Acura / Bridgestone Potenza RE030 SUCK

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Acura / Bridgestone Potenza RE030 SUCK

I can not believe that Acura still uses Bridgestone as original equipment after all the negative issues they have had. This is the WORST tire I have ever driven on.
Never mind the 140 treadware rating, it's the wet traction that is really bad. Unless you start up extremely slow the tire is going to spin. It's ironic that in the U.S., Acura makes this an optional tire but in Canada if you oft for the 6 speed this was the only tire you could get on an 06. It seems that in Canada the 07 Type S with the 6 speed doesn't offer the Bridgestone any longer so maybe Acura has learned. But those of us who have the 06 are screwed. Acura is not willing to do anything, the dealer has agreed to install new tires at cost but my regular tire guy has quoted me less than the dealers cost. I would recommend that if you are picking up an 06 with a 6 speed insist the tires be changed before you sign the deal. Can someone make a recommdation for new tires. I am currently looking at the Michelin Sport A/S. Can I go up to a 245 instead of the 235 without any issues.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Almost EVERY tire will spin in wet conditions under extreme acceleration. I had the RE030's and other than the crappy wear (wore out @ 22K miles), they did VERY WELL in wet conditions. They DO flat spot in cold weather though.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The HPT option is the worst part of getting a 6MT. I finally got rid of the RE030s after 33K miles. The car never seemed aligned - despite multiple alignment jobs. The techs always cited 'radial pull', or something else.

Installed 255/40/17 Toyo Proxes 4. No regrets. They look great. They're quiet. No more alignment issues. Very reasonably priced.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

I expect the tires to spin under extreme acceleration, what I said was they spin under extremely slow acceration. Anyway they are replaced with the Michelin Pilot AS and I cannot beleive the difference. They track better, are quieter, have a wear rating of 400, and have far superior traction in the wet. I just wish I had known prior to buying the car.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

I have this problem too, but since I got my car used I think the tire is just warn out. Do those Michlin Pilot AS fit on the stock 17in wheels? How much did they cost you?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by nsps
I expect the tires to spin under extreme acceleration, what I said was they spin under extremely slow acceration. Anyway they are replaced with the Michelin Pilot AS and I cannot beleive the difference. They track better, are quieter, have a wear rating of 400, and have far superior traction in the wet. I just wish I had known prior to buying the car.
The funny part, was the last snow storm we got. I could not get my TL up my inclined driveway until after I shoveled the snow. (TL was wearing stock A/S tires).

However, my rwd G35 coupe, which was wearing Pilot Sport A/S, made it up my driveway just fine. (Required a little finesse of the gas, but the TL was just spinning/sliding everywhere... Almost took out all my decor lighting)

Anyways, I'm taking off those crap tires from the TL and either replacing them with ContiExtremeContact or Potenza RE060AS. I'd get Pilot Sport A/S, but they are expensive and the treadwear kinda sucks, but I guess it may be becuase I can't rotate the tires on my G35. The RE0960AS Pole Positions have a 40,000 mile warranty. However, the wife loved the snow traction the contis had in my other car, as I've never gotten stuck in anything with them (knocking on wood) They seemed to be getting decent mileage, as I've put 30k miles on them on my other car, and they still look to be able to last anothe 10k or so.

I was leaning towards the RE960AS, becuase the Contis seemed a little mushy in the corners, but then again, in the size I have on my other car, they are V-rated, instead of Z-rated like the yokos that used to be on that car.

Out of curiosity, are the RE030 tires summer only? Just curious... Because what was the temps when you were spinning in the wet? Because according to Tire-rack, "summer" means average daily temps > 60 F and average nightly temps > 50 F. I say that, because my G35 Coupe came with Pilot Sport Summer Tires... They had great wet traction when warm out, but when I took in 45 degree weather, with damp roads, they were like ice-cubes when accelerating... Even feathering the gas, I found myself fishtailing. That's when I bought the Pilot Sport All/Season. (Was going to get Pirelli PZero Nero M+S, but they were backordered at the time)
Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

To answer the last two responses, yes they fit on the stock 17's (235 45 ZR17) and they were about $1250 including all taxes, but thats Cdn.
I'm not far north of you, temperatures have been in the mid 30s to 50. Yes, they are a summer tire. It makes no sense that Acura would put these tires (as standard equipment) on a car knowing it is sold in Canada. In southern Cal they may be great. The pilots amazed me again last night, during some high RPM shifting there was no evidence of torque steer. With the Bridgestones and the same type of shifts the car would be jerking all over the road. It was so bad, I hated driving the car, and even looked into the penalties to get out of the lease.