BEST Performance Suspension Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^would you be interested in explaining to us what you did to your Koni shock to get this extra travel? I am sure I am not the only one interested in this information. I do remember you stating something about the possibility to send them(Koni's) out to get revalved for compression damp. If not, could you name a place for us to look? Thanks

Would adding a helper spring to the sleeve help with this?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Helpers won't change anything in how the suspension works with the car. They only keep the springs coupled to the upper and lower perches at full droop. Not worth the $250+ price tag for the 4 springs and 4 couplers...
Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^would you be interested in explaining to us what you did to your Koni shock to get this extra travel? I am sure I am not the only one interested in this information. I do remember you stating something about the possibility to send them(Koni's) out to get revalved for compression damp. If not, could you name a place for us to look? Thanks
You grind the lower bracket off the shock so it can slide further down in the lower control arm bracket and put the spring perch on the high setting. This way you're lowered but you have full travel before the bumpstop takes over. I thought I had invented something new when I came up with this only to find out the Civic guys had been doing it for a while.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I thought I had invented something new when I came up with this only to find out the Civic guys had been doing it for a while.
Great minds think alike...

For those interested in this mod: If done right this maintains the same bump/droop travel from the wheels perspective, but it increases bump and decreases droop from the chassis point of view. What this means is that you have be very careful not to go too far that the upper control arms start hitting the shock tower. This is a common issue on the Civics with extended bump-travel (ie: this so-called shock-fork-mod or via extended top mounts).
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliWowie
Yeah man. Different people bring different theories to the table. No doubt the koni set up is a experiment daily. Lemmy see if I can paint another up travel-down travel thing for ya...

Let’s say your suspension has 10 inches of travel total. now installed on the car the weight of the car compresses your suspension to 5 inches. now your suspension can soaked up a bump up to 5 inches from a constant flat surface. and the momentum keeps the body where it’s at. That would be called "up travel"

Now if you're at a constant speed on a flat surface and you come up to a 5 inch dip. your suspension will drop into the dip, while your body stays the same with the momentum keeping the tires on the ground for no loss of traction. That would be called "down travel"

now if you taking a hard left turn your body roll will make your right side dip and you’re left side rise...the travel in you suspension will be experiencing up travel on the outside while the left side of your car will be experiencing down travel.

From this gangster azz thread i collected that overly stiff sway bars wont allow your suspension to deliver the right amount of up or down travel. And short spring won’t allow for much drop on overall dips.

Hope that helps.

Great post. Great input. Great knowledge all around guys.
Wow great explanation! Thanks for taking the time to write that up; I learned a lot from it!

Excellent post. Great guys. Amazing forum.