Anyone with firsthand experience: Stock TL-S suspension vs HTSpec V2 Type 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with firsthand experience: Stock TL-S suspension vs HTSpec V2 Type 1

I'm looking forward to seeing the pricing that Marcus will be putting together on this next sale, and am trying to decide between a Type 1 or Type 2 setup. I know that I could dial in the Type 2 setup to my liking, and have read plenty of good reviews on them.

My main drawback to the Type 2 is the disassembly work required to adjust the damping. If the Type 1 is dialed in well enough out of the box, I would prefer to go that route. I have an 08 Type S now, and am familiar with the stock suspension. Can anyone comment on the ride differences between the HTSpec Type 1 and the TL-S suspension?

Info that may be useful:
  • I could go a bit firmer or softer than stock, but wouldn't want much difference in either direction.
  • I'm running stock TL-S wheels, and will upgrade to aftermarket when the tires wear down. 18's or 19's - still undecided
  • I like the idea of coilovers so I can adjust ride height as needed by the next set of wheels. I'm not looking for a big difference in suspension feel.
  • Its unlikely that I will ever go lower than a 2" drop, and probably more in line with 1.5"
  • I don't have a pressing need for the suspension now, but you have to start somewhere. I would want the drop by the time I got new wheels.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
If you are dead set on 1.5" drop then I would say springs will keep you stockish with a mild drop.

That being said I regret getting springs. I want to go lower now.

The type 1's would probably give you what you are looking for and save you a few dollars over other coil-overs. It would not be a bad purchase and I am sure others will say to get teins or BC's.

There are many options for our cars right now, and they all seem pretty good. Personal preference will play alot.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
I have experienced it first hand and let me tell you they are shit!....(back breaking stiff) no matter the height...I would not buy that brand no matter what sale they have going on..there is 100x better out there.

tein,bc racing ,isc n1

By the way I'd you want something close to stock ride,dampening adjustment is a must and is really not that much of a headache to adjust...typically once you dial it in you will never touch it again..I have never touched mines since say 1.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to get some feedback on the Type 1. I was afraid the one size fits all might be too stiff. I was originally planning on getting the Tein SS Advance set, but wanted some input on the Type 1 first. I'll do some research on the ISC before making my decision. I saw they went on sale too.