05 TL - Suspension project and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 08:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 05 TL - Suspension project and Questions

Hello,

I currently have a full suspension kit order and on it's way from HeelToe Auto, but had some questions regarding post I have read, and could use your insight.
I went ahead and invested fully into my car, to get the foundation buttoned up. Tien Flex Z Coilover kit, Skunk2 Front Adjustable Camber Kit, and SPC Rear Adjustable Camber Kit.
All those part should be in soon, and if I am allowed, I will try to post pics.

My questions:
Do I need a new Front Strut bar? I have seen a thread where some would drill a hole in the stock Strut Bar, even though it doesn't impact it much, it looks horrible to me? Looks aside would you suggest sticking with stock Strut, or upgrading?

Sway bars, is the stock TL sport front sway bar, just as good as type s? Can I just get the adjustable rear sway bar set and be fine? Or do you recommend getting both the front and rears done at the same time as I install suspension components?

Last, any tips for me during the install of the above components?

Thank you for your time,

Vega
SerpentX
Old 03-21-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the strut bar is only for ease of adjustabilty for the coilovers. for me; I dont mind taking the factory strut bar off when i need to adjust the front coils..for others, an exposed strut bar may be beneficial to them.

the ultimate goal is to get the car to handle nuetrally. not too much front bias, not too much rear bias...but just perfect!
by default the TL comes set up to understeer, as it's a FWD vehicle.
by adding a thicker rear sway bar; you'll put more bias to the rear, which makes for a fun ride! one can induce "Lift-off Oversteer" by attacking a corner and lifting off the go fast pedal. the rear will swing around while you're turning
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
With the supplied spring rates, I found the Flex Z to ride very badly no matter what damper setting. It was especially bad on the "soft" settings.

But...this was on a TSX.

I resolved my issue by using a MUCH softer set of springs and lots of preload.

Your experience may vary, though. Don't let my pessimistic opinion taint your positive outlook. I am a soft man.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you, JustNSpace and BROlando for the quick Reply

So the 05 TL I have is not my daily, I have a tank of a 2010 Toyota Camry, with 200k miles as my daily.

The TL I am building for Seat time, to not so much as race others, but race with them against myself, and my times.
So the FLEX Z being a bit bad for driving, won't bother me as much as long as it performs on the track.

JustNspace, I was looking a the Progress 24mm Rear sway bar set, from HeelToe Auto, as I want to reduce the understeer as much as possible for an FR car.

I already have cold air and custom exhaust from the 3rd Cat-back, but besides the sway bar, anything else?
Should I start getting subframe reinforcement? And if I did, any recommendations?

Thank you again,
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Cool. What tracks are you planning on taking it to?