17" Versus 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Tucker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17" Versus 18" wheels

Im trying to decide if I should upgrade to 18s or stick with the stock Michelin tires and just buy some really nice 17 inch rims. I have no immediate plans to go 19s or 20s so those are not options for me right now. The streets here in Northern VA and DC can be pretty unforgiving sometime which is why I've narrowed it down to 17s or 18s. I just recently entertained the idea of 17s because (for some reason I didnt think of this before) really, in actually, 18s are not that much bigger from a far (and up close, until you read the tire size). I say this because I would hate to buy some 18s and (not that I need for people to know my rim size, BUT, it would be nice to be able to distinguish between the 2 ya know...) and they are still confused with looking like 17s. Again, im not trying to get anyone to like me just b/c I bought 18s, but I would like my 18s to actually "LOOK" like 18s, otherwise I would be ok with buying the 17s. Am I putting to much thought into this or being too anal about the 17s vs 18s...?? I have been ready to buy for a couple weeks now but I havent been able to make up my mind. And just for the record, I am looking into buying chrome wheels for my WDP TL. Im not really a fan of silver or colored wheels although I love black/silver lip wheels, just not on my WDP TL. Does anyone have pics of their TL with the stock 17inch tire with aftermarket wheels??

Sorry, I got long-winded...
Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I would stay with the 17's and go 245/45-17. The 18's would require a lower aspect ratio tire which will usually cause a harsher ride.

On our WDP TL, just installed Yokohama S.4 (245) on chromed Acura TL wheels, and they look great. I'd load a picture, but the reader went south a couple of weeks ago and just haven't purchased a replacement.
The wheels were PVD chromed with powder coating for protection. Pretty slick with a 3 year warranty.

This might give some incentive to get a new reader.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
When I went from stock 07 TL-S wheels/tires to a Tirerack 18" wheel/tire package 245/40/18" It didn't get more harsh. But it depends on the tire you choose. Some tires ride harder. I bought the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE 050A and they rode great. But the wheel I had was only 16.5#. And weight of the wheel/tire also effects how hard/harsh the bumps feel. A heavy wheel/tire will hit bumps harder.

I wanted to go with a 19" package, but bought an 18" package. I recently sold the entire 18" Tirerack package.

Next set of wheels/tires WILL be 19". I am sure it will be harsher, BUT it will handle much better then the stock 17" Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires....
Old 07-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,426 Posts
from afar, the different rims size, 17 vs. 18 cannot be determined and it looks the same. But to the trained eye, a person can see that the tire sidewall is less, thowing out the fact that it is a larger rim. I may just add that any rim with a lip will look smaller than it really is. For example a set of 18's with a lip will look like 17's until you read the sidewall of the tire. So opt for wheels without a lip if you want them to seem larger than factory. I would go with some lightweight 18's as they will reduce weight of the car, giving better MPG, Performance and some other things.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Holdin it down for MS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
from afar, the different rims size, 17 vs. 18 cannot be determined and it looks the same. But to the trained eye, a person can see that the tire sidewall is less, thowing out the fact that it is a larger rim. I may just add that any rim with a lip will look smaller than it really is. For example a set of 18's with a lip will look like 17's until you read the sidewall of the tire. So opt for wheels without a lip if you want them to seem larger than factory. I would go with some lightweight 18's as they will reduce weight of the car, giving better MPG, Performance and some other things.
That can't be stressed enough.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Weight makes sense.

I bought a Tirerack package consisting of new Volk RE 30 18" 1 piece Forged wheels that weighed only 17# with lugs, I put Potenza Pole Position RE 050A 245/40/18" tires on the wheels. The tires were heavy at 28#. I thought I would get better MPG because of weight but I didn't. My MPG actually went DOWN. I believe it was due to the tires aggressive rubber. Very sticky tread and being 1/4" wider then stock caused the MPG to go down. So lower weight should make MPG go up, if you are using the same tire brand/model with a lighter wheel. But going to a much more Aggressive Summer tire makes MPG go down. This is from actual testing. When I took my Tirerack Volk package off, I weighed both my stock 07 TL-S wheel/tire and the Volk wheel/RE 050A tire to find they weighed within 1/2 pound difference. Basically exact same weight. Weighed on a VERY accurate scale.

Any opinions on what I have posted here is fine. But I can't figure out any other explanation. I did try highway and city driving normal, so DON'T say its from driving style or conditions. I also watched the Tire pressure while driving, I noticed the 18" RE 050A tires were getting hotter as the pressure was going up quite a bit. I could actually here the tires picking up little rocks on the road. Very sticky tires make more resistance, but they make the car handle great.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Racer

I liked the looks of the A-spec 18s but not the ride...drove a TL-S with 17s and then one with the 18s...You may be Ok with a non-S.....I prefer a little more side wall...salesman said it was because I am in the over 40 crowd...ya way over!.....good luck
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM
8th Gear

Question 18" A-spec vs 17" Type-s

So this post is a little old, but still relevant to my dilema. I have the 18" A-Spec wheels which I really like the styling of... but the ride is harsh over the awful roads of San Diego. I test drove 3 TL Type-S before I bought mine and the ride (if my memory serves me correctly) was not nearly as harsh.

Has anyone else had a good ammount of time behind the wheel of both? Is the difference noticable. I am thinking about going to stock TL Type-S wheels.

Maybe I'll drive mine to a dealer ship and then go hit the same route in a preowned they've got on the lot.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^The difference in ride quality from a 17" to 18" wheel (assuming all other things are equal) will not be enough to notice, IMO. The OEM 17" Michelins have a pretty compliant ride, which is why they kinda suck when pushed to the limits. A 17" UHP tire with stiffer sidewalls may ride harsher than an 18" touring tire with softer sidewalls.

All of this to say that if you find the ride harsh, then the diameter of the wheel may not be the issue, but rather the type of tire that you are running. Don't go with a hardcore sport tire and get something more "touring" oriented and you'll probably be happier with the ride.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:57 PM
8th Gear

Smile

Thanks for the advice!

Any recommendations on a good 18" tire that is on the softer side? Specific brands and/or models?

I used to have Goodyear Eagle F1's on a bmw and really liked the ride quality. My TL has Falken tires, 245/40R18s
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scottll31
Thanks for the advice!

Any recommendations on a good 18" tire that is on the softer side? Specific brands and/or models?
I would suggest that you go to the Tire Rack site, and do a search for "Grand Touring" tires ...there are many makes that are geared towards a compliant ride, then read the reviews and decide. Really, you can't go wrong with most major brands.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
I would suggest that you go to the Tire Rack site, and do a search for "Grand Touring" tires ...there are many makes that are geared towards a compliant ride, then read the reviews and decide. Really, you can't go wrong with most major brands.
Good advice, but also look at the load rating, as a 93 would afford a shofter ride than a 97. The problem with a major brand Touring tire in 245/40-18, you're looking at $200 per tire and up. There is a H rated Conti for $156(97) $161(93), Kuhmo W (93) $161, and then the price rises quickly. Want a good indication of ride quality, stand the unmounted tire vertically and push in on the top of the tread. A soft H rated tire, the tread can be pushed down easily, but a UHP tire will be stiff, indicating a vast difference in the ride.