3G tire recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
3G tire recommendation

My 07 has 240,000 miles and I am not sure if she will make another year or two. I put on about 25,000 miles per year and I am looking for a cheaper tire alternative to the Michelins. Most of my driving is highway.
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
It would help to know what your expectations and requirements are...and what type of weather you drive in.

Speaking broadly, Continental seems to be a brand that shadows Michelin at a lower price. A lot of the time, I feel that Conti actually comes out with a very good overall product as well.

For example, Conti makes a "Purecontact" that shadows the Michelin Primacy. Its not quite as quiet or smooth as the Michelin. But the traction in bad weather is improved over the Michelin...as well as life span.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry.....not very detailed I know. I am at a point where I am not sure I want to toss a ton of $ into this car. I have been able to do all of the repairs myself but I have a oil pump leak (very minor thus no repair) and a couple of other semi minor issues. I don't want to sink $1000 for tires that will never see the end in a few years. I live in NE but as I said, looking for an alternative to the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 AS that came on it. The Michelins are good general tires, but I think that they are pretty bad in snow I don't need hyper quiet or summer tires....just something that will be a decent performer for a reasonable cost.

Last edited by quantum7; 04-12-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Check out the Conti PureContact then. Better snow traction than the Michelin hands down. Also better lifespan hands down. I think for TL sizing, they come out just under $600 installed.

Discount tire usually has $100-160 off sales that coincide with travel holidays. I bet they'll do one around memorial day.

Tire rack also has pediodic sales.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
Check out the Conti PureContact then. Better snow traction than the Michelin hands down. Also better lifespan hands down. I think for TL sizing, they come out just under $600 installed.

Discount tire usually has $100-160 off sales that coincide with travel holidays. I bet they'll do one around memorial day.

Tire rack also has pediodic sales.
thanks....appreciate the insight.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Check out the Conti PureContact then. Better snow traction than the Michelin hands down. ... . I think for TL sizing, they come out just under $600 installed.
Current pricing on TireRack, the costs are within $100 of each other total comparing the PureContact to the MXM4.

Also better lifespan hands down
Better lifespan? It isn't like the MXM4 have lifespan issues for the most part. I am over 50k on mine with more to come.

Originally Posted by quantum7
Sorry.....not very detailed I know. I am at a point where I am not sure I want to toss a ton of $ into this car. I have been able to do all of the repairs myself but I have a oil pump leak (very minor thus no repair) and a couple of other semi minor issues. I don't want to sink $1000 for tires that will never see the end in a few years. I live in NE but as I said, looking for an alternative to the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4 AS that came on it. The Michelins are good general tires, but I think that they are pretty bad in snow I don't need hyper quiet or summer tires....just something that will be a decent performer for a reasonable cost.
I would say the DWS are possibly an even better choice than the PureContact considering they cost even less.

There are gobs and gobs of other choices out there that are below the $150 per tire mark to look through. Several are even sub-$100, however many of those will probably have greater trade-offs in some type of performance be it wear, noise, or wet traction.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
I second this^^, I will be buying a new set of tires at the end of this summer and will be getting the Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Tire
quantum7 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:58 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks....I typically get 60 - 70 k on the Michelins, but they are not good in snow. (I am a teacher in CT so they cancel school if they see a snowflake, so not really a big issue). The Michelin (high temps) run around $225 each....then after the balance, align, install usually around $1000. I know that I can do much better with Pirelli Cinturato P7 and some others installed.....just looking to save a few bucks.

On my next car, I am doing summer tires, and snow tires. I do all of my own work anyway, so having a second set just makes sense.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 PM
Drifting

On my next car, I am doing summer tires, and snow tires. I do all of my own work anyway, so having a second set just makes sense.
I finally broke down this year and bought a 2nd set of used rims for winter tires. I bought a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires and were impressed with them...at least I was for the very little amount of snow/ice we actually got this year. Go figure, the year I finally buy dedicated tires, we don't any snow...the wife was not amused with my spending....but even in the super cold temps, my car handled the same as it does in the summer (keep in mind my summer tires are MXM4).

thanks....I typically get 60 - 70 k on the Michelins, but they are not good in snow. (I am a teacher in CT so they cancel school if they see a snowflake, so not really a big issue). The Michelin (high temps) run around $225 each....then after the balance, align, install usually around $1000. I know that I can do much better with Pirelli Cinturato P7 and some others installed.....just looking to save a few bucks.
I completely agree about the MXM4 in the snow...they aren't too bad when new, but are mostly useless once down to 50-60%. I work from home and my wife is a teacher so having one car with less than spectacular snow/ice performance is not an issue for us either.

I have attached a screenshot of the spreadsheet I have been using to track my options (all data is from TireRack). Although the Cinturato seems to be highly rated, it tested horribly in the wet performance...I mean horribly. I have been searching for a cheaper option than the MXM4, but refuse to give up anything on dry and wet performance. The DWS is about the only one that tops it in just about every single category and is cheaper.

You can clearly see that when you baseline against the MXM4, there are generally always better performers. But when you baseline against the DWS, very few beat it across the board. I was even trying to talk myself into the Firehawk AS or the G-MAX AS-03 based on the price point, but just don't think I am willing to compromise enough for them. The Firehawk has weak wet performance while the G-MAX has ride and noise complaints.

quantum7 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Love my DWS06! But I doubt you'll get 60K out of them. Great in snow, but nothing beats a dedicated snow tire.
quantum7 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 AM
BANNED

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Continental DWS extreme contact I bought 4 for $500 installed myself.
quantum7 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 06:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jackass
I finally broke down this year and bought a 2nd set of used rims for winter tires. I bought a set of Pirelli Sottozero 3 winter tires and were impressed with them...at least I was for the very little amount of snow/ice we actually got this year. Go figure, the year I finally buy dedicated tires, we don't any snow...the wife was not amused with my spending....but even in the super cold temps, my car handled the same as it does in the summer (keep in mind my summer tires are MXM4).

I completely agree about the MXM4 in the snow...they aren't too bad when new, but are mostly useless once down to 50-60%. I work from home and my wife is a teacher so having one car with less than spectacular snow/ice performance is not an issue for us either.

I have attached a screenshot of the spreadsheet I have been using to track my options (all data is from TireRack). Although the Cinturato seems to be highly rated, it tested horribly in the wet performance...I mean horribly. I have been searching for a cheaper option than the MXM4, but refuse to give up anything on dry and wet performance. The DWS is about the only one that tops it in just about every single category and is cheaper.

You can clearly see that when you baseline against the MXM4, there are generally always better performers. But when you baseline against the DWS, very few beat it across the board. I was even trying to talk myself into the Firehawk AS or the G-MAX AS-03 based on the price point, but just don't think I am willing to compromise enough for them. The Firehawk has weak wet performance while the G-MAX has ride and noise complaints.

very impressive.....I love the online ratings charts and this is the way to do it...I just suck at Excel. Thanks
Am I reading this correctly....looks like the Pirelli P Zero AS+ is even better and almost same cost. On Tire Rack they said that the Pirelli was not good in snow, but you data shows it is better the DWS. Anyway, thanks for pulling all of the data into one place.

Last edited by quantum7; 04-13-2017 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Correct, the snow ratings for the P Zero are better than the DWS, but the Ice ratings (not shown) are horrible. The stopping distance on Ice is 35% longer than the DWS and 32% longer than the MXM4. So for your use case, the P Zero isn't a bad choice since you said winter performance wasn't key to your needs. Please note...all of my data is directly off of TireRack comparison tests.

This spreadsheet started during my journey to identify the correct winter tires for me. Since KC winters are probably 90%+ just cold dry/wet roads vs snow/ice, I didn't want to compromise my dry/wet performance. This is how I ended up with the Sottozero 3 instead of Blizzaks. The Sottozero 3 just barely beats out the MXM4 in dry/wet performance, and provides quite a nice boost to the snow/ice performance. I for sure gave up some overall snow/ice traction by going with the Sottozero, but again...I work from home and my wife is also a teacher...we really don't have to leave the house if it really is that bad out.

And by the way, this is Google Sheets...not Excel. Not a huge difference for basic tasks, but there is nothing fancy in here other than the coloring. Just enter your data and look at it. The filters make it easy to compare specific tires.

Last edited by Jackass; 04-13-2017 at 08:05 AM.
quantum7 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:58 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Don't overlook the BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S's. I swear by them! After having Michelin and Conti DWS's, these tires are tops!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sumitoto HRT A/S P02. Cheep and decent. $71.25 ea at Tire Rack.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 TE37 rims and 07 Base model with Navi. What would be the best brand of tires should I use for those rims? I'm gonna run 215/35/19 front and 225/35/19 rear.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pride96
I have 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 TE37 rims and 07 Base model with Navi. What would be the best brand of tires should I use for those rims? I'm gonna run 215/35/19 front and 225/35/19 rear.
Read the thread...the answer is within. Otherwise read the hundreds of other threads.

Otherwise, just find the most expensive tire out there and buy it. It must be the best.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:02 AM
Fluvial Geomorphologist

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 Plus are great UHP all-season tires. They feel just as planted in the rain as on dry pavement. The price is competitive with the Continentals, etc. I have them and absolutely love them.

They're also one of very few that come with a treadwear warranty.

Last edited by *.jpg; 04-20-2017 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

thanks for the input everyone. I picked up the Continentals and they have been great in the limited miles that I have driven. They have to be better in snow than the Michelins and they were significantly less expensive.
The car is at 241,000 miles, so I guess that I am keeping her for a couple of more years.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent choice at that price point. The tires are relatively quiet and handle very well. They even navigate New England winters with little issue.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the input everyone. I picked up the Continentals and they have been great in the limited miles that I have driven. They have to be better in snow than the Michelins and they were significantly less expensive.
The car is at 241,000 miles, so I guess that I am keeping her for a couple of more years.
So after almost a year of use, assuming you still have the car, what are your impressions? I think you made a great choice for your driving conditions.

We went from stock to Conti DW to Michelin PSS. Being In So Cal, we didn't necessarily need an all season tires and opted to try something more sporty. The DW were nice, but not quiet after 10K miles. PSS are nice for handling and remain pretty quiet, but don't last that long. One tire has excessive wear on the inside edge after 25K miles. OK, I guess, but definitely not long lasting. These are just my impressions for someone to reference and not to sway anyone's opinion.

Next tires up for consideration are Michelin PS A/S 3+. I'm wondering if these tires can really get 45K miles. Thanks for sharing and enjoy in good health.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpken

So after almost a year of use, assuming you still have the car, what are your impressions? I think you made a great choice for your driving conditions.

We went from stock to Conti DW to Michelin PSS. Being In So Cal, we didn't necessarily need an all season tires and opted to try something more sporty. The DW were nice, but not quiet after 10K miles. PSS are nice for handling and remain pretty quiet, but don't last that long. One tire has excessive wear on the inside edge after 25K miles. OK, I guess, but definitely not long lasting. These are just my impressions for someone to reference and not to sway anyone's opinion.

Next tires up for consideration are Michelin PS A/S 3+. I'm wondering if these tires can really get 45K miles. Thanks for sharing and enjoy in good health.
My car now has 260,500 miles, so after about 20k I can say that I like these better than the Michelins. They are great in wet conditions, and the snow performance seemed better (did not have to drive in too much snow this year). Road noise was not noticeably different, although I am on highway most of my driving and listening to audiobooks, so don't really notice. They are wearing very nicely....still very good tread. Happy that I switched over for what I drive in. Good savings with the money too.