Avoid Hardrace Rear Trailing or Leading Arm Bushings 6815

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts
Angry Avoid Hardrace Rear Trailing or Leading Arm Bushings 6815

I don't post much but my recent experience with Hardrace's rear trailing or leading arm bushings, 6815, which can be used on 04-08 TL's, 1st gen CL9 TSX's and 2nd gen YA4 CL's has lead me to share my experience.

My TL has over 200k miles and it was time for a rear suspension rebuild, long over due. I picked up various OEM parts along with arms from RockAuto and these Hardrace bushings. After completing the rebuild I took the car for a drive and noticed the rear end would "wiggle" during jounce and rebound or going over expansion joints or surface transitions on the highway. Weird, right? figured it was probably an alignment thing. Took it to be aligned and even after, the "wiggle" persisted. During the rebuild process I noticed that Acura had placed pieces of rubber in one of the two windows in these compliance bushings. I didn't think much of it until driving the car and coming to the realization that Hardrace missed these rubber "limiter" pieces in there bushing design. The moral of the story is don't send your $100 to Hardrace and buy Honda/Acura OEM rear and leading trailing arms. Heck! you might not even need to replace them, mine didn't look that bad and I am kicking myself for trying to rebuild them.

On a positive note. Hardrace took care of me and refunded the cost of the bushings, that's a stand up company.

Last edited by 6spd-GERCO; 03-06-2024 at 12:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-06-2024, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,495 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spd-GERCO
I don't post much but my recent experience with Hardrace's rear trailing or leading arm bushings, 6815, During the rebuild process I noticed that Acura had placed pieces of rubber in one of the two windows in these compliance bushings. I didn't think much of it until driving the car and coming to the realization that Hardrace missed these rubber "limiter" pieces in there bushing design.
So, in order to visually understand the 'picture you are trying to paint', I tried to find the best images of the OEM & hardrace 6815 bushes you are referring to.

I presume the '...pieces of rubber in one of the two windows' on the OEM bush is generally in the area of the yellow arrow below?
52380-SEP-A02 | Rear suspension lever transverse upper HONDA ACCORD USA 03-07 - buy used from Honda dismantling in Kiev | AutoJapan Auto Dismantling (3234444.com)

Furthermore, the yellow arrow below indicates the area(s) missing '...rubber "limiter" pieces in there bushing design' that you are referring to?
Are those areas void of rubber all the way to the other side?

In addition, where the red arrow points below, is that a 'lip' or 'bulge' in the rubber or does it mirror what is found on the opposite side as well?

​​​​​​​Sorry, for the questions; however, these are about the best graphic renditions I could find of HR-6815's and they lack for detail.

Also, just to clarify, you pressed the individual 6815's into the OEM arms and just reused them, correct?
If so, you were mindful of 'clocking' the 6815's 'windows' similar to how the OEM bush was oriented?

Hardrace Rear Control Arm Bushing Honda Accord,Accord Aero Deck | Fullcartuning.com

Old 03-06-2024, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,192 Likes on 896 Posts
hmm those Hardrace bushings shouldn't be causing your issues.

Did the factory bushings by themselves cure your issue?

Side question...did you clock all the bushings before tightening them? If not..now is your chance. Otherwise, you'll need new bushings in a few months.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeta
So, in order to visually understand the 'picture you are trying to paint', I tried to find the best images of the OEM & hardrace 6815 bushes you are referring to.

I presume the '...pieces of rubber in one of the two windows' on the OEM bush is generally in the area of the yellow arrow below?
52380-SEP-A02 | Rear suspension lever transverse upper HONDA ACCORD USA 03-07 - buy used from Honda dismantling in Kiev | AutoJapan Auto Dismantling (3234444.com)

Furthermore, the yellow arrow below indicates the area(s) missing '...rubber "limiter" pieces in there bushing design' that you are referring to?
Are those areas void of rubber all the way to the other side?

In addition, where the red arrow points below, is that a 'lip' or 'bulge' in the rubber or does it mirror what is found on the opposite side as well?

Sorry, for the questions; however, these are about the best graphic renditions I could find of HR-6815's and they lack for detail.

Also, just to clarify, you pressed the individual 6815's into the OEM arms and just reused them, correct?
If so, you were mindful of 'clocking' the 6815's 'windows' similar to how the OEM bush was oriented?

Hardrace Rear Control Arm Bushing Honda Accord,Accord Aero Deck | Fullcartuning.com
Hey Zeta, Thank you for including the pictures and attempting to interpret my scribbles! The "limiters" go all the way through one side of the bushing. Hardrace bushings rubber shape is symmetric. Marked orientation of bushing on the OEM arms, pressed them out and installed the hard race 6815 bushing in the same orientation as OEM bushings.

Originally Posted by BROlando
hmm those Hardrace bushings shouldn't be causing your issues.

Did the factory bushings by themselves cure your issue?

Side question...did you clock all the bushings before tightening them? If not..now is your chance. Otherwise, you'll need new bushings in a few months.
The 3 other links are relatively perpendicular to the direction of car travel, so their impact to toe change during suspension cycling should be minimal. The OEM arms and bushings are on the way.

6815 bushings installed in the same orientation as OEM, crispy new Honda hardware used and all torqued to spec with full vehicle weight on suspension. I am not a savage
The following 2 users liked this post by 6spd-GERCO:
BROlando (03-07-2024), zeta (03-07-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 08:06 AM
Burning Brakes

1 of the 4 arms is on back order from Honda. However, I installed the 3 of the 4 arms and this resolved the wiggling rear end. At the same time, I switched back to winter tires for the predicted snow in my area, the rear all season tires were toast. All from the toe changing due to the hardrace bushings, the fronts are fine. Lesson here: Get OEM arms with bushings or make sure whatever aftermarket arms you do get match the OEM design.