Alloy Wheel Repair (vent)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Alloy Wheel Repair (vent)

Forgive me for venting.

I had the tires replaced on my 18" 2004 gunmetal wheels by the dealer. In the process of doing so, the dealer scratched up every single wheel. They 'fessed up to it (initially telling me only one was scratched) and agreed to pay for the repair by the local Alloy Wheel Repair franchisee.

AWR has done excellent work 3 times previously on the wheels (curb rash until I put on wider tires on) so I had no issues.

1. First time, the guy came out (not the owner who usually comes but one of his guys) he worked on one wheel and realized he did not have the right paint. He told me about it and said he'd rather re-schedule rather than give me a bad match. I appreciated him being so forthcoming and agreed to his recommendation.

2. Second time owner cancels the appt since he got sick (can't be helped)

3. Third appointment cancelled by me

4. Owner comes out and does the wheels. A couple of days later (when I take out of garage) I notice the whhels don't match - 2 on passenger side are lighter (more battleship grey than gunmetal) than driver's side. Call AWR, they come look at it agree, and we make appointment to fix.

5. AWR cancels appointment due to something coming up

6. AWR comes and fixes wheels. We agree on what needs to be done. Once done, tells me all wheels match great and, stupid me - I don't check. So much for trusting attitude.

7. Take my car out yesterday for the first time and the wheels all match - but now all look more grey than gunmetal

The wheels used to have more of a sparkle to them, kind of like a silver undertone which now is grey. WTF! I checked board pictures and indeed, the sparkle is there.

I called AWR and left a message. I know the guy will be pissed but WTF - fix it right. If he does not call back I'm going back to the dealer (remember this all started when they scratched up my wheels) and deal through them. Don't want to get the dealer involved but I just want my wheels to look right - after all, I did spend $1200 on them.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
bottom line, no repair will ever be exactly like the original, so maybe you shouldn't have accpted Acura's offer. and maybe the repair place just isn't capable of doign the job you require. Honestly, it looks like they have kinda stepped out a little to match the wheels, but at least you have learned a lesson, and your wheels are truly unique! sorry i had to add that in, lol.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:05 AM
Racer

Update

I called the dealer and had them order a new 04 wheel. Alloy Wheel picked it up and will come to the house to redo all 4 wheels to match toi the original color. We'll see, keep you posted.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:19 AM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I've had two of my wheels repaired and repainted. They definitely are more battleship grey than the original color that the 2004 18" A-spec rims had, which had a tint of brown.

The originals also had more of a sheen where as the new ones have more sparkle and less "sheen." I assume this is due to the clearcoat.

I can tell because I know what I'm looking for, but the general public probably won't even notice. Unfortunately the only way to get around this is to get all four wheels painted the same color.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 AM
Racer

Update 6-13

UPDATE:

AWR came to the house and after 4 hours could not match the wheels to the sample wheel (brand new 04 wheel). To their credit, my rep took them with him and he is sending them out to get all powdercoated at a place in Detroit that does factoy repairs. He will pay for this. He claims that when I get them, they will be like brand new. I have to give it to him for going the extra mile. I will post results after I get them back.