2007 TL-S, Coilover Suggestions/Alts

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 06:54 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
2007 TL-S, Coilover Suggestions/Alts

Fellas,

I've been running KW V1's for about 5 years and had the front driver side begin leaking on me during COVID and there's noise coming from the rear. The entire KW warranty process sucks balls so I'm thinking of replacing the entire set. The ride is quite good but honestly had nothing but issues with KW. I'll be keeping my car for quite some time and would like to run something that can last longer. I'm lowered about 1.5" running 18x9's all around.

Some folks suggested Tein Flex or BC. Some have suggested go with Koni Yellow and lowering springs as they will last much longer as the issues I've experienced with coils tend to be common. Wondering if there are any other good quality options.

Cheers!

Last edited by Hacura; 08-26-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:17 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
How many miles on the KW’s?

How many miles do you put on it per year?

I’m happy with my Koni yellows and H&R sport springs. I’ve heard a lot of good reviews on both the Tein coil overs and the BC! BC being more saught after….

I also enjoy the Hop Nosh very much. 😋
Old 08-27-2021, 01:04 AM
Pro

I've got about 50k miles on them and run about 10k per year, less during COVID of course. Forgot to mention I don't track the car at all.

How long have you had the Koni's and how much of a drop are you running? I'm reading that coils tend to be more problematic after a certain number of miles regardless of mono or twin tube design.

Cheers on the IPA bud!
Old 08-27-2021, 08:36 AM
-------Tim-------

I’ve had the Koni's for ~8yrs. And have about 57k miles on them. I’m lowered about 1.8” in the front, and 2” in the rear. If memory serves correct. I have the Koni yellow SP3, shocks, which came with more perches than the koni sport. 5 perches, front and rear, vs 2 front and 3 rear (I believe). Running 1 perch lower than stock perch for koni’s in the front, and lowest perch (2 lower than stock perch on koni’s) in the rear. My perches are 10mm between each perch.

I have a pic if needed…
The following users liked this post:
Hacura (08-31-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 10:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,184 Likes on 891 Posts
Tein Street Advance is a good choice. Teins last a long time, trouble free.

They may not ride quite as well as the KW. But...they will last longer.

I don't think KW is known for longevity in any market.

Koni's do last forever. I'm not a huge fan of lowering a car on stock length shocks. And 1.5" is a pretty agressive drop. But...you might not mind the way it rides.

And...yeah, every company's warranty process sucks. That's why they can afford to warranty them...and also why people can afford to buy them.

Last edited by BROlando; 08-27-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Hacura (08-31-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 04:46 PM
Pro

Appreciate the replies gentlemen. I'm going to try out the Flex Z's as they are priced pretty good. Hopefully I can sell part of the KW's to offset cost.

Cheers!
Old 08-31-2021, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hacura
Appreciate the replies gentlemen. I'm going to try out the Flex Z's as they are priced pretty good. Hopefully I can sell part of the KW's to offset cost.

Cheers!
There are mixed feelings on the ride quality of the Flex.

My feelings are that they are awful lol

The Street Advance were a lot better. But...if you're after a 1.5" drop, maybe they're not optimal either. Might be close to their limit.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:14 PM
Rich

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cheers!
same here. Probably gonna get the Flex Z for my wife car. Her car need front shocks and car have clunking noises every time hit bumps or pot holes. So probably need bushing (top head), and the Flex Z come with it unlike the street advance. Hopefully come on sale or deal for blackfriday or Christmas
Old 09-22-2021, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I was soon to order the KW for my '08 tl-s. I've found few reviews of it for tl-s.
So other than the issues and longevity, how did you like them?

Did you move to the Flex Z's? I'm curious your thoughts on those vs KW vs oem.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Locustjones
I was soon to order the KW for my '08 tl-s. I've found few reviews of it for tl-s.
So other than the issues and longevity, how did you like them?

Did you move to the Flex Z's? I'm curious your thoughts on those vs KW vs oem.
I've been doing more research and have put it on hold for now. KW V1's have a solid ride but remember they are only height adjustable, dampening is set and can be too soft for some. The ride is better than stock TL-S. If you're going to spend that much I would look at Fortune Auto Coils with Swift Spring upgrade. Unfortunately we have limited options available.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:08 PM
Intermediate

I'll check Fortune Auto C out - looks like the 500 series. Thanks

I'm trying not to lower any more than 1" - I have to access construction sites regularly and stock is almost as low as I'd prefer - 1" drop is my limit. The KW at 0.8" seemed perfect and the very few reviews sounded great for what I'm after - more oem type ride when slower speeds and then they 'kick in' when driving more aggressively. Your comment about longevity and reliability took me back. I still want a certain amount of reliability trust with them. I emailed KW about putting together a v2 and no reply. They answered my other inquiries.

BC Racing DS series with the Swift springs are another I've considered but I think they'll lower it more than I want after checking with their tech side.

I wish I could have tried the aspec just to see but looked like haven't been available for almost a decade.
Old 09-24-2021, 10:16 AM
-------Tim-------

^ you could look into to H-tech springs paired with Koni yellow sport shocks. I can’t recall h-tech’s drop, but I believe it was right around 1”, and you could adjust that slightly higher with koni’s. Just a thought. They’re dampening adjustable also (rebound only).
Old 09-24-2021, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6
^ you could look into to H-tech springs paired with Koni yellow sport shocks. I can’t recall h-tech’s drop, but I believe it was right around 1”, and you could adjust that slightly higher with koni’s. Just a thought. They’re dampening adjustable also (rebound only).
Thank you Slpr04UA6. So looks like only a 0.6F and 0.7" R drops for the H.Tech. Those are the Tein springs?
That might be the winner for me. Will look into it.
Slpr04UA6 (09-25-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Not a bad suggestion.

The trick to using KW (and Koni) is keeping them at a very conservative height. They're not the best setup for slamming stuff down.

The TL doesn't have a ton of shock travel before they hit the bumpstops. The stock shocks, at stock height work within ~1" of shock travel before bumpstopping.

KW's need to meet German TUV standard. Which means they don't deviate from the stock shock length by much/at all.

A 1" ride height drop is probably pushing their "optimal" setting to the limit. Its going to eat up most of the shock's free travel.

The less you can use the bumpstop, the longer the shocks will last, and the better the car will ride, to generalise it.

The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
Jim2301 (09-25-2021), Slpr04UA6 (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 07:28 AM
-------Tim-------

^so you’re saying my current setup isn’t optimal? Serious question.

I did shorten the bump stops when I installed mine. I wouldn’t consider mine slammed, but some may.

I have a set of brand new Neuspeed race springs in a box, thought about trying those with the perch level increased to stock height or higher, to achieve the same drop but more shock travel (?). I just didn’t want to go that low when I first got the set. I have the koni sp3’s with more perch adjustments.

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 09-25-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM
-------Tim-------

Originally Posted by Locustjones
Thank you Slpr04UA6. So looks like only a 0.6F and 0.7" R drops for the H.Tech. Those are the Tein springs?
That might be the winner for me. Will look into it.
Yes, Tein H-Tech.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

^so you’re saying my current setup isn’t optimal? Serious question.

I did shorten the bump stops when I installed mine. I wouldn’t consider mine slammed, but some may.

I have a set of brand new Neuspeed race springs in a box, thought about trying those with the perch level increased to stock height or higher, to achieve the same drop but more shock travel (?). I just didn’t want to go that low when I first got the set. I have the koni sp3’s with more perch adjustments.
If you're happy with it, then its fine.

I'm really just talking objectively. The stock length shocks have limited travel. Whomever designed the car designed the shock travel and bumpstop actuation to be optimized at stock height, with stock spring rates, etc.

Whenever you modify the suspension, you come away with some compromise. But we all do it anyway because it looks sick haha.

If you lower a car as an OEM would, it would take a significant amount of engineering to tune out those compromises. Think about Acura/Honda's "Type R" lineup, and how many changes they make to the suspension just to achieve a 0.75" ride height drop. And notice that they end up lowering the car at a very conservative drop.

Cutting bumpstops is definitely a way of tuning. But its got its advantages/disadvantages.

Again...you recommended the setup because you're happy. So don't let math tell you its not good.

If you're noticing things you're unhappy with, there's probably ways to try and tune them out.

Last edited by BROlando; 09-25-2021 at 09:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BROlando:
csmeance (09-30-2021), Jim2301 (09-25-2021)
Old 03-21-2022, 01:36 PM
Pro

Fellas,

After further research and recommendations, it looks as if I'm leaning towards a Koni Yellow Sport setup and am trying to figure out which springs to go with for ~1" drop (definitely want >.5" drop). I need something long-term and hassle free at this point.
Old 03-21-2022, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Fellas,

After further research and recommendations, it looks as if I'm leaning towards a Koni Yellow Sport setup and am trying to figure out which springs to go with for ~1" drop (definitely want >.5" drop). I need something long-term and hassle free at this point.
Long term and hassle free = stock

Koni's should work with a 1" drop. Always on bumpstops...but...they're strong shocks.

Tein H spec for springs, maybe? Or stock A spec?
Slpr04UA6 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 05:54 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BROlando
Long term and hassle free = stock

Koni's should work with a 1" drop. Always on bumpstops...but...they're strong shocks.

Tein H spec for springs, maybe? Or stock A spec?
I've got an email out to Swift Springs to see if they offer anything in combo with the Koni's, otherwise I'll be taking a look at Eibach, HR (more firm). Would you happen to know the drop on Tein H and stock A Spec?

edit: I found the drop on Tein H springs, they are less aggressive but an option.

Last edited by Hacura; 03-21-2022 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2022, 07:00 AM
Safety Car

buying a set of decent coilovers is the most simple solution to lowering a car BTW. Tein Street Advance Z for example.

Set the height exactly how you like. Set the damping up. Then never touch it again if you don't want to.

Why are lowering springs less hassle? You have to do research on drops and settle for whatever drop is closest to what you want. If you ever change your mind...you need to also change your springs.

Seems like more hassle...no?
Slpr04UA6 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-22-2022, 12:21 PM
Pro

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BROlando
buying a set of decent coilovers is the most simple solution to lowering a car BTW. Tein Street Advance Z for example.

Set the height exactly how you like. Set the damping up. Then never touch it again if you don't want to.

Why are lowering springs less hassle? You have to do research on drops and settle for whatever drop is closest to what you want. If you ever change your mind...you need to also change your springs.

Seems like more hassle...no?
My current drop isn't too aggressive so settling for a 1" spring drop and not planning on changing it with the hopes it will last much longer hassle free. Will be shopping for a new SUV once this chip shortage madness ends so I need the TL to be worry free. I've got to let go at some point lol...
Old 03-22-2022, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Well...there's no reason it would last longer to do springs/shocks.

I'm not sure if you investigated why/how your KW failed. So...why/how are you assured the Koni will last longer even with a 1" drop on this particular car?

Yes, Koni's are good shocks. But if they fail, you'll be in the same "lifetime warranty" boat you are in now. Right?

Also, if you're waiting for the chip shortage...that's not long term (hopefully).

Its your car! I'm just trying to make sense of it all lol.

I'm not understanding the simplicity aspect. It might be none of my business, I suppose. Maybe you just want Konis and springs.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-22-2022 at 12:49 PM.
Slpr04UA6 (03-23-2022)
Old 03-23-2022, 02:52 PM
-------Tim-------

You could go h&r sports, and just raise the perch level 1, from factory setting. H&r sports are 1.4” front and 1.3” rear. Perches are 20mm apart…..one lower and one higher avail with koni sports.

Altho if you’ve had coil overs, you make like the Tein that BroLando suggested. Then you can adjust to your exact height requirements. Prob about the same price if not cheaper (I haven’t looked).
Old 03-23-2022, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

You could go h&r sports, and just raise the perch level 1, from factory setting. H&r sports are 1.4” front and 1.3” rear. Perches are 20mm apart…..one lower and one higher avail with koni sports.

Altho if you’ve had coil overs, you make like the Tein that BroLando suggested. Then you can adjust to your exact height requirements. Prob about the same price if not cheaper (I haven’t looked).
Yes, Tein SA are cheaper, and way more easy to adjust lol

Yes. Koni's come with different perch spots.

BUT...

20mm at the FRONT shock = 1.23" of ride height change.

20mm at the REAR shock = 0.92" of ride height.

So using the upper perches on Koni and using H&R sports, you end up with a 0.17" drop up front. And a 0.38" drop in back.

If I weren't here to do this math for you, you'd have to totally disassemble. And send the Koni out to get new perch rings cut at the correct intervals.

Then reassemble and confirm.

Or live with the 1.4" and 1.3" drop after re-perching and reassembling.

GOOD THING I KNOW MATH, though.

Last edited by BROlando; 03-23-2022 at 04:56 PM.
Slpr04UA6 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 01:24 PM
-------Tim-------

^ I can do math too! 🤣

I was just stating if the OP didn’t want the advertised drop of the H&R sports, he could raise it. I didn’t do the math. So yeah, it wouldn’t be a 1” drop. Maybe the race springs would be a better spring for doing the upper perch. Thanks for providing the math tho, I’m sure that will help the OP!
Or just get the Teins you recommended…..

Last edited by Slpr04UA6; 03-25-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 05:17 PM
Safety Car

^ I can do math too! 🤣

I was just stating if the OP didn’t want the advertised drop of the H&R sports, he could raise it. I didn’t do the math. So yeah, it wouldn’t be a 1” drop. Maybe the race springs would be a better spring for doing the upper perch. Thanks for providing the math tho, I’m sure that will help the OP!
Or just get the Teins you recommended…..
I'm belaboring the point about the tedious process lol

Honestly, the Teins were just a recommendation that's worked for me as a VERY simple and bulletproof solution. Is the ride perfect? No. But its nice...and its better than using stock length shocks on their bumpstop with some random rate spring whose height you need to just live with.

I've also been riding on the same set of Teins for 70K+ miles around the Chicago burbs. They see every season and they're barely touched by rust. No leaks. Everything still works. I've had multiple such experiences with Tein SA.

Ultimately, its OP's car. I don't really ever even plan to ride in it. He can lower it by putting slabs of concrete in the floorboards and it wouldn't bug me.

My curiosity about where the notion of "lowering springs are more simple" came from is what I'm trying to satisfy.

Slpr04UA6 (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 06:16 PM
-------Tim-------

True. I’m happy with my setup, but I’m prob riding close to if not on the bumpstops, by your statements. Idk, I’m not experienced enough to say yes or no. So I’ll leave it at that. I wish you lived close by me to show me the difference. Seriously. And I’m not second guessing any info you’ve provided. I don’t think springs/shocks is an easier route at all. I just chose that for myself. I’d like to ride in a TL with coil overs to experience the difference. I’m sure I’d learn something. 🤓
Old 03-25-2022, 06:32 PM
Safety Car

True. I’m happy with my setup, but I’m prob riding close to if not on the bumpstops, by your statements. Idk, I’m not experienced enough to say yes or no. So I’ll leave it at that. I wish you lived close by me to show me the difference. Seriously. And I’m not second guessing any info you’ve provided. I don’t think springs/shocks is an easier route at all. I just chose that for myself. I’d like to ride in a TL with coil overs to experience the difference. I’m sure I’d learn something. 🤓
No worries man! I appreciate the discussion and I'm sure OP appreciates your input!

Slpr04UA6 (03-25-2022)