2007 TL needs to be dropped, but not slopped.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 TL needs to be dropped, but not slopped.

Just bought my TL (non type S) and the gap between wheel+fender is a little much for me. I do not want to tuck, or have my tires scrape, just want the gap removed by an inch, give or take. I work in the city where pot-holes are everywhere and am not trying to ruin my car. I don't want to be bouncing around like im riding with hydrolics or anything like that. Looking for a lowered ride, with the comfort of stock.

Looking at Eibach Pro-Kit springs, what is everyone's opinion on them? And what shocks are best to use?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And as far as RacingBrakes kit goes, I want to replace my whole setup while I have the suspension off. http://www.racingbrake.com/v/main/ve...a.asp?model=TL
I am not the most mechanic savy, so which should i get (include part #s please)? Not trying to spend alot, but want better braking then what i got going on now. I would also be replace the brake lines too.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The TL already has limited suspension travel. If you lower the car you need to increase the spring rate to keep it off the bumpstops. If you don't increase the spring rate, I wouldn't go more than 3/4".

If you want just a slight drop, Koni Yellows on their softest setting with stock springs will literally give you stock ride with a 3/4" drop. The front Konis were the first thing I did to the car and everyone was amazed at how much better it looked and how much a 3/4" drop showed up. It was enough that it looked much better but people who were not familiar with the TL did not know it had been dropped.

A-spec springs, especially the 6mt springs on an auto will give you almost 3/4" drop in the front and better performance too. Ride quality is a little worse than stock but it's close enough that after a week or two of driving you don't notice it anymore.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
The TL already has limited suspension travel. If you lower the car you need to increase the spring rate to keep it off the bumpstops. If you don't increase the spring rate, I wouldn't go more than 3/4".

If you want just a slight drop, Koni Yellows on their softest setting with stock springs will literally give you stock ride with a 3/4" drop. The front Konis were the first thing I did to the car and everyone was amazed at how much better it looked and how much a 3/4" drop showed up. It was enough that it looked much better but people who were not familiar with the TL did not know it had been dropped.

A-spec springs, especially the 6mt springs on an auto will give you almost 3/4" drop in the front and better performance too. Ride quality is a little worse than stock but it's close enough that after a week or two of driving you don't notice it anymore.
So, I dont understand how koni shocks and struts can lower the car. Is it because of a perch thing? springs is what lowers your springs, not shocks, in a normal setup.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
So, I dont understand how koni shocks and struts can lower the car. Is it because of a perch thing? springs is what lowers your springs, not shocks, in a normal setup.
They have adjustable spring perches so you're basically changing the spring mounting points. The nice thing is you don't increase spring rate by doing this.

I've thought about this for a long time and I haven't come to a conclusion yet but I can see one possible drawback....

With the car sitting there at it's loaded weight, the spring will have the same rate whether it's on the low or stock setting. As the suspension is unloaded such as a dip in the road or the inside tires in a corner, the rate may decrease more than it would sitting in the stock height position. At full suspension droop with the shocks in the low height setting the spring rate should be lower than in the stock height setting. Once you're at normal ride height or more compressed it should not make a difference in rate.

I could see pros and cons of this, especially with aftermarket swaybars.