Aspec With Comptech Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aspec With Comptech Springs

This is my Aspec story that hopefully will help others. After much reading and analysis I decided to buy an Aspec suspension. I ordered it from Acura of Las Vegas; it was delivered as promised all was good. The suspension was installed in 6 speed manual transmission 04 TL when I noticed that the front looked to be too high. After reading others experiences and contacting Acura of Las Vegas I realized that they shipped me the setup for an automatic. Now I had to swap out just the front setup but after the install of just the fronts I still noticed that I really did not like the drop. I figured after I put on the 19’s that maybe this would fill up the wheel well a bit. Well yes it did but the front just did not look as good as the rear drop. The next idea was to get a set of Comptech springs and only replace the fronts, so that’s what I did knowing fully about the difference between the progressive Acura Aspec springs and the non progressive Comptech springs. The drop was perfect but now the ride suffered, under normal driving all was good but a bit soft. When I would corner hard things got a bit weird with a lack of proper stability. The look was perfect but the ride because of the different spring setup suffered, which I realized was a mistake but sometimes you just have to try. The other problem was also on hard cornering the front tires would slightly rub, it just was not the way to go. I mention this because there have been those that have asked if anyone has done just that, again it’s not the way to go. So what I finally did is what I should have done if I wasn’t happy with the Aspec drop, just replace all four springs. I finally replaced the rear springs with the Comptechs and the ride is an absolute joy, truly a blast no issues at all. The front is just a little higher than before because of the fact that the Comptech springs sit a little lower in the rear than the Aspec, therefore it makes the front just a tad bit higher. Regardless of this I think that it is still better from the cornering perspective, no rubbing issues. Also the difference is not visually noticeable, I only know because I measured it with my fingers before and after. I am very happy with the ride, I personally think that it rides better than the stock Aspec setup, it’s a bit stiffer but not harsh at all and it has a much sportier feel about it. Not to mention the look is right on although I again I prefer a slightly lower front that the Comptech setup but if I go any lower as I stated then I get rubbing on hard cornering.

Lastly I am aware of what many would say and recommend with regards to just getting a coil over setup. I will say to you all that are thinking this as you read this article that I completely agree with those that say get the coil overs. If I had to do it all over again I would have opted for the coil overs, no doubt it’s the best way to go and you can adjust height and firmness. I really can’t imagine that the ride would be much different than what I have now. The only reason that I have written this article is to provide some direction to those that are not happy with the height of the Aspec setup and are wondering what would happen with a set of Comptech springs on an Apsec suspension. Again if you haven’t already bought the Aspec, then go with some type of coil overs but if you already have it and cant sell it for a decent amount, I assure you that you will be more than happy with a set of Comptech springs on your Aspec. Lastly there are those that have spoken regarding Aspec shocks/struts wearing out prematurely that you can’t get replacements. I have looked into it and the dealer does have the ability to order them, from what I recall they would run around $150 each, they could have been slightly more but not much more than that. In the event that mine wear out I will just opt for Konis. This whole thing is just about using some of what you have that is a really good product without just letting go to waste.

I will be posting pictures of my ride very soon feel free to ask me any questions I would be more than happy to assist.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
how was the ride on the aspecs compared tot he stock setup?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
how was the ride on the aspecs compared tot he stock setup?
Personally I dont really like the stock ride it is just to soft especially when you go over dips on the freeway, the car tends to bounce a bit afterwards. The stock ASPEC ride is just perfect you can notice a differece but you dont sacrifice the ride at all. It is almost the way the car should be in its stock form. If this is what you are considering I know first hand you wont be disappointed its just a really great ride, not harsh at all, not soft or bouncy, just a smooth ride but slightly firmer. Much more stability in corners, again a real joy.