06 MT wont drive straight

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 MT wont drive straight

I have a 2 week old 06 MT that has been at the dealer with a so undiagnosed wheel pull. I took it in last weel with a right pull under minor acceleration that increased as RPM's increased. I got it back and it was pulling in the opposite direction, so much so that it would rip the wheel from your hands with a touch of the gas pedal.
So far they have replace a tire and rotated the others and seem to be able to move the pull from side to side by simply rotating the tires. Anyone else have any issues like this??
It took quite a while to convince them that this is not "Torque Steer". Torque steer should only cause an issue at high RPM's not when first accelerating at low RPM's and low rates of speed (under 30MPH).
Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pault
I have a 2 week old 06 MT that has been at the dealer with a so undiagnosed wheel pull. I took it in last weel with a right pull under minor acceleration that increased as RPM's increased. I got it back and it was pulling in the opposite direction, so much so that it would rip the wheel from your hands with a touch of the gas pedal.
So far they have replace a tire and rotated the others and seem to be able to move the pull from side to side by simply rotating the tires. Anyone else have any issues like this??
It took quite a while to convince them that this is not "Torque Steer". Torque steer should only cause an issue at high RPM's not when first accelerating at low RPM's and low rates of speed (under 30MPH).

I am having the same problem Ive had my TL for 5Weeks & its been pulling since day one. I only bought the damn thing because I was assured it would be fixed. This week will be my second time into the service department
Old 12-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SleepyTheDon
I am having the same problem Ive had my TL for 5Weeks & its been pulling since day one. I only bought the damn thing because I was assured it would be fixed. This week will be my second time into the service department
What did they tell you they did to try to fix the issue? They actually had me drive an 07 TL-S MT and showed me that it also pullled right (which it did slightly). I am driving an 06 TL loaner but its an automatic and it drives perfectly straight. Even at high RPM's where the torque is at its peak the car does not pull in either direction. Only differences would be the MT has Michelin tires.

Any Acura techs out there have any information on this being a known issue?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
my 06 MT TL has a slight left pull. Has anyone determined this as an alignment issue?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
might be uneven tire wear that is happening because of the tire rotation. Also check the PSI and make sure the HUNTER ROADFORCE machines are used since our cars are very sensitive.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Registered VTEC junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just curious,what size wheel do you have? My only experience with the car pulling to one side had to do with new wheels. Awhile back, I had some new aftermarket 17 inch wheels+tires and my car pulled to the left. After an alignment from the dealer, the car was still pulling. It seems that it was the tire/ wheel setup. For me, it was either an unbalanced wheel(s) or tirewear. Most likely unbalanced wheel(s). I put my stock wheels on and had no problems with pulling to any side. I can't really pin point what was causing the pulling but I had no problems with stock wheels/tires. I'm lead to believe that my aftermarket wheels were not balanced properly..the issue with torque steer would not be a suspect. I've only felt torque steer when hammering the gas pedal.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm running the stock 17" wheels w/ stock tires. I've rotated them once and kept the tire pressure at the right PSI. Weird. I'm afraid to take this back to the dealership and let them mess with it.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

I am also running stock wheels and tires. The car actually only has 1000 miles on it and is only 3 weeks old. The dealer just gave it back last night after 5 days of troubleshooting and are saying that they have ordered 4 new tires. It came with the Michelin Pilot's stock and they tested it with a set of tires off another new TL and it drove straight. They are saying that there are more than 1 bad tire and if they replace all 4 that the issue will be resolved. Only concern I have is when they tested the other set of tires they used the rims from the other TL as well. I hope they are right and the issue is in the tires and not the rims.

I will update in a few days once the new tires arrive.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:52 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Won't drive straight?

Try driving it stoned !
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pault
It can be torque steer at any speed. This engine has so much torque that aggressive acceleration at any speed can cause it to pull. I also have 6MT and it also pulls -- I believe it is torque steer. I have a friend who dumped the car in less than a year because he could not stand it -- went back to an RWD vehicle. Why don't you ask to drive another 6MT, maybe a new car, to see if yours if different or if "they all do that"?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Cruisin'

The problem is finally fixed.... The dealer order 4 new tires and just put them on yesterday. My car now drives perfectly straight. They are saying that all 4 of the stock Michelin Pilots were bad. Not sure how this is possible, but the problem is fixed and thats all that matters. Not sure if anyone else commenting in this thread has the Michelins, but sounds like they may have had a bad batch of tires sent to Acura.

Prior to yesterday if i let go of the wheel my car would be in the shoulder within 2 seconds. Now i can let go of the wheel and the car drives completely straight.