best overall all-season tire(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best overall all-season tire(s)?

The Goodyear Assurance tires got a almost perfect rating for all types of conditions drivers face. It is relatively inexpensive too. Could this tire be so perfect ? Any experiences on snow and ice by fellow Acurazine readers? This is a better bargain than Toyo's Proxes 4 , Michelin Pilot a/s , and the Pirrelli Nero Zero. I am not concerned about high or ultra-high performances as I am concerned about sure footed emergency handling in snow,wet, and icy conditions and a luxury quiet ride.What have people spent on these tires and from where? What have people done with the stock tires they replaced?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by vtec_1994
The Goodyear Assurance tires got a almost perfect rating for all types of conditions drivers face. It is relatively inexpensive too. Could this tire be so perfect ? Any experiences on snow and ice by fellow Acurazine readers? This is a better bargain than Toyo's Proxes 4 , Michelin Pilot a/s , and the Pirrelli Nero Zero. I am not concerned about high or ultra-high performances as I am concerned about sure footed emergency handling in snow,wet, and icy conditions and a luxury quiet ride.What have people spent on these tires and from where? What have people done with the stock tires they replaced?
It's ratings are only relative to the testing audience. Did you read the reviews? Lots of the drivers of the TripleTred tires, drive minivans, and assorted econoboxes. Whereas if you look at the P-Zero Nero M+S, there are lots of M3's, WRXs, G35s, Vettes, etc. That's why I look at the 9.0 cornering stability as a joke on the tripletred tires.

When I bought my last set of tires, the tire place screwed up my order, and tried to sell me a set of TripleTreds. They told me that even though they are T rated, they perform like other manufacturers V rated tires... Last time I checked, the speed rating is government regulated. That would be like me saying that my hole in the wall restaurant in California, with a D rating from the dept of health, is just as clean as my competitions B rated restaurants.

That aside, if you don't care about Ultra High Performance or High Performance, why are you even looking at the Toyo Proxy 4, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, and Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S? Those are all "Ultra High Performance" All Season Tires. That's like saying, "I don't care about Ultra Sporty Cars, but this Hyundai Sonata is a better deal than the BMW M5, Chevy Corvette, and Dodge Viper".

You should be looking at Tires like Toyo Proxy TPT, Yokohama Avid V4, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4, etc.... Of these tires, I like the Toyo Proxy TPT. It's still considered a Performance All Season, is V rated, has a 65,000 mile warranty, and has pretty good ratings for traction in all weather. The Pilot HX MXM4 is pure crap. I never owned an Avid V4, but I did have the Yokohama AVS db, but that's an Ultra High Performance A/S tire.

Though I've heard nothing but good things from the people I know with the Assurance Triple Tred. But I believe the speed rating on that tire is less than OEM for the TL. That may or may not bother you. Personally, I like my tires to at least have an "A" rating in all categories. IIRC, the Assurance tires are B rated for temperature.