All-Season Tires - Pirelli vs. Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-Season Tires - Pirelli vs. Toyo

Hi everyone!

My first post here though I've been lurking for quite a while now.

After 35k miles on the wife's '06 TL, the stock Michelins are completely bald so I need to get new tires, especially considering the bad weather will be coming soon to Chicago.

First of all, I'm looking at all-season tires as I'm not a big fan of changing tires twice a year.
Seeing how I've only read/heard horrible things about the stock Michelins, and they're really expensive too, I did a little research to try and find a good alternative.

So far I'm stuck between the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S and the Toyo Versado LX. Both seem to be good quality tires at an acceptable price. Since the Versado is a newer model (I think) I wasn't able to find as many reviews for it as for the Pirelli.

What do you guys think? If you have other suggestions I'd be more than interested in hearing them as well. Basically I'm looking for a good quality all-season tire that will provide good traction/handling in Chicago weather, while not ruining dry performance. Not breaking the bank would be nice too.

PS: It's great to finally join!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
i am on my second pirelli set and i have been really happy.

dry weather they are great, but not the best in heavy rain. not bad, but i hear there are better in this condition. i had them on for one winter and they did pretty good, but i have 18" rims/tires and they did not work so well in the really deep stuff. this year i am switching to snow tires once it gets bad out. but for most of the season they are great.

the one thing i really liked about them is their long life and low road noise. i got about 40k out of mine and they never got too much louder than the new set i have on now.

there are better all seasons in certain weather conditions, but overall i think these are still one of the best.

good luck!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for your insight.

Did anyone have any experience with Toyo tires?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta consider this tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=2
Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
^^^^^ x2.

Great tires overall. Very good in rain. Good on snow. I've been very happy with these tires.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Fresher the Better

Given the too choices, and considering you live in Chicago, then the answer is simple:

Toyo.

Primary reason: Superior winter traction
Secondary: Quiet, comfortable ride

You give up: Wet & Dry handling

But you'll need the snow traction.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bbmd
Hi everyone!

My first post here though I've been lurking for quite a while now.

After 35k miles on the wife's '06 TL, the stock Michelins are completely bald so I need to get new tires, especially considering the bad weather will be coming soon to Chicago.

First of all, I'm looking at all-season tires as I'm not a big fan of changing tires twice a year.
Seeing how I've only read/heard horrible things about the stock Michelins, and they're really expensive too, I did a little research to try and find a good alternative.

So far I'm stuck between the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S and the Toyo Versado LX. Both seem to be good quality tires at an acceptable price. Since the Versado is a newer model (I think) I wasn't able to find as many reviews for it as for the Pirelli.

What do you guys think? If you have other suggestions I'd be more than interested in hearing them as well. Basically I'm looking for a good quality all-season tire that will provide good traction/handling in Chicago weather, while not ruining dry performance. Not breaking the bank would be nice too.

PS: It's great to finally join!
What did u get? and how have they worked out.... I had the Toyo tires on my 01 TL and I thought they were great tires... I didn't get the chance to really see how well they performed in the snow, but dry and wet they performed great. I'm thinking about getting them for my TL S-type 07.