2008 TL - Steering column replacement for noise/feeling question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 2008 TL - Steering column replacement for noise/feeling question

Hey everyone. I have a base 2008 TL automatic with approx 110,000 miles on it and took it to a local Acura dealership for a timing belt/water pump replacement. While they had it I asked them to check out a noise. I saw no problems with the steering but when sitting still (or barely moving) and you turn the wheel left or right (kind of quickly) you could feel a "clunk" and feel it in the wheel and seemingly under your feet on the floorboard. Again, it didn't seem to be causing any issues but asked them to check it out. They came back telling me it needed a steering column replacement. I have a 3rd party warranty (GWC) and just so happens this part was not covered by the warranty. I had them go ahead and do it since I wanted to get it all done. $976 later I picked it up (that was cost for JUST the column and alignment - timing belt was separate) and before pulling out of the parking lot I checked and the EXACT same noise and feeling was still there. I went back in and had them come out and see what I was talking about (just as I had done when I initially dropped it off) and both the service advisor and tech felt/heard it too.
They kept it and finally go it fixed today. I am picking it up tomorrow. I questioned rather the $1k steering column actually needed to be replaced because here was their explanation of what the final fix is: "...found there was an adjustment on the back side of the steering rack where the column comes down into it. We reset the free play in that column after the replacement." I questioned what damage they saw on the steering column that caused them to originally suggest it's replacement if this was the final fix. Here is their reply: "The original diagnosis of the steering column was due to the worn u-joint at the steering rack connection and this u-joint is available only with column. After replacing the column I would agree there was still some play felt in the connection, but was much better. After setting the steering pre-load at the rack and re-aligning the vehicle I feel that it is as best it can get. The tech also stated there needs to be a small amount of play due to the centering of the wheel."

Are they blowing smoke or does this sound legit? Seems to me that since the problem was EXACTLY the same before and after the column replacement, perhaps it didn't need to be replaced at all and maybe I ask for my $$ back! Just wanted to see what the community had to say about this.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron