'04 TL Pulls and Vibrates. Need Help Plz!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 TL Pulls and Vibrates. Need Help Plz!

So Ive got this issue where my car pulls HARD to the right side. Ive got it aligned (forgot to get the alignment sheet) as well as balanced and rotated and such. It still pulls pretty hard. It also vibrates (almost like the entire frame is shaky/steering wheel is shaky) between 30 and 40mph.

Originally I thought the shaking was the gear because I was usually in 3rd (I drive a 6MT), but it happens during acceleration, and deceleration, regardless of gear, ive tried 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and out of gear neutral and its still the same shake.

As for the pulling, I had the car lifted up at my friends shop and took a glance underneath and without taking the wheel off he said that he doesnt see any issues with a bent frame or a broken/bent control arm. However when i went to get it aligned they said I needed a new lower control arm and knuckle joint. I dont know what to think though because when we looked at the control arm, it was in prestine condition.

Im not too too computer smart, but does anyone have suggestions for either/both of these issues?

PS. Ive replaced one engine mount that had pretty much died completely, but that didnt fix the problem at all. I also got 2 brand new tires today so I finally have a set of 4 matching tires, I want to get them balanced aligned rotated and all that good stuff but dont want to waste my money until I solve at least one of these issues.

Any suggestions or starting points to check is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by LoveMyTL-S; 02-08-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Cruisin'

bump
Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
Did you just get new tires installed? Or have they been on them for quite a while and this vibration just started happening out of nowhere?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by kire101
Any suggestions or starting points to check is greatly appreciated.
Look for damage to a tire-- that's what would cause a pull.

Swap the fronts with the rears to see if that affects the pulling and vibration; if the swap changes the pull + vibration, the problem is with the tires/wheels rather than the suspension/subframe.

If the tires are not recently balanced, get them balanced (which usually remedies vibration-at-speed issues).

Welcome to AZ, and G/L.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
bad tire, bent rim, suspension, axles, or motor mounts...vibrations are a PITA to figure out. good luck. look for threads on vibrations...there are a lot of them.

the pull could be from a bad tire.

consider hunter road force balancing. also make sure all your tires are inflated to spec.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

I recently replaced the rear two tires with 2 brand new tires, this lessened the pulling, my guess is becuase the tire that blew out was low or had a lump or something. So that lessened it. I also took it to the mechanics shop and he took a look at it, there was a right passenger front bushing that was completely shot (there was a huge 1 inch gap where theres supposed to be a rubber vibration dampener or something). I replaced that, now it def. pulls less, but still pulls.

The last time I got it aligned and balanced was before I replaced the tires and bushing/mount. I want to get it re-aligned but I dont want to waste money if its something else.

The control arms and joints look good, and he said theres no visible bend or break in the axle.

Also, im not sure if this helps anything or not, but it LITERALLY sat in the garage for almost 3 full years without EVER being driven. Hell I had to drive 300 miles before it would pass inspection to get the catalyst to start warming up again to spec. So could that ruin a tire? It literally got 300 miles in 3 years...so i thought originally that was good, that it was low mileage etc, but now Im thinking it may be a bad thing and maybe I should invest in two new front tires so I have 4 brand new tires?

They are the Falken ZIEX 512, Size 235-40-18 95W. All 4 are these tire, all inflated to 35psi I believe, 35 or 37psi. The rear 2 are brand new, and the front two are old from about 3-4 years ago and were just sat on.

Im really hoping its not a powersteering rod or steering rod or anything like that, is there any specific way to check?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well now you said something that makes sense. replace the front two tires. if all the car did was sit for 3 yrs on those tires...FLATSPOTTING (which maybe a permanent thing in the old tires). if the tires are deformed in any way...it could pull or vibrate.

to check, move the new tires to the front and the old tires to the back and see if that changes anything. if it does...it's the old tires. if the vibration is in the seat of your butt and out of the steering wheel...its most likely the tires. if the pull lessens more in the steering wheel...it most likely the tires. road force balancing would find these deformities (lateral pulls) or bent wheels.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Cruisin'

Okay thank you so much, Ill def. get these tires rotated out to the front and have the old ones put on the back to check.

Would a place like discount tire do RF Balancing? And what does that usually run me in terms of cost?

Thanks again, once this vibration/pulling is gone, my car will be perfect for me
Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

most dealers have the hunter RFB machine. go to the hunter website and search their locate a dealer with the machine (some big tire shops do have the machine). my dealer charged $120 for RFB and lateral pull analysis (it actually checks for lateral pull and will arrange the wheels/tires accordingly on your car to minimize the pull). fixed mine. i had to get the RFB by my dealer after the morons over at NTB didn't dynamically balance my wheels and tires correctly, nor did they inflate my tires to spec. you could probably get it done for less at a mr. tire or other big box shop. i've had bad experiences with them (wheel damage), so i only let the dealer handle my car...begrudingly (yeah i'm really anal). good luck. let us know how everything goes.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Cruisin'

Im going to have the tires in the back (new ones) put in the front after class today, I just wanted to post this youtube video. I recorded it this morning on my way home from the gym, you can hear the sound it makes + imagine a vibration coming through the seats and the wheel.

does this help at all?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:47 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

that totally sounds like tires-thud thud thud....kindof like a flat tire almost. it sounds awful. if it was just the noise without the vibration i'd say wheel bearings. get the tires swapped. the vibration should be less...not sure about the noise though. that's pretty obnoxious.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Cruisin'

Its not a flat tire =[ the PSI on all 4 tires is 35.

I may go have it looked at to see if I need new wheel bearings and Ill also have the tires swapped.

gahh :P Ill figure it out one way or another
Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

sounds like it. to really eliminate the tires as a cause, find someone and borrow the wheels and tires (same fitment) and go around the block. no more whump whump...its the tires. keep us updated.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Wow! The car was sitting for 3 years!! I'd say flatspotting on the tires. They are probably shot. Not to mention rubber rot. If the car is pulling one direction swap the front tires and see if it pulls the other way, if so, tires are your issue. I'm putting my money on the tires as the problem here. Keep us informed. GL.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Wow! The car was sitting for 3 years!! I'd say flatspotting on the tires. They are probably shot. Not to mention rubber rot. If the car is pulling one direction swap the front tires and see if it pulls the other way, if so, tires are your issue. I'm putting my money on the tires as the problem here. Keep us informed. GL.

Okay well do you feel like if that is indeed the issue, its safe to drive another 2 weeks? thats when Ill have the $$$ to replace the front two tires (tax return yay im a broke college kid).

Ill be replacing the front two tires and all the wheel bearings, im just trying to figure out if there may be more
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

start with tires first...if that solves it no need to waste money on wheel bearings. i'd weary of the old tires esp on the freeway.