Are 20s too big?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:34 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are 20s too big?

Hey quick question you guys, I can get 20s on TL for basically free, my question though, are they too big, as in they will effect the performance? i.e., turning etc?
thanks!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Advanced

I felt that it slowed me down slightly...like 0-60......but i think that turning is better bc of a wider bigger wheel....my
Old 08-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Advanced

I felt that it slowed me down slightly...like 0-60......but i think that turning is better bc of a wider bigger wheel.... my
Old 08-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look around and you'll see a majority of the guys on 20's so I doubt it's too big
Old 08-01-2006, 12:36 PM
Burning Brakes

To me the only people I see on 20's are ghetto, but to each his own. I can respect as long as you ain't getting spinners or something.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hitec, exactly... that's why their are flavors... everyone has their own taste....

I think 20's are a perfect size for the TL...
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGreek
I felt that it slowed me down slightly...like 0-60......but i think that turning is better bc of a wider bigger wheel....my
I agree.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:04 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess all the guys that put 20's on their rides on this forum are ghetto..interesting..Iforged and Work are some serious ghetto rims..
Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL Platano
So I guess all the guys that put 20's on their rides on this forum are ghetto..interesting..Iforged and Work are some serious ghetto rims..
Yea cause that's exactly what I said. Right?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
CL Platano... a person can't really respond to comments like that.... right

I guess am as ghetto as they come... I'm from the Bronx and I have 20's on my TL
Old 08-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
20's aren't too big...lots of people have them. As for slowing you down, they don't have to...they will if they are heavier than your stock wheels, but otherwise, they won't make a difference.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CL Platano

lol for real plat...Hre's are seriously ghetto..lol..

20's will look great once its done right. I mean the right drop and the right offset. Just search the board and u will see myself, k-shawn, invincible and many others are running 20s and we all love it.

Travis
Old 08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
haha, plat as you have seen, i am one of the ghettoest cats on this forum. i think its the glasses.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by HiTEC
To me the only people I see on 20's are ghetto, but to each his own. I can respect as long as you ain't getting spinners or something.
Which your f!@? mouth.....that statement is very ignorant. I'm 34yr old professional and I have 20's on my TL, that makes me and the other members ghetto. Dude....stick with the stock look, it will suit you better. I'll bet you that your favorite position is missionary....boring motherf!@?.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
20" is fine, the 45 offset helps a ton, but 30 series tires can be a bitch, most end up with 35 series, which in turn make the wheels look like 19".
Old 08-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K-Shawn
Which your f!@? mouth.....that statement is very ignorant. I'm 34yr old professional and I have 20's on my TL, that makes me and the other members ghetto. Dude....stick with the stock look, it will suit you better. I'll bet you that your favorite position is missionary....boring motherf!@?.
You give me more reasons to think you're ghetto and still need to growin up to do.

Plus if you bother to read my post, I didn't say everybody with 20's is ghetto. I said the cars I see (in real life, not pictures on the forums) are ghetto.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
unless you get forged 20", they will always be heavier than 17"-19" rims.

Let's break this down...

Pro:
asethetics - Arguable, since thinner the tire sidewall magnifies the wheel gap

Con:
Price - More epensive
Prone to damages - Less sidewall, more prone to curbage, bending, and cracking
Reduced performance - Heavy wheels will worsen acceleration, cornering, braking, fuel economy, and supension wear. That's why racing cars use forged rims.
Ride - less side wall = harsher ride.

Like HiTec, I have yet to seen a set of good looking 20" on the TL. If you like show before go I'd say knock yourself out and get a set of 20". Unless you find a set of ultralight 20" wheels, expect a performance hit from them.

Personally I think 18 is the perfect balance between performance and asethetics.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

too funny... you just proved hitec's point.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kennyc
unless you get forged 20", they will always be heavier than 17"-19" rims.

Let's break this down...

Pro:
asethetics - Arguable, since thinner the tire sidewall magnifies the wheel gap

Con:
Price - More epensive
Prone to damages - Less sidewall, more prone to curbage, bending, and cracking
Reduced performance - Heavy wheels will worsen acceleration, cornering, braking, fuel economy, and supension wear. That's why racing cars use forged rims.
Ride - less side wall = harsher ride.

Like HiTec, I have yet to seen a set of good looking 20" on the TL. If you like show before go I'd say knock yourself out and get a set of 20". Unless you find a set of ultralight 20" wheels, expect a performance hit from them.

Personally I think 18 is the perfect balance between performance and asethetics.
Honestly I rarely see 20's on the road. I've always liked the look of 19's myself, but I agree with you on the 18's. I'd hate to hit a pothole with 20's or 19's on the car. Like any mod it can be done nicely and gaudy.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
VS#03

You give me more reasons to think you're ghetto and still need to growin up to do.

Plus if you bother to read my post, I didn't say everybody with 20's is ghetto. I said the cars I see (in real life, not pictures on the forums) are ghetto.
When you make a comment like that about 20's and if they are on your TL, that's ghetto. What do you think people or members would assume, that there taste in wheels is not up to par with your view on wheels. Also there are other ethnic groups on this thread and they would probaly think that you where expressing your views, in not so sensitive way.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
VS#03

Originally Posted by kennyc
too funny... you just proved hitec's point.
Who gives a f&!?!!!!.......with your weak ass TL. That also includes Hitec.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:50 AM
Pro

i agree with k shawn...there are alot of ethnic groups that would interpret wat you say differently mainly because we are typing and not talking in person....i honestly think 18s are too small. I had 18in A spec wheels and they were too small for me. Since i put my 20s on and with the right drop theres nothing better. You should look into some not so "ghetto" wheels like HRE, iforged, DPE, Work, etc.. 20's done right cant be stopped. Of course if u dont drop it it will look like a 4x4. Ride isnt soo bad. I havent noticed a differance when i switched over. As far as potholes, i live in nyc and i know potholes and i hit some big freakin holes and not one bent rim, yet ....But to each his own. I love my wheels and would never put my a specs back on except for winter. But none the less good luck with what eever u choose

Travis
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro

Kevin, Dont stress them man...we both know wwhats really good.

Travis
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM
gt1
` . ' . SUV haterrr

20' with spinners are hte way to go, but you also need to paint your brake calipers, slap few crome pieces on the car, put smoked, or better yet, black covers on your lights and velvet cover on the dashboard.
Or just buy Escalade
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
VS#03

It's funny......the two members that have lot to say, that really have any mods on there TL. If you consider change your stock tires a mod, I guess that is a mod or a Acurazine sticker also. It's guys like this that sit online and want to post comments like the one that was posted yesterday, these are the same guys that have upgraded stock tires or the bullshit A-spec suspension in there TL and want to be critical on other members TLs. That's not cool at all, be brave and get a full Tein SS with the edfc and also get a set of 19 inch wheels......it won't hurt. We are all members here.....can we just get along, enjoy yourselves, it's a celebration. Life is short.....enjoy the things you love.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

It's funny......the two members that have lot to say, that really have any mods on there TL. If you consider change your stock tires a mod, I guess that is a mod or a Acurazine sticker also. It's guys like this that sit online and want to post comments like the one that was posted yesterday, these are the same guys that have upgraded stock tires or the bullshit A-spec suspension in there TL and want to be critical on other members TLs. That's not cool at all, be brave and get a full Tein SS with the edfc and also get a set of 19 inch wheels......it won't hurt. We are all members here.....can we just get along, enjoy yourselves, it's a celebration. Life is short.....enjoy the things you love.
Again your immaturity and personal insecurity it showing again. You show an obvious need to show others that your mods are better and your car is better. I personally could care less, it's just a car to me and doesn't show my personal stature. I also don't see with you telling me that you know more sexual posistions than me has to do with anything, but again showing your insecurity and trying trying to prove yourself over and over again.

You expect me to bow down because you have Tein suspension on your TL? You judge people by how many mods they have? OK.... that makes sense.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Who gives a f&!?!!!!.......with your weak ass TL. That also includes Hitec.
I think you "gives a F&!?!!!!"

"Weak ass TL" LOL!! you really know how to hurt people with your razor sharp wits.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts

To be fair to k-shawn, the wording in your post could easily be misconstrued as saying the people you see with 20's are ghetto (not their rides). I dont blame him for getting offended by this. Your best move would have been to apologize for the misunderstanding, clarifying what you meant and move forward. Not further egging him on and trying to prove he's ghetto and that you're better than him. (yes this is what you are doing)
Old 08-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Racer

In my opinion 19's are as big as you should go on a TL....and even that is pushing it. Has nothing to do with performance or fit however, I just think that huge azz rims on cars start to make the car look like some kinda vehicle out of a comic book or something. The wheels just look too big in my opinion. Reading this thread there seems to be a big explosion about someone saying they look "ghetto" so I won't use that term....lol. Add to this the fact that the bigger you go the higher the risk of bent or damaged rims. I put 18's on my TL and I think they are the perfect size....although I would have definitely considered 19's if I lived in a warm weather state.....but 19's are as big as I would go.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leedogg
To be fair to k-shawn, the wording in your post could easily be misconstrued as saying the people you see with 20's are ghetto (not their rides). I dont blame him for getting offended by this. Your best move would have been to apologize for the misunderstanding, clarifying what you meant and move forward. Not further egging him on and trying to prove he's ghetto and that you're better than him. (yes this is what you are doing)
I think you know my original intent was not to insult anyone on this forum... far from it. It said the "people I see" I guess I could have been clearer. This meant (which I've already clarified my statement) car that I see around me in real life, not online. This is also not specific to TL's.

I not once have said my car is better than his, or his car is weak.... or anything along those lines. Tell me where I've said that I'm better than him or my car is better than his? He's the one comparing mods and knowledge of sexual positions (not sure where this comes from)?
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
VS#03

I think you know my original intent was not to insult anyone on this forum... far from it. It said the "people I see" I guess I could have been clearer. This meant (which I've already clarified my statement) car that I see around me in real life, not online. This is also not specific to TL's.

I not once have said my car is better than his, or his car is weak.... or anything along those lines. Tell me where I've said that I'm better than him or my car is better than his? He's the one comparing mods and knowledge of sexual positions (not sure where this comes from)?
Maybe you're ordinary guy that likes plain ordinary things or ideas, that is where I'm going with this.....unbutton your top button on your white shirt. Go for 19's or 20's with at least some Tein S-tech springs, you can get them from Excelerate on the Black Market (groupbuy) Forum. Get some real mods.....that doesn't mean you should run to Pep Boys and buy some wax and then list it as a modification Doesn't count. Leave the modifications to the members that are diehard Acura enthusiast (I think I spelled that wrong) and stay off the threads that deal with any modifications to TLs. Your ordinary guy and you need to stick with threads that deal with Bridgestones Turanza vs Michelins and whats the best gasoline to use for the TL.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

I smell a coming the way this one is going, but I have to wonder...why can't we appreciate all Acura's, modded or not? Why can't we be happy knowing that others are happy with whatever they've done to their car? Why can't we appreciate our differences, which is what makes us (and our cars) unique?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
VS#03

Again your immaturity and personal insecurity it showing again. You show an obvious need to show others that your mods are better and your car is better. I personally could care less, it's just a car to me and doesn't show my personal stature. I also don't see with you telling me that you know more sexual posistions than me has to do with anything, but again showing your insecurity and trying trying to prove yourself over and over again.

You expect me to bow down because you have Tein suspension on your TL? You judge people by how many mods they have? OK.... that makes sense.
I don't judge anybody.....from the time i've been a member on acurazine, I always had something good to say about every members car. Its guys like you that want to be critical (ex:wheels) and you don't even have aftermarket wheels. The point I'm trying to make, how can you be critical when you haven't as much as go on Tire Rack and visually test fit wheels on your TL. Oh yeah.....I'm very secure with myself, maybe your :ghey: ass is describing yourself. Maybe you need to talk to somebody about your issues. The funny thing I have several friends that reside in Chi-town, we disagree all the time and they don't even act like you.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:09 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I smell a coming the way this one is going, but I have to wonder...why can't we appreciate all Acura's, modded or not? Why can't we be happy knowing that others are happy with whatever they've done to their car? Why can't we appreciate our differences, which is what makes us (and our cars) unique?
I agree.....I'm leaving this one alone now, I apologize for my behavior on this thread. Leedog thanks for speaking up....appreciate it. Travis I'll hit you up tonight about the top hats & strut bar.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think 20's are too big. I just wouldn't want to worry about a bent rim. I personally think my 18's are great. I would only upgrade rims to 19' ronjon inspyre's. I just think they look clean like stock, but alittle edgy (not gaudy, definately not ghetto)
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Racer

Where is the poll for this thread? And no I dont think 20s are too big, but hey this is the guy that already has 20s on his car, so of course Im bound to say that.

And what are really your concerns with 20s disrupting performance? The feel of the ride? The gas mileage you will get? Brake wear? I really thnk it all comes down to, what you r willin to consider too big
Old 08-02-2006, 01:37 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

that's what I said... if you want show before go... 20 would be perfect!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Racer

I don't judge anybody.....from the time i've been a member on acurazine, I always had something good to say about every members car. Its guys like you that want to be critical (ex:wheels) and you don't even have aftermarket wheels. The point I'm trying to make, how can you be critical when you haven't as much as go on Tire Rack and visually test fit wheels on your TL. Oh yeah.....I'm very secure with myself, maybe your :ghey: ass is describing yourself. Maybe you need to talk to somebody about your issues. The funny thing I have several friends that reside in Chi-town, we disagree all the time and they don't even act like you.
K-Shawn.....judging from your responses in this thread, it's really hard to believe you are 34 years old. I would have guessed 16 or 17.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
8th Gear

ehhh this has got off on a tangent, as the guy that made this post, i just wanted to know if the ride would be compromised. i think these rims are beautiful, 20s arent really that big when juxtaposed with whats out there now... the car i'd be getting only has these 20s now, stock are gone...
Old 08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by esaray
ehhh this has got off on a tangent, as the guy that made this post, i just wanted to know if the ride would be compromised. i think these rims are beautiful, 20s arent really that big when juxtaposed with whats out there now... the car i'd be getting only has these 20s now, stock are gone...
It happens sometimes, that's just the way it goes...don't sweat it. 20's won't affect the ride, depending on the tires (quality of) that are on there. As a point of reference, my 19's with great tires ride better than my 17's (stock) with crappy tires.

Quick Reply: Are 20s too big?