Anyone with wheel locks ever get their wheels stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Anyone with wheel locks ever get their wheels stolen?

I was looking at wheel lock options, and I only found one ball seat Gorilla lock. But then I came across the Gorilla Guard with the freely rotating outer sleeve, and that really interested me, but it's only available with a conical seat.

Do you think that's probably the best wheel lock to use? I don't see any YouTube videos on how to remove them, so that might be a good sign. I'm going to call Gorilla to see if they can send me 5 sets that all use the same key so that I can put locks on all the studs (I don't think the shop will be too happy if I make them use 5 wheel lock keys).

Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size) - Pack of 4: Automotive Amazon.com: Gorilla Automotive 61631 Acorn Guard Locks (12mm x 1.50" Thread Size) - Pack of 4: Automotive

I was thinking about using these adapter washers with them.

http://www.brandsport.com/excl-793.html

But I'm concerned that it will be a headache for the shop every time I bring it in for a rotation. When they take the wheels off, 5 washers will fall out of every wheel, possibly getting lost somewhere, so I thought about giving them a bag of washers every time I brought it in.

I could also run them without the washers. Anyone think that's a bad idea? I'm currently running conical lug nuts on my stock wheels, and I haven't had any issues with them loosening themselves. I only found out about the ball seat recently. My only concern is wheel damage. Could conical nuts damage ball seat wheels? I guess it can't hurt to try the washers.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I got my wheel locks at the dealership-never had any issues. Gorilla is a good brand.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
08 TL type-S

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
My wheel locks (mcgard) came on the car too, they seem to be excellent and the company is very professional www.Mcgard.com
I had to order a new key from them, and they are very professional, and handle locks and security for more than just vehicles. It was very confidential and secure when I ordered my new key. I can't imagine anybody stealing wheels off a car with wheel locks, especially the ones I have. You would really need the key.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Pro

Thanks, though it seems like it's pretty easy to remove that style of wheel lock with a bolt extractor.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bol...olt-extractors

There are many videos on YouTube showing how to do it. Maybe I'll just hope it's enough to deter most thieves.

Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
My wheel locks (mcgard) came on the car too, they seem to be excellent and the company is very professional www.Mcgard.com
I had to order a new key from them, and they are very professional, and handle locks and security for more than just vehicles. It was very confidential and secure when I ordered my new key. I can't imagine anybody stealing wheels off a car with wheel locks, especially the ones I have. You would really need the key.

Last edited by robocam; 04-14-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:31 AM
08 TL type-S

removing wheel locks

Well, man, I just had a blowout from a pothole the other day, and I did not have my wheel lock key! It was at my house, so I had to be towed to a closer location to my home and then my wife brought the key and I changed the spare on to my car.
The tow driver (who do all the tows for AAA here in my city) said he can't believe the number of people that strip the wheel locks or don't have them and can't get the wheel off when he shows up to tow their cars. He said people also strip the wheel lock very easily. He said you have to put it on with your hand and fit it, so you don't strip it. lHe told me he does not know if it is worth it , maybe just take your wheel locks off!
Where we live it is unlikely to get the wheels stolen off my car (although they are A spec 18" wheels), I still wonder about that.

I will take a look at the video you put here about removing the wheel lock. I don't know if the thieves would have that much time, again it depends where you live. I don't hear much of people stealing wheels where I live except 23" 24" wheels, this is what the tow driver said.

I looked at the site you displayed here. It does not look like those bolt extractors will take off my wheel lock. The key fits inside the bolt to a certain pattern, it does not go around the lug nut on the outside, the key fits in on the key inside and seems this bolt extractor would do no good trying open my wheel locks.

Last edited by StealthTL-S; 04-15-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Pro

You're making me worried about people stripping out my lugs and locks =)

Here's a video of someone removing a wheel lock.

The bolt extractor is reverse threaded, so it just grabs or threads onto the outside of the lock. Unless your lock has a freely spinning outer shell, this will probably take it off easily.

Here's another way they can make a key for your lock, but I'm thinking (or hoping) most thieves don't have a kit like this. You basically hammer this thing onto the lock, and you have a key. I wonder if you can do the same thing by squirting 1 minute epoxy into a socket.

Source of the above photo.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh....php?p=2494338

Originally Posted by StealthTL-S
Well, man, I just had a blowout from a pothole the other day, and I did not have my wheel lock key! It was at my house, so I had to be towed to a closer location to my home and then my wife brought the key and I changed the spare on to my car.
The tow driver (who do all the tows for AAA here in my city) said he can't believe the number of people that strip the wheel locks or don't have them and can't get the wheel off when he shows up to tow their cars. He said people also strip the wheel lock very easily. He said you have to put it on with your hand and fit it, so you don't strip it. lHe told me he does not know if it is worth it , maybe just take your wheel locks off!
Where we live it is unlikely to get the wheels stolen off my car (although they are A spec 18" wheels), I still wonder about that.

I will take a look at the video you put here about removing the wheel lock. I don't know if the thieves would have that much time, again it depends where you live. I don't hear much of people stealing wheels where I live except 23" 24" wheels, this is what the tow driver said.

I looked at the site you displayed here. It does not look like those bolt extractors will take off my wheel lock. The key fits inside the bolt to a certain pattern, it does not go around the lug nut on the outside, the key fits in on the key inside and seems this bolt extractor would do no good trying open my wheel locks.

Last edited by robocam; 04-15-2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
YOu can just get a this and smash in onto the lug. Seen it done in the auto shop

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/hanson-h...235594214.html
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I have gorilla wheel locks on my car and I highly recommend them. To the OP, gorilla does sell sets that will go on every lug on the car. It's a 20 piece set with one key. I have this on my car and if I remember correctly they ran me about $75 for the set at the time of purchase which to me was a steal. Never had a problem with them.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:56 AM
08 TL type-S

Originally Posted by robocam
You're making me worried about people stripping out my lugs and locks =)

Here's a video of someone removing a wheel lock.

How To Remove McGard Wheel Locks Without A Key - YouTube

The bolt extractor is reverse threaded, so it just grabs or threads onto the outside of the lock. Unless your lock has a freely spinning outer shell, this will probably take it off easily.

Here's another way they can make a key for your lock, but I'm thinking (or hoping) most thieves don't have a kit like this. You basically hammer this thing onto the lock, and you have a key. I wonder if you can do the same thing by squirting 1 minute epoxy into a socket.

Source of the above photo.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh....php?p=2494338
This is very disappointing! I guess I could just take my wheel locks off, like the tow driver suggested. If scumbags are going to steel your wheels I guess they can do it with locks or not.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 PM
All Around Klown

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I use to really recommend Gorilla. But some time in the last few years, they have changed their design. If you look at an old set of gorilla locks, you will notice that the key spacings are NOT equal distance. They use to stagger the ribs on the locks but now there are literally only 6 or 7 different keys for all Gorilla locks produced.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
if you want to be super safe, get rimlox keys. I've found that to be the most secure, plus it has a warranty if your rims to get stolen
The following 2 users liked this post by paperboy42190:
robocam (04-22-2014), StealthTL-S (04-18-2014)