1" drop with JUST springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM
Kro
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
1" drop with JUST springs

Sorry for needing to post this but I can't find good answers thru the search function or even googling. If I replace my stock '08 Type S springs with some Eibach's for a 1" drop (nothing more) and dont change the shocks...what kind of premature wear am I looking at? To put it another way, how long would my shocks last as they are now vs how long if I drop it 1" with just springs. Its strictly a money thing right now. I know new shocks/coilovers are the way to go ideally. With a 1yr old daughter and a house for sale that I'm gonna lose my ass on (only to move to a more expensive house) I'm very lucky my wife is letting me get rims, which she is. But I want a drop too! OK, there's my life story, thanks.

Also....anything else I should consider besides wear on the shocks? I dont know these things. thanks

Last edited by Kro; 05-12-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: forgot another question
Old 05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
Sorry for needing to post this but I can't find good answers thru the search function or even googling. If I replace my stock '08 Type S springs with some Eibach's for a 1" drop (nothing more) and dont change the shocks...what kind of premature wear am I looking at? To put it another way, how long would my shocks last as they are now vs how long if I drop it 1" with just springs. Its strictly a money thing right now. I know new shocks/coilovers are the way to go ideally. With a 1yr old daughter and a house for sale that I'm gonna lose my ass on (only to move to a more expensive house) I'm very lucky my wife is letting me get rims, which she is. But I want a drop too! OK, there's my life story, thanks.

Also....anything else I should consider besides wear on the shocks? I dont know these things. thanks
With an 1" drop you will be fine just get an alignment or get the lifetime alignment at firestone that way when you decide to swap out your shocks you can keep getting your car aligned
Old 05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
With an 1" drop you will be fine just get an alignment or get the lifetime alignment at firestone that way when you decide to swap out your shocks you can keep getting your car aligned

Old 05-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
Firestone offers lifetime allignment, is that what you're saying? And you're also saying my shocks will be fine. Meaning they will last just as long as they would have with the OEM springs. I love this answer but I'm not sure it sounds right. Why doesn't everyone just get springs then? Seems like no one here does just springs. Thanks for your reply
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
Firestone offers lifetime allignment, is that what you're saying? And you're also saying my shocks will be fine. Meaning they will last just as long as they would have with the OEM springs. I love this answer but I'm not sure it sounds right. Why doesn't everyone just get springs then? Seems like no one here does just springs. Thanks for your reply
What do you mean? There's a limit to how low you can go with just springs before busting a shock. That's why anyone who's dropped over 1.5" gets upgraded shocks or full coilovers.

Not many here do just springs because not a lot of people are content with just a 1 inch drop.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Kro
Pro

Originally Posted by ifirahse
What do you mean? There's a limit to how low you can go with just springs before busting a shock. That's why anyone who's dropped over 1.5" gets upgraded shocks or full coilovers.

Not many here do just springs because not a lot of people are content with just a 1 inch drop.

gotcha. thanks guys.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am also considering a 1" drop with just springs. How long does this take on average to swap out the springs? Also if anyone has paid someone to do this how much did they charge? Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kro
Kro,

With just a 1" drop, I think your Type S springs will be just fine. Remember that they are upgraded from the base car's shocks. I dropped my last car about 1.5" with just springs and after 5 years and 50k miles, they were still just fine.

The advantage of the adjustable coilovers is that you can adjust the ride height (within a certain range) so you can get it just the way you want it. When you swap out just the springs, there is no way to adjust the drop. What you get is what you get.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I have 2007 Type S and I am going to drop mine with Tein S Techs (about a 1-1/4" drop) and leaving the oem shocks on.

Al