AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/)
-   -   2004 A-Spec Wheels, anyone have a really nice set? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/2004-spec-wheels-anyone-have-really-nice-set-968349/)

VisualEchos 03-24-2018 10:18 PM

2004 A-Spec Wheels, anyone have a really nice set?

I've been looking to pick a set of these up, but ALL of them seem to have curb rash, or have been refinished. Are there any nice ones left?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Automotiv...20Gunmetal.jpg

VisualEchos 03-25-2018 04:16 PM

I'm guessing that's a "no."

mtiaz 03-25-2018 05:11 PM

They are pretty hard to come by in general & even harder in good condition. Mine weren't damage but the finish was shot and ended up getting them powdercoated in hyper silver for $450.

VisualEchos 03-25-2018 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by mtiaz (Post 16208112)
They are pretty hard to come by in general & even harder in good condition. Mine weren't damage but the finish was shot and ended up getting them powdercoated in hyper silver for $450.

Yeah, that's what I'll end up doing, I don't like the stock finish, but I want a really nice set to start with.

Post some pix of yours, if you don't mind.

mtiaz 03-25-2018 08:21 PM

Yeah, I didn't mind the grey finish that 8.5's only came in, but it wasn't my favourite so when it came to refinishing I decided to go hyper silver since I really liked the look of it.
In the next week or two they'll be getting wrapped in Michelin PS4S, so here they are completely naked:

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d46a646a95.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...ade7aa2c56.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...c74ecf0e1b.jpg

VisualEchos 03-25-2018 08:35 PM

Damn man, those look fantastic. That's pretty much what I'm wanting to do with a set, maybe go a bit darker on the finish, but the same type of finish. I hope you're going with 255/35 tires!

mtiaz 03-25-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16208176)
Damn man, those look fantastic. That's pretty much what I'm wanting to do with a set, maybe go a bit darker on the finish, but the same type of finish. I hope you're going with 255/35 tires!

Thanks! Yeah I opted for one of the lighter shades of hyper silver that's similarly found on Audi wheels.

Wouldn't that look weird? As in the tire/rim ratio look small? The previous size on the rim was 265/35 but I might go with 245/40 tires this time around.

VisualEchos 03-25-2018 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by mtiaz (Post 16208187)
Thanks! Yeah I opted for one of the lighter shades of hyper silver that's similarly found on Audi wheels.

Wouldn't that look weird? As in the tire/rim ratio look small? The previous size on the rim was 265/35 but I might go with 245/40 tires this time around.

Classy color on a classy car, well done sir.

Stock OD was around 25.7", and a little tall to my eye. The 265/35 bulges a bit, but is perfect @ 25.3" OD. The 255/35 is a bit short @ 25" even, but gives the car that BMW thin-tire look.

It really depends on several factors, like how you want the tire to fit, how rough your roads are, the ride quality you prefer, the drop you have, etc.

I like the 265/35 on a 9.5, it's what I have now, and fits flawlessly.

Test
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

mtiaz 03-25-2018 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16208192)
Classy color on a classy car, well done sir.

Stock OD was around 25.7", and a little tall to my eye. The 265/35 bulges a bit, but is perfect @ 25.3" OD. The 255/35 is a bit short @ 25" even, but gives the car that BMW thin-tire look.

It really depends on several factors, like how you want the tire to fit, how rough your roads are, the ride quality you prefer, the drop you have, etc.

I like the 265/35 on a 9.5, it's what I have now, and fits flawlessly.

Test by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

I've always digged your fitment and drop for a while now. For me I want a wide-looking tire with a proper sidewall - not a fan of stretched tires.
I might be dropping the car this summer but not by much if I end up doing so.
My tire shop only has Michelin PSS for 255/35, which is an older tire design. I might ask if they can get PS4S in that size or possibly go for the Bridgestone RE71-R in that size. Or just stick to 245/40 lol...

VisualEchos 03-25-2018 09:17 PM

Thanks man.

The 255/35 is a short tire, for sure, but a lot of guys like that. I think, for me, the 25.3" is the minimum, and 25.6" would the maximum, but I'm a pretty damn specific person when it comes to wheel/tire/fitment/gap etc.

Before you buy tires, please look at the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, they are monumentally good for the money. Hard to be a Michelin PAnything, but for the money/grip/wear/etc, those new Firestones are taking the world by storm.

mtiaz 03-31-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16208199)
Thanks man.

The 255/35 is a short tire, for sure, but a lot of guys like that. I think, for me, the 25.3" is the minimum, and 25.6" would the maximum, but I'm a pretty damn specific person when it comes to wheel/tire/fitment/gap etc.

Before you buy tires, please look at the new Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, they are monumentally good for the money. Hard to be a Michelin PAnything, but for the money/grip/wear/etc, those new Firestones are taking the world by storm.

If I were someone racking up miles on a single set of tires, I probably wouldn't have gone for the Michelin PS4S. I wanted to have a seriously good summer tire so I decided to cough up a little extra for them. So far the tires are amazing, they ride super well and have tremendous amounts of grips. I got a quick couple of shots of how the hyper-silver 18x8.5's look on a WDP TL-S - car is still dirty so excuse me for that. I really dig it & it came out better than I expected.

I think with some spacers and a slight drop would make it look perfect.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7052ead39e.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...8379f5f498.jpg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a44b5f6fd7.jpg

VisualEchos 03-31-2018 05:50 PM

Damn, so classy, so beautiful.

And when the time comes for you to get rid of those wheels, PM me first, I'll take 'em off your hands.

theCoffeeFiend 03-31-2018 09:36 PM

Hey VisualEchos.
Wish you the best of luck on finding a clean set of the 04 A-Specs. But I'm going to have to say you will not find a good set, considering the wheels are over 10 years old. Most will give the advice of finding any A-specs you can and refinish them yourself. I searched for months around my area for clean A-specs and no clean ones are to be found. Even ones in okay condition fetch for a high price tag to the point that I might as well buy aftermarket wheels. Finally found a set that were very beat up, but got them for a great price. Reconditioned them myself, slapped on some rubber on, and spent a lot less than I anticipated.
What I'm trying to get here is that you don't want to wait for a good set, because it may not happen for awhile. Keep your options open, buy some other nice wheels that fit your style in the meantime

mtiaz 04-01-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16211281)
Damn, so classy, so beautiful.

And when the time comes for you to get rid of those wheels, PM me first, I'll take 'em off your hands.

Thanks haha, thats the biggest compliment I could get.

VisualEchos 04-01-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by theCoffeeFiend (Post 16211332)
Hey VisualEchos.
Wish you the best of luck on finding a clean set of the 04 A-Specs. But I'm going to have to say you will not find a good set, considering the wheels are over 10 years old. Most will give the advice of finding any A-specs you can and refinish them yourself. I searched for months around my area for clean A-specs and no clean ones are to be found. Even ones in okay condition fetch for a high price tag to the point that I might as well buy aftermarket wheels. Finally found a set that were very beat up, but got them for a great price. Reconditioned them myself, slapped on some rubber on, and spent a lot less than I anticipated.
What I'm trying to get here is that you don't want to wait for a good set, because it may not happen for awhile. Keep your options open, buy some other nice wheels that fit your style in the meantime

A nice set will come up, they always do, and I'm in no hurry.

I already have a nice set of daily wheels, I'm wanting the A-Spec's for my Winter set (we get very little snow here).

Tail Happy.
by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Slpr04UA6 04-01-2018 05:27 PM

Hope you can find a nice set!

I have a set of 18x8 A-Spec’s, BNIB in hyper silver. Wanting the widest tire I can get, but not willing to drop down to a 35 series. I am lowered as well (on h&r sports/koni SP3’s-second to lowest perch in front, lowest in rear). These are the 5 perch koni’s. Wanted to maybe go 255/40. But don’t know if shop will mount, being they aren’t 8.5” wide.

Also, I’ll have to look up the Firestone tires you recommended. I was thinkin the Continental Extreme Contact Sports, similar to Michelin PS4s, according to reviews. Always interested in reviews from others with experience!

Joecop67 04-01-2018 07:42 PM

My shop mounted 255/40 on my stock 8".

VisualEchos 04-01-2018 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6 (Post 16211479)
Hope you can find a nice set!

I have a set of 18x8 A-Spec’s, BNIB in hyper silver. Wanting the widest tire I can get, but not willing to drop down to a 35 series. I am lowered as well (on h&r sports/koni SP3’s-second to lowest perch in front, lowest in rear). These are the 5 perch koni’s. Wanted to maybe go 255/40. But don’t know if shop will mount, being they aren’t 8.5” wide.

Also, I’ll have to look up the Firestone tires you recommended. I was thinkin the Continental Extreme Contact Sports, similar to Michelin PS4s, according to reviews. Always interested in reviews from others with experience!

You mean you have new A-Spec's in Satin?

This wheel?

https://photos.smugmug.com/Automotiv...m%20Carbon.jpg

And 265 is used on 8" all the time, so anything smaller than that is perfectly fine. The 255/35 or 255/40 will be perfectly fine on the 8" A-Spec.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 06:53 AM

^No, the Hyper silver, similar to Mtiaz’s new color, only factory.

I havent looked up the OD of 255/40. I believe that size should work with my drop.

maybe I need to find a new shop! Lol! They said they wouldn’t mount the 255/40 on my stock 17’s last time I got tires.

Visual—have you heard anything good or bad regarding the New conti’s?

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6 (Post 16211598)
^No, the Hyper silver, similar to Mtiaz’s new color, only factory.

I havent looked up the OD of 255/40. I believe that size should work with my drop.

Acura never made the A-Spec wheel in a "hyper silver."
The wheels were made in Satin (looks like what most would call hyper silver), Sparkle Silver (looks like standard silver), and Chrome Look (just like it sounds).

In addition, the 2004 8.5" wheel was made in only one color; Gunmetal.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 06:59 AM

Ok, my bad “sparkle silver”, I thought it was hyper....

i want the Gunmetal, and 8.5”! But got these for a good price.

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Slpr04UA6 (Post 16211601)
Ok, my bad “sparkle silver”, I thought it was hyper....

i want the Gunmetal, and 8.5”! But got these for a good price.

I was one of the guys that bought the Sparkle silver's off of eBay new as well, but I sold them, as they aren't really what I'm looking for.

That wheel looks like this...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Automotiv...O/VEP_6351.png

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 07:02 AM

The interesting thing is that, in real life, under the right lighting, there is almost no difference at all between Sparkle and Satin. But change the light and they are vastly different. The Gunmetal is obviously different from the start, no mistaking it.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 07:05 AM

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 07:14 AM

I literally stole those wheels, and regret selling them a bit, but they just weren't exactly what I wanted.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 07:22 AM

Lol!

I agree, it isn’t the ideal color we all want, nor the coveted 8.5”! But it’ll work ok for me!

Now just to pick a tire! :shrug:

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 07:34 AM

I wouldn't worry about that much, literally all of them will work on that wheel.

235/40 <--slightly skinny, but will work just fine, especially for Winter tires
245/40 <--better fit, most popular, and safest bet
255/40 <--a little tall, but fits great, and rides softest
255/35 <--a little short, but fits great, and rides more harshly (best Summer performance from this size. If BMW had made this car, this is the size tire they would have fitted to it).
265/35 <--a little wide, and may rub a bit in the front, depending on your drop/camber

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 07:38 AM

Yeah, think I’ll stick to 245/40. It’s my daily, and don’t want any issues down the road. Ride quality is also important. As well as height of tire. I just have a hard time choosing a brand of Summer tire. I only drive between 10-12k miles per year, but want to get at least two years outta a set!

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 07:41 AM

Dude, I'm telling you, if you're getting a pure Summer tire, the Firehawk Indy just can't be beat for the dollar.

If you're not wanting to go that aggressive, as that's a pretty aggressive tire, the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport is damn hard to beat.

If you get the all-season Conti DWS 06 is very comfortable, offers great performance, and a good price.

91greensho 04-02-2018 09:41 AM

Possible solution

Hi Guys

I have been a long time lurker on the forum but this is my first post so bare with me. If your interested in 18x8 A-Spec wheels I have a set in the original ebony finish. However, they are not mint but still in pretty good shape (light curb rash). But I do have a contact that works for a wheel resurfacing company and is bar none the best I’ve ever seen. We contracted him in almost weekly at the shop I used to work for. He is able to match the color no problem as I inquired about this before I decided to go a different route. Let me know as they are up for sale soon.
Thanks,
Chad

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 91greensho (Post 16211669)
Hi Guys

I have been a long time lurker on the forum but this is my first post so bare with me. If your interested in 18x8 A-Spec wheels I have a set in the original ebony finish. However, they are not mint but still in pretty good shape (light curb rash). But I do have a contact that works for a wheel resurfacing company and is bar none the best I’ve ever seen. We contracted him in almost weekly at the shop I used to work for. He is able to match the color no problem as I inquired about this before I decided to go a different route. Let me know as they are up for sale soon.
Thanks,
Chad

Chad,

A few things.

First, this post should be in the for sale forum, not in my thread.
Second, there is no such thing as a TL factory wheel made in ebony. The finish name is Satin, but appears very "hyper silver", "euro chrome", etc.
Third, unless your wheel refinisher ADDS aluminum to the wheel to fill in the gaps caused by the curb rash, they suck like everyone else. SUPER hard to find a good wheel refinisher these days, they pretty much all suck.
Lastly, they cannot match the finish. The color on the Acura wheel is proprietary, made by Enkei, and not shared. No wheel refinisher in the world can match the paint.

Sorry for the bad news bro.

-Andrew

91greensho 04-02-2018 11:06 AM

Ok man sorry to impose. But yes all of the above procedures can be and have been done by him.

91greensho 04-02-2018 11:10 AM

Ok man sorry to impose. But yes all of the above procedures can be and have been done by him. That is why I shared.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 12:32 PM

Thanks Andrew! Not looking for anything too aggressive as far as tires, Just a summer tire with Good wet & dry traction. I’ve been somewhat Happy with the Bridgestone Potenza’s RE760, but figured I’d try something else this time! I don’t want cheap tires, but not too expensive either. I don’t need all seasons here in Florida. :thumbsup:

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 12:48 PM

Yes, for sure, I'm not a fan of the all season tires either, but the DWS 06 is fantastic, and quieter than a true Summer tire. Lasts longer too.

mtiaz 04-02-2018 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by VisualEchos (Post 16211618)
Dude, I'm telling you, if you're getting a pure Summer tire, the Firehawk Indy just can't be beat for the dollar.

If you're not wanting to go that aggressive, as that's a pretty aggressive tire, the new Conti Extreme Contact Sport is damn hard to beat.

If you get the all-season Conti DWS 06 is very comfortable, offers great performance, and a good price.

Tbh not a fan of the Conti Extreme Contacts. The reason being I’ve seen a decent amount of these tires that tend to “cup” because they aren’t being driven at high speeds. Many of the Audi’s with summer tire options have been fitted with these tires & it is the most common warranty issue with these tires usually.

Perhaps you may want to consider Yokohama S-Drives. They were a phenomenal summer tire & very reasonably priced. There a little noisier than a standard A/S tire, but it’s nothing unbearable. Treadwear & grip was also very good.

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mtiaz (Post 16211816)

Tbh not a fan of the Conti Extreme Contacts. The reason being I’ve seen a decent amount of these tires that tend to “cup” because they aren’t being driven at high speeds. Many of the Audi’s with summer tire options have been fitted with these tires & it is the most common warranty issue with these tires usually.

Perhaps you may want to consider Yokohama S-Drives. They were a phenomenal summer tire & very reasonably priced. There a little noisier than a standard A/S tire, but it’s nothing unbearable. Treadwear & grip was also very good.

I had the S-Drive's for 3 years, hate that tire, personally. Very slimy when hot, no turn-in, just bad all around. Just my opinion.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 01:35 PM

Damn! Mtiaz had to mess up my thoughts! Lol!

Good to know, anyway!
I don’t know why they would “cup” from not being driven at high speeds? I haven’t read that in reviews.

I’ve been reading reviews on the Firestone, they seem good! I just can’t make up my mind, as most tires aren’t cheap, and I’m not trying to cheap out on the only thing holding you to the road! I really don’t want to have to deal with problems. I do drive spiritedly often. And just want a good all around Summer tire. :ugh:

Firestone’s 500, are about ~$100 cheaper than Continental’s...not that, that is of big concern.

Slpr04UA6 04-02-2018 01:46 PM

Sorry Andrew! Didn’t mean to clutter up your thread. I just know you know your stuff considering tires! And rims for that matter! Thnks!

PM me if you have any more advice! Much appreciated!

VisualEchos 04-02-2018 02:10 PM

Dude, no problem, any discussion to bump my thread is good (unless it's supposed to be a FS thread haha).