Balance = New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 11:20 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Balance = New Tires?

So it was pointed out to me yesterday.. my car has four brand new tires on it!

When I bought the car I don't think the tires were brand new but they certainly weren't worn out; they were some cheap-o Riken tires or something ?

Anywho, i'm talking to my Aunt yesterday about the car (she thought it was brand new not an 04 - heee), and my friend says "hey.. didn't you have some off brand tires on here?"

I look.. and sure enough, four brand new Sumitomos (or something.. I just checked but I already forgot)

Has anyone else had all four tires replaced when you sent the car in for an alignment/balance ?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume you took it to the dealer for the balance? If so, I find it hard to believe that they would replace your tires with new tires and not tell you. Dealers aren't really known for going the extra mile for customers without at least telling you about it.

Maybe the tech made a mistake and mounted new tires by accident? Do you have distinctive wheels so that you're sure the tech didn't just take the wheels from a car in an adjacent bay in the shop and put them on your car?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:01 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Stock wheels.. (Non A-Spec); when I went to pickup my car I gave him the keys from my rental and he walked me out to my car and said here you go, bring it back when you want to have the window tape fixed..

To answer your question, yes - when driving home after I bought it I realized it needed a balance and alignment. I thought maybe they just swapped the rims - but I figured since the inside is still dirty as hell on the fronts (it's got the brembos) and I can see where the old weights fell off they were still my originals..

Not sure why they got replaced, but i'm sure as hell not going to complain about new tires!
Old 08-19-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

Originally Posted by Timmahh
Stock wheels.. (Non A-Spec); when I went to pickup my car I gave him the keys from my rental and he walked me out to my car and said here you go, bring it back when you want to have the window tape fixed..

To answer your question, yes - when driving home after I bought it I realized it needed a balance and alignment. I thought maybe they just swapped the rims - but I figured since the inside is still dirty as hell on the fronts (it's got the brembos) and I can see where the old weights fell off they were still my originals..

Not sure why they got replaced, but i'm sure as hell not going to complain about new tires!

Wish I could be so lucky...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
You should have received an invoice for all work performed- regardless of warranty or you pay
Its possible your tires were subject to a recall so the dealer handled it for you

again- there should be paperwork showing this- otherwise, someone stole your tires and rims!!!
Dirt and marks from old weights do not prove ownership- all wheels look like that
Go in person and ask the SERVICE MANAGER what going on
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

All of my work was done under warranty / on behalf of the dealership.. I just signed the initial paper next t othe "$0" for estimate and that was it..
Old 08-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,104 Likes on 764 Posts
So it was pointed out to me yesterday.. my car has four brand new tires on it!
...I look.. and sure enough, four brand new Sumitomos (or something.. I just checked but I already forgot)
Was your car certified? If so, the dealer may have needed to change out non-speed rated Rikens with speed-rated tires.

On that note, check the Sumitomos to make sure they are the stock size.
And get them balanced!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:31 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

It's certified, 6MT tranny, tires are balanced - what's the stock size ?
Old 08-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,104 Likes on 764 Posts
...what's the stock size ?
You're kidding, right???
I thought you read the owner's manual 3 dozen times before even you even got the car!

The size is on 1) the driver's side door sticker (along w/cold psi- 35F/32R for the 6M) and 2) the owner's manual, also available at the 3G garage at: https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...404O00254B.pdf

Now that I'm finished busting your chops,
the tire size for the stock 17-inch wheels is 235/45R17, with a W speed rating for stock tires.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

doh.. I completely forgot about the driver door label (stupid me!!)

The tires on my car are...:

235/45/ZR17

Sumitomo HTR 45Z
Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
doh.. I completely forgot about the driver door label (stupid me!!)

The tires on my car are...:

235/45/ZR17

Sumitomo HTR 45Z

What is a Sumitomo? Never heard of them..

What did you have on your car before?

It is possible that the dealer did put someone else's Tires and rims on your car i guess..

Are all of the rims in the same condition as before?

If your happy then that is all that matters
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Rims all look fine.. they were like.. Riken tires before or something, really cheap ones I believe..

Edit: Yarr.. Riken Raptors are what came on it.. Sumitomos have good reviews on TireRack.. I googled Riken and they don't appear to have a website ?

Edit Edit: Riken is made by Michelin...

Michelin introduces Riken Raptor ZR ultra-high performance tire

June 1, 2005

Michelin North America Inc. has introduced a new line of ultra-high performance tires -- the Riken Raptor ZR.
Twenty-seven sizes of the Riken Raptor ZR line are now available for the company's Alliance dealers in eight 16-inch, 12 17-inch and seven 18-inch sizes. Following early in July will be two 20-inch sizes.

When fully introduced, the Raptor ZR line will cover 78% of the UHP marketplace, the company notes.

"This tire line is designed to provide our dealers with a tire that will deliver the right performance at the right price for the consumer looking to customize and improve the look and performance of their vehicle," said Thom Peebles, brand director Riken Tires.

"This is a significant step for Riken as we are introducing the deepest UHP line in the brand's history and we won't stop there. We will continue to build Riken by introducing new sizes and new lines to provide our customers with the product they need to capitalize on the profitable lower price tier of the UHP market."

The Riken Raptor ZR tire has a directional tread design and a "waved" center rib to help channel water away from the footprint; oversized swept-back lateral rib elements for maximum grip during cornering; and rubber compounds that help the tire maintain its shape "and deliver added progressivity feeling to the driver in both high- and low-speed driving situations," says the company.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:58 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Resolved!

".. put new tires on it so he doesn't have to come back in for the same issue"

'cause the Rikens are cheap-o I guess
Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm your Huckleberry

Awesome ... dealership seems to be looking out for you....
Old 08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Maybe it's because my friend knows the used car manager (who setup my deal) and I know the director of finance o_O
Old 08-23-2007, 10:59 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice connections