if you have experience with rolling on summers in winter then, you know what your getting yourself into...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had them on for about 2 months (about 4500 miles). They are the quietest tire I've used. On my car I have had the stock Michelins (not bad), the BFG kdw's ( hellacious noise at about 30K), and now these. The grip is not as good as the kdw's, but it's very close. An awesome tire for the money!
Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Fresher the Better

Just replaced my g-Force Sports with General Exclaim UHPs (on a '99TL).

The g-Force Sports had great cornering and breaking in the dry, and were very good in the wet too EXCEPT for wet acceleration, where they would spin. Ride was harsh, but that's what you have to expect for a tire with sidewall inserts-- everything is a tradeoff.

When the weather dips below 40-F, the compound in these tires will get hard and your traction in all conditions will suffer. You may not have much snow, but these tires will not be safe in freezing rain either.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Instructor

I got the BFGoorich tires installed last Thursday. Quite an ordeal. Phoned around and found a Honda dealership near my place had a Murphy 9700 road balancing machine so I booked and appointment. Go there explain my requirements: 36psi (front and back) and basically be careful you don't scratch the wheels. The service assistant gives me the "oh come on like we haven't mounted tires before" look. So about an hour later the service assistant comes over and says I need to speak with you we have a little bit of a problem. So we walk over to the desk and he says the tech can't guarantee he won't scratch the wheels what do you want to do? I reply what kind of question is that you want me to give you permission to scratch my wheels? So I said drop the car and I'll go somewhere else. He was very apologetic and recommended another place so I went there and had the tires mounted and balanced (not road balanced). Initial thought are these tires look okay (wish they had more of the wheel protector lip), actually ride softer then the OEM Turanza's and handle better in the dry anyways no rain forecasted until Thursday.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'm running them in the 255/40 variety and my experience with both the Sports and KDW-2 are the same as Dragonlord's above statement.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
F-SPORT

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
I got the KDW's on my car. The handling on them is exceptional, but its noisy at high speeds.(Road trips)
Old 09-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TLAwesome
Just replaced my g-Force Sports with General Exclaim UHPs (on a '99TL).

The g-Force Sports had great cornering and breaking in the dry, and were very good in the wet too EXCEPT for wet acceleration, where they would spin. Ride was harsh, but that's what you have to expect for a tire with sidewall inserts-- everything is a tradeoff.

When the weather dips below 40-F, the compound in these tires will get hard and your traction in all conditions will suffer. You may not have much snow, but these tires will not be safe in freezing rain either.
+1. I had them on my front for 8 months. Good dry weather tire. Nice cornering. Not so great in the rain when starting off... I made it through a few light snow storms though. Just take it slow and leave space. The incredible noise coming from the Yokohamas in the rear overpowered any noise the gforce sports might have made. For the price you got them, go for it.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Well I've had these tires on for about a month now and I'm impressed. Smoother, better grip/handling, and as quiet as the Turanza's they replaced in both the wet and dry. I assume the noise some people complain about is more about what type of road you drive on. In Vancouver most if not all our roads are ashfault as opposed to concrete in the USA and I agree some tires on conrete can be loud. I'll have to wait at least a couple of months to see how things go in the colder weather and a bit of snow.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
New TL owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, time for me to change the stock tires.

In the past two years, has anyone else given the g-Force Sport's a try on their 3G TL?

I'm a pretty easy driver, although I do like to accelerate hard on the interstate when the time is right, but otherwise surface streets and the like I'm like a senior citizen - except I use my turn signals and don't cut people off.

Car is primarily driven in Georgia and South Carolina, where temperatures do get below 40F occasionally during the winter.

My primary concern with going with these tires if thread life as I certainly don't want to be buying new tires again here in a year or two years.

Continental has an all-season tire that I'm looking at through Kauffman Tire that has a 50k mile warranty and is only $9 more per tire. Very tempted to go with that one, and surprised I didn't when I placed the initial order.

Anyway - I'll search for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS elsewhere so I don't clutter this one up - but I just wanted to get some input on how the past two years have gone with the g-Force Sport and if any new drivers of this tire have been happy with it for over 25-30k miles.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal1221
Well, time for me to change the stock tires.

In the past two years, has anyone else given the g-Force Sport's a try on their 3G TL?

I'm a pretty easy driver, although I do like to accelerate hard on the interstate when the time is right, but otherwise surface streets and the like I'm like a senior citizen - except I use my turn signals and don't cut people off.

Car is primarily driven in Georgia and South Carolina, where temperatures do get below 40F occasionally during the winter.

My primary concern with going with these tires if thread life as I certainly don't want to be buying new tires again here in a year or two years.

Continental has an all-season tire that I'm looking at through Kauffman Tire that has a 50k mile warranty and is only $9 more per tire. Very tempted to go with that one, and surprised I didn't when I placed the initial order.

Anyway - I'll search for the Continental Extreme Contact DWS elsewhere so I don't clutter this one up - but I just wanted to get some input on how the past two years have gone with the g-Force Sport and if any new drivers of this tire have been happy with it for over 25-30k miles.

Thanks
It's the same now as it was then. They're extremely noisy after they get some miles on them, they cracked after 6 months on both my TL and my friend's Mustang, traction is average, ride is unnecessarily harsh (for the responsiveness). I would never buy them again and they were so bad I swapped mine out before they were halfway worn down due to noise. The only good thing was the treadlife was decent. They probably would've gone 40,000 miles.

There are many other tires out there, I would pick one based on your needs. I run the Nitto NT05, probably the best "street" tire out there if you're looking for all out traction. However you will only get 20,000 miles out of them even driving easy. I would do a search at tirerack.com for reviews. Make sure to look at people who have put some real mileage on the tires. You see a lot of people, especially with the BFGs that give them a great review at first only to come back to give them a very poor review 4,000 miles later due to noise.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a bit noisey....get ready for a take off everytime you drive, you cant hear s***.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:40 PM
New TL owner

ugh...need tires bad and these seem to be the only 23545/17 in stock at local tire shops...

So screwed.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 PM
New TL owner

Think I'm not leaning towards the Falken ZE912s, AS performance tire w/ a 40k warranty.

Now just have to make sure the local tire shops can get it in or have it in stock for a fair price...plus I'm getting an alignment so I'm gonna be trying to get them to reduce the cost of the alignment.