3G TL Tire Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
3G TL Tire Advice?

When I bought my 2008 Acura TL, I almost immediately bought a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus 2 tires for it, knowing the importance of good tires when it comes to handling and braking.
According to Pirelli, these tires are rated for 70,000 miles.
Granted, I drove the car pretty hard, but the tires are now ready for replacement after about 1.5 years and under 15,000 miles. (I have records that show the tires were installed at 122,826 miles, and the car now has around 135,000 miles)

I really can't afford to spend $1,000 on another set of Pirelli tires if they're only going to last me 15k miles.
Can anyone recommend a tire that I can expect to last longer without it having a significant negative impact on the handling/braking of my car?

Also, one Discount Tire employee told me that Pirelli would give me a significant discount on my next set of Pirelli tires due to my current set not lasting anywhere near the 70,000 mile warranty, but then another employee told me that Pirelli would not honor the discount because "my alignment is off and it is causing uneven wear". I'm clearly not an expert, but I don't really think my alignment is off and I think he's exaggerating a minor or even non-existent problem to squeeze me for every cent. If anyone has advice for navigating that situation and getting my discount on another set of Pirelli tires, I'm open to that, too.

Last edited by dhmolson; 09-15-2023 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2023, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Well one easy way would be to get an alignment and see if it truly is off
Old 09-16-2023, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 599 Likes on 447 Posts
1.) Very few tires actually make it to the warranty
2.) Yes, if no odd wear, you should get pro-rated pricing for replacements from Pirelli
3.) Why do you think they are done at 15k miles?
-- are they down to the tread wear indicators?
-- are they worn only on the shoulders?
4.) Have you been rotating them regularly?
-- at this point they should have been rotated a minimum of once, but recommended to have been 3 times by now
5.) Have you gotten your alignment checked since you got them?

As for can anyone recommend a tire that can last longer? Yes, the Pirellis you have should have lasted longer. A name brand AS tire that is done in 15k miles usually means something is wrong with the vehicle. I had one set of tires on my TL that lasted less than 25k miles and those were the original Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ that had known issues with the tread disintegrating. Everything else I had on my car lasted over 40k miles easily. This forum is already plenty full of tire recommendations if you are looking for a different brand and model.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Well one easy way would be to get an alignment and see if it truly is off
Logic and common sense?!

Please leave.
Old 09-18-2023, 04:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
OP...how are you determining your tires are in need of replacement?

Do you have photos showing how they wore out?

Did all 4 wear out? Just 2? Only 1?

Did you maintain them properly?

Why does Pirelli think your alignment is off?
Old 09-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
Logic and common sense?!

Please leave.
okay
Old 09-22-2023, 07:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BROlando
OP...how are you determining your tires are in need of replacement?

Do you have photos showing how they wore out?

Did all 4 wear out? Just 2? Only 1?

Did you maintain them properly?

Why does Pirelli think your alignment is off?
I took the car by Discount Tire to have the tires rotated. They told me it wouldn't make sense to rotate them because they were close enough to the end of their life that the tires with the most tread should be in the rear (which they are). When Discount Tire told me the measurements, they were like all like 4/32 or 5/32. So not dangerously low, but about time to plan a replacement. After I took the car home, I measured the tires myself and got the following measurements (3 measurements across the width of each tire):

Left Front: 5/32, 4/32, 4/32
Right Front: 5/32, 6/32, 6/32
Left Rear: 6/32, 7/32, 7/32
Right Rear: 6/32, 6/32, 5/32

I bought the tires through Discount Tire. Turns out, somehow they only have the invoice saved in their system for one tire, not all four. No idea how that happened, but I don't see Discount Tire OR Pirelli honoring any kind of pro-rated warranty discount on a whole new set of tires unless I find the invoice for all four. It seemed to me that they just wanted to use the alignment as a bullshit excuse to void the warranty and sell me a new set of tires at regular price, but I'm open to second opinions.

So I am looking for a new brand of tire to try, because I am not prepared to buy another set of 'nice' Pirellis right now. I looked around on here as best I could, and saw some good things about these tires. Anybody got thoughts on these? General G-Max AS05. Hoping they will perform well enough that I won't tell much of a difference while also being a little more wallet-friendly.
Old 09-27-2023, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The general tires you brought up have been mentioned in other threads. People seem to like them.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:02 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmolson
I looked around on here as best I could, and saw some good things about these tires. Anybody got thoughts on these? General G-Max AS05. Hoping they will perform well enough that I won't tell much of a difference while also being a little more wallet-friendly.
Best bang for the buck!

General G-Max AS05's will be fine. They're amongst the top rated Ulta High Performance All Season Tyiz in Consumer Reports.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,230 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by dhmolson

So I am looking for a new brand of tire to try, because I am not prepared to buy another set of 'nice' Pirellis right now. I looked around on here as best I could, and saw some good things about these tires. Anybody got thoughts on these? General G-Max AS05. Hoping they will perform well enough that I won't tell much of a difference while also being a little more wallet-friendly.
They perform very well even regardless of the price, I've comparing to the OEM TL42's and Avons I've replaced those with.

Originally Posted by The_head
The general tires you brought up have been mentioned in other threads. People seem to like them.

Originally Posted by DMZ
Best bang for the buck!

General G-Max AS05's will be fine. They're amongst the top rated Ulta High Performance All Season Tyiz in Consumer Reports.
+1 This are among the best bang for buck tires for the 3G TL. I'm on my 2nd set, very pleased with them.