Base suspension vs. Type-S suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base suspension vs. Type-S suspension

Hey guys, I'm looking to lower my 2004 TL base AT. I have the stock suspension on. Is the 2008 TL Type-S stock suspension same or lower? If it is, how much lower is it? I've been searching here plus the web but cant find anything.. thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The type s is lower than stock. Aspec is lower than type s.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Racer

1. so an 07-08 type s a-spec suspension would fit an 04-06 TL?? this including the manual suspension fitting and auto TL?

2. is the 07-08 type s a-spec suspension lower than an 04-06 a-spec suspension
Old 06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by StYLeZz101
1. so an 07-08 type s a-spec suspension would fit an 04-06 TL?? this including the manual suspension fitting and auto TL?

2. is the 07-08 type s a-spec suspension lower than an 04-06 a-spec suspension
From what I hear, the type S fits, but not sure about the A-spec.. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Intermediate

There are 3 suspension set up from the factory: stock, type s and aspec. There is no type s aspec suspension. It's type s or aspec.
The following users liked this post:
mikecu (04-14-2020)
Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

aspec is the lowest
Old 06-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Racer

when i sed type s a-spec i thought the 07-08 type s suspension didnt fit on the base 07-08's....i wanted to kno if the a-spec that is used on the 07-08 type s lower then the a-spec used on the 04-06 models or are they all the same drop

from what i seen the aspec for the 04-06 is about 3/4" - 1"
the type s stock is ______ lower then the base
the a spec used on the type is ____ lower than both
Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
From what i read on other posts, this might be wrong though because its confusing and no1 at acura can give me a definite answer, but the 07-08 aspec is the same as the 04-06 aspec suspension, it gives a lower ride on the 07-08 type s because of the weight due to the larger engine, the MT version for the aspec is supposed to give a lower drop than the AT version because they are softer for support a lighter car. This is what i gathered from reading numerous posts, i dont know if this is true though, can someone please confirm this? I have an 05 with aspec suspension and i was thinking of moving to the MT aspec suspension for a little more of a drop but i just cant get a definite answer on this so im sticking to my aspecs.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Nismo TL yo!

the MT aspec suspension is only lower when it is used on a/t TL's. It is not lower when used for its specified application.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
this thread is confusing me. i thought i knew this but now im not sure. when i almost ordered the a-spec susp acura wanted to know what year, manual or auto, and type s or not. i always thought type s had its own version of the a-spec susp. maybe thats not true tho i dont know. certainly someone here knows 100% for sure.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
this thread is confusing me. i thought i knew this but now im not sure. when i almost ordered the a-spec susp acura wanted to know what year, manual or auto, and type s or not. i always thought type s had its own version of the a-spec susp. maybe thats not true tho i dont know. certainly someone here knows 100% for sure.
i thought the same thing as this but from what i read online theres only one aspec suspension that is used throughout the TL line. I wish someone could actually explain the differences if there is one.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Racer

ok since the aspec gives u about an inch drop...can you get away with taking off the springs and replacing them with the h&r sport springs and not have to worry about the strut being damaged as opposed to putting the h&r on a stock tl suspension assembly...or is the aspec suspension kit merely the stock set up with different springs installed

dont kno y im tryin to figure this out b/c im slammed on tein ss
Old 12-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Cruisin'

Ok so this thread is old but I am on the hunt for either A-Spec or Type S shocks for my 2004 TL auto base. And instead of posting a new topic I used the search and found this one. On to my question, Will the Type S from 07-08 auto shocks lower my car and by how much. I know the A-Spec will about 1 inch (what I am looking for but no one has them used)
Old 12-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
^ Nah it won't lower it sorry man
Old 12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by GRaPHX-027
Ok so this thread is old but I am on the hunt for either A-Spec or Type S shocks for my 2004 TL auto base. And instead of posting a new topic I used the search and found this one. On to my question, Will the Type S from 07-08 auto shocks lower my car and by how much. I know the A-Spec will about 1 inch (what I am looking for but no one has them used)

I agree with GP. TL-S Shock/Springs will not lower the car. But it would be a handling improvement (unless someone has 6MT, then it's similar, but that's not you).

A-Spec is actually supposed to be 3/4" lower and best OE handling package.

Or TL-S shocks with H&R Sport springs (or similar). Drop of a little more than 1-1/4" and better handling.

Or after market.

Lots and Lots of options.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:55 PM
9th Gear

so if I want to lower my 2005 TL just about an inch, should I look into the aspec suspension?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by PhishoTL
so if I want to lower my 2005 TL just about an inch, should I look into the aspec suspension?
My A-Spec shocks dropped me pretty close to an inch =)
(I really didn't measure)

Old 12-25-2011, 05:06 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to bring this one back to the top. Please confirm that my homework is correct

04-08 TL stock - stock ride height
07-08 TL-S - not much of a difference at all (only stiffened from acura for hanlding)
04-08 TL-Aspec - 3/4''-1" drop on all TL's including tl-s, best handling

??

-Also, since most of our tl's sag in the rear...................will installing aspec also sag in the rear because i will be dropping the current stance 1'' all around?

-Also, with 18'' aspec wheels and spacers, its already pretty close with stock, since i'm mostly a SHOW guy and not so much GO anymore, would putting aspec in the front only to even the gap be stupid? (mind you, this is a stupid questions, but i thinking out loud, only because with the 18" aspec's and spacers i'm very close to rubbing with even someone light in the back.)

Thanks Jay!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:20 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by J.TL
Going to bring this one back to the top. Please confirm that my homework is correct

04-08 TL stock - stock ride height
07-08 TL-S - not much of a difference at all (only stiffened from acura for hanlding)
04-08 TL-Aspec - 3/4''-1" drop on all TL's including tl-s, best handling

??

-Also, since most of our tl's sag in the rear...................will installing aspec also sag in the rear because i will be dropping the current stance 1'' all around?

-Also, with 18'' aspec wheels and spacers, its already pretty close with stock, since i'm mostly a SHOW guy and not so much GO anymore, would putting aspec in the front only to even the gap be stupid? (mind you, this is a stupid questions, but i thinking out loud, only because with the 18" aspec's and spacers i'm very close to rubbing with even someone light in the back.)

Thanks Jay!
in terms of your height yes...you are correct.

firmest --->softest suspension
aspec (and 1" drop), type-s (stock height), 04-06 6MT (stock ht), 04-06 5AT (stock ht), 07-08 base (stock ht).

if you have an AT, get the MT kit for an even drop. if you have MT, then you still need to get the MT kit (the rear will be about a 1/2inch lower than the front).

if you only put 1/2 of the aspec suspension on...it would be completely stupid IMO. your handling will be competely off front to back. if you are looking for looks only then just get lowering springs. if you want a well tuned suspension specifically for the car with a subtle drop, get aspec.

get aspec suspension with a beefier rsb...you'll be grinning ear to ear with turns and corners (i should know...i have this set up) .
The following 2 users liked this post by TLtrigirl:
0utl (04-11-2014), justnspace (12-25-2011)
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 PM
7th Gear

can some one tell if the front spindle are the same on acura tl 04 08 any differences between type s or base model cause iam trying to do a swap brembo caliper to my 04 tl base model
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

aspec (and 1" drop), type-s (stock height), 04-06 6MT (stock ht), 04-06 5AT (stock ht), 07-08 base (stock ht).

if you have an AT, get the MT kit for an even drop. if you have MT, then you still need to get the MT kit (the rear will be about a 1/2inch lower than the front).

if you only put 1/2 of the aspec suspension on...it would be completely stupid IMO. your handling will be competely off front to back. if you are looking for looks only then just get lowering springs. if you want a well tuned suspension specifically for the car with a subtle drop, get aspec.

get aspec suspension with a beefier rsb...you'll be grinning ear to ear with turns and corners (i should know...i have this set up) .
Thanks, i knew it was stupid i just wanted to see if anyone did it or ppl's opinion. i've had my fun with modded and tuned cars, so i just want looks on my tl, it is the 6mt. But regardless i've never cheaped out on mods, so i will do it right and get the aspec mt for the car and get koni's in the front if i feel it needs to go lower for the perfect look.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Time to search more, this info is all over the place.

Type-S is the same height as base.

A-spec is lower than the base.

'04-'06 base is stiffer than '07-'08 but they have the same ride height. Swaybars are stiffer on the '-07-'08 base model to base model.

Manuals have larger swaybars than autos except for the Type S.

Type S has the largest swaybars.

Auto and manuals are the same height but *supposedly* if you run manual front springs in an auto, the auto will sit lower due to a little extra weight. I used the manual a-spec front springs in my auto and mine had the same drop as a manual to manual or auto to auto.

A-spec is stiffer than Type-S which is stiffer than the '04-'06 which is stiffer than the '07-'08. All are at the same height except for a-spec.
The following 2 users liked this post by I hate cars:
ProfessorFunk (12-19-2019), vivid19 (02-22-2014)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
thread revival

i put 08 type S MT rear suspension on 07 base TL.
front has 2.5-3 finger gaps. rear has 3.5-4 finger gaps.
boy i can feel the rear stiffness but nobody will notice.

i've always wondered why TL rear is soooooooooooooo soft.
cars i'm used to, front takes the bump very mildly, then rear jumps its ass off for some reason (lack of weight?)
now it's close, not that close, but i guess i'll live with it for now.

time to test 300lb tongue weight

hoping front would be 2-2.5 when fronts are done.
would i still need an alignment? car still drives straight.......
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

Just remember you just decreased understeer and made the car more tail happy. It's probably not unsafe yet but something to think about especially if you have an aftermarket rsb.

You don't want that stiff hopping feeling what you're describing is the typical rwd live axle car. The IRS of the TL is there to get rid of that characteristic.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Smile

Thread revival again --- This may be what Im looking for--- If I am after a more comfortable ride for my 2006 base tl with Nav...changed shocks to Kyb @ 86k and the ride has remained harsh...would I be able to get a better ride with the 07/08 shock assemblies ? - can get the full set up for $566
or would I be disappointed...?
Right now I can get the Aspec shipped for $635

I think what most people are asking from those in the know -- is there a noticeable difference in ride quality with the Aspec vs base...
Once again I don't care for the drop but if its going to be better performance for basically the same ride then I may as well go Aspec..
BTW - this is my daily driver, paid off car and Im 42 ..so not a cruiser like you young fellas..

Help me out

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

Old 03-19-2013, 07:33 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

yes there is a noticeable difference between base 6MT (which is what i had) to Aspec.

if you noticed i posted the firmest to softest of the OEM based suspensions in the quote you had. if you have the 06 AT suspension then moving to Aspec will be noticeable. search "aspec suspension" and you will find a bunch of other threads of reviews. the floatiness will be significantly diminished and the car will handle with a touch less body roll (this is without the upgraded RSB). you will feel the bumps in the road, BUT i do not believe it is overly harsh like a coilover set up.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Team Owner

I think the a-spec is a very good compromise between performance and comfort. When you do the swap, there's no doubt the car rides firmer and handles better but a car can be firmer without necessarily being less comfortable. If you get rid of some of the swaying motion such as making a turn and going over a bump or gutter, you've actually improved ride comfort. The car no longer has much side to side motion as you go over some bumps so you're not being slammed side to side anymore. If you do straight freeway driving with endless expansion joints you're going to lose a little comfort.

The way I feel is A-spec would be acceptable as a base suspension in other cars in this class. In fact, the Lexus IS350 with the Sport option rides considerably harsher than the TL with a-spec. The relatively long wheelbase saves the day for the TL, making bumps less noticeable. The farther you are from an axle the less you feel stiffer springs.

It's not firm enough that other adult passengers are going to think you've done anything to the suspension. There's going to be days where you're not entirely sure lol.

Back to performance, one thing this suspension does is stiffen the rear more than the front, the ratio between front and rear spring stiffness goes more toward the rear. What this does is take away some of the understeer. Even if it did not reduce body roll at all, it would still help handling at the limit. I've gotten to where I can feel every change I make to the handling balance in the steering wheel. Even on very slow, easy corners the steering will feel stiffer with more front stiffness, and lighter with more rear stiffness such as the aspec suspension or a larger rear swaybar. If the steering wheel feels lighter, you can bet the handling balance shifted slightly rearward.
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (03-19-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Cruisin'

I am not sure if i have the a spec package but next to a type s mine sits lower by about an inch, i was wanting to switch to the type s suspension but after reading this thread, my only question is How do you tell if you have the a spec version versus the base model? I have only owned this car for about 4 months now and just thought it was the base model. Its an 07 TL, no navi, auto.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Cruisin'

Anabolic_one : get the A spec! According to most of the threads i have read it will give the best ride to performance handling versus the base or type s models. I have a bad back as well and the TL rides better than a lot of sport luxury vehicles.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
So everyone is talking about using mt type s suspension on a 04-06 auto base tl, but I didn't notice if you can put auto type s suspension on 04-06 mt base tl? Thanks!
Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by 0utl
So everyone is talking about using mt type s suspension on a 04-06 auto base tl, but I didn't notice if you can put auto type s suspension on 04-06 mt base tl? Thanks!
All of the OEM suspensions are interchangeable. So if you want to put an AT type-s suspension on an 04-06 MT...it will fit. Your handling might improve but you will not get a drop.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Yeah thats what i figured i just saw people talking about the MT type s drops it down slightly for an auto base? So i just wanted to clarify for when i'm in search for new shocks. Thanks
Old 12-18-2019, 09:19 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by xxhv83xx
Hey guys, I'm looking to lower my 2004 TL base AT. I have the stock suspension on. Is the 2008 TL Type-S stock suspension same or lower? If it is, how much lower is it? I've been searching here plus the web but cant find anything.. thanks guys!
what suspension should I get if I want to go lower but not to low and I am getting Megan racing EZ ll Coilovers so what suspension would be best with that (I have a Acura TL type s 2008)