Another new tires thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 09:04 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another new tires thread

Short story: badly done alignment ate my Michelin Sport A/S Plus tires in 20k miles.

Long story: I got the the car (07 TL-S) CPO with some horrid Sunny tires that could not balance no matter how much weights were placed on the rims. Decided to get new tires and put Michelin Sport A/S Plus's and got an alignment done since the car was pulling to the right very slightly when I got it. I got the alignment at an Acura dealer and car kept pulling to the right. Service advisor said that it could happen with a directional tire bla bla so I assumed everything is ok. Took the tires to be rotated ever 5-6k miles. The last time I went the people said the fronts are gone and showed me how the inner edges are super close to the steel belts. Idiot guy from the shop kept arguing with me how the TL has to have adjustable camber (it is on stock ride height with nothing done to the suspension) in the front so I tuned him out to whatever he said after. The guys actually rotating the tires also insisted it was camber wear... I called Marcus from Heel Toe and he said that it's most likely the toe angle that is off. I went to a shop he recommended and that is what it turned out to be. So right now I need and alignment and tires.

The alignment I am not worried about but I can't pick tires. I need the stock 235/45 17s. The service advisor at the dealer said that those A/S Plus's have issues with shoulder wear, can anyone confirm that? The shop I went to get the alignment checked out is recommending Nitto 555s. Or should I get the ones that were on the car originally (Michelin MXM4)?The car is mainly driven in SoCal so it will most likely never see snow, but I still want all season tires. My priorities are as follows: 1.Comfort 2. Wear 3. Performance. Any recommendations? I am open to any price, but as always cheaper would be better. If you can please speak of personal experiences. And if you guys know a place I can get cheap tires in the OC and surrounding areas that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
MrHeeltoe (09-25-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 445 Posts
Go search the forums and you will find other comments about shoulder wear on the A/S+. Mine are evenly worn on both edges. I now pay attention to any car I see with these tires and notice most are worn in a similar manner no matter the make of the car.

As for alternatives? Same response as before. Search the forum and there are plenty of tire threads asking the exact same question as you.

If you purchased your car CPO with crappy tires on there, you need to have a fit with the dealer. CPO should have come with the OE tires and should have been aligned properly. The dealer should be making good on this issue.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I have been super mega happy with my Hankook K110 V12 evos.

I am not seeing a major reason for any tire to wear other than the alignment being off. That a huge variable that a lot of people will brush aside over and over again, even shops, and it is very critical to getting even wear.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:08 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
I have the same Pilot Sport A/S in 18's and am very happy with them.

the Hankook v12's are also a great tire. I've heard nothing but good things.

Try Firestone for alignment. Always go somewhere that specializes in Alignments & tires as they will likely have the best/most precise machinery to do the job. Plus firestone has a lifetime alignment deal for between $169-189 from what I've heard.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 445 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I am not seeing a major reason for any tire to wear other than the alignment being off. That a huge variable that a lot of people will brush aside over and over again, even shops, and it is very critical to getting even wear.
My alignment was checked by the dealer twice since having these tires and it was spot-on. I would "assume" alignment issues wouldn't cause perfectly even wear on both edges of the tires on all four tires. The edge wear is almost like the tire is under-inflated, but they were kept at 35/32 per spec the entire life of the tire.

If you find the Costco thread on this topic you will see I didn't believe the original poster either that it wasn't alignment until I went outside and checked mine and saw the exact same thing.