04' TL OEM Wheel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' TL OEM Wheel Replacement

My wife cracked the front passenger wheel on our 04' TL, which resulted in us buying all new tires and wheels today...but I'm not happy with the purchase.

First off the MB Five X wheels I went with from what they had in stock, were a great price at $83 each, but they are 17x7 and compared to the OEM 17x8 wheel, look skinny and cheap and crappy.

I'm ok with the 4 new Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires we got too, but we really only needed the front two replaced, he said the back two were fine and so I kept them and the 4 wheels. I guess I was too anal to have a mixed brand of tires on my car, 2 Continentals and 2 Goodyears, so I had them put 4 Continentals on. I don't know how people feel about having mixed brands on front/back?

So I guess if I can, I'd like to take the MB wheels back, if I can, and if I can find an OEM wheel somewhere, priced in my range, to replace the cracked one.

eBay seems to have lots of refurbished/replica/re manufactured ones, but I'm not sure what to look out for with these and if they are just as good as an OEM one or what...or if there is a place that is cheaper than the dealership that sells OEM wheels?

Need some guidance here. I spent right at $1000 today. Can I take back my wheels and tires and start the day over. I'd like to find the OEM wheel, get it here, take it up there with my other wheels, have them put back on and maybe just buy the original 2 wheels up front, same Goodyears, and come out at around $500 spent instead.

What to do?
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
tough situation you are in, man.

call the place of business and see if you can return the wheels + tires.

i'm thinking that you wont be able to return the tires, but instead sell them back at a loss.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

A local place can get me a real OEM wheel for about $200 total, thats cost of the wheel and shipping in 2-3 business days.

I guess I can be happy with the 4 new tires, but I'd really like to just have my back tires which I still have put back on, and have them special order those two fronts, like they were going to do until I got all anal about the 4 tires and 4 wheels. They have to special order the front two Goodyears, but now I'm not sure I can return all 8 items?

What kind of a loss would I take on the 4 new ones?

Last edited by ChrisMc73; 01-06-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Ok, so here is what I'm going with...

Got the used OEM wheel from the local parts place, they are a salvage parts place, and will order one from out of state somewhere. Thats $200 for that wheel.

I'm keeping the new tires; should get better life out of them anyway over the Goodyears. I'll pay a small restocking fee for the wheels they put on today. But I'll save money there and enjoy the original look of my OEM wheels once again.

So thats the story, never thought it would be this hard to fix a flat.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
To bad your only looking for one or I'd sell ya all 4 of mine with 80% tread left on the tires haha. Curb rash on one wheel but it blends in decently well with the silver. I'm right here in OKC
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by TL-Noob
To bad your only looking for one or I'd sell ya all 4 of mine with 80% tread left on the tires haha. Curb rash on one wheel but it blends in decently well with the silver. I'm right here in OKC
Dang you posted 30 mins too late bro! I just ordered the OEM replacement and there is not refunds. If he's ordered it already. How much are you selling your 4 tires/wheels for?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMc73
Ok, so here is what I'm going with...

Got the used OEM wheel from the local parts place, they are a salvage parts place, and will order one from out of state somewhere. Thats $200 for that wheel.

I'm keeping the new tires; should get better life out of them anyway over the Goodyears. I'll pay a small restocking fee for the wheels they put on today. But I'll save money there and enjoy the original look of my OEM wheels once again.

So thats the story, never thought it would be this hard to fix a flat.
Chris, glad everything worked out for you, albeit a sticky situation.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:02 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by justnspace
Chris, glad everything worked out for you, albeit a sticky situation.
Yeah, I think once I had time to sit down and research and then call around town and find that place that can get me a used OEM wheel, I was good. I really didn't mind spending the money for new tires and wheels, but I just didn't like the choices they offered for wheels, which overall were not a great selection to begin with. I'm very happy with the tires though, found some threads on here where they talk great about them.

I just felt pressured and impulsed to buy 4 tires and 4 wheels and be done. Overall I'm very happy with my decision to get a used OEM wheel to replace this cracked one. Now I just need to find a place in town that can buff or refinish my OEM wheels, and see if they can clean up the curb scratches or whatever that is called?

I also need to find someone to help me remove my Alpine navigation unit in the trunk so I can send it into Alpine and have it fixed for $150. I have no navi right now as it is just constantly in reboot mode.

Then I'll have a friend fix up the door dings I have, and my 04 will have new life...lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:04 AM

Very easy to take out the dvd drive.

take out all the carpet in the trunk, held on by those black plastic clips, there are 4 bolts that are holding the drive.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Very easy to take out the dvd drive.

take out all the carpet in the trunk, held on by those black plastic clips, there are 4 bolts that are holding the drive.
Yeah I tried it, I'll try again, I'm just not very handy when it comes to cars...give me a computer and I'll tear it all apart, but a car, its my kryponite.

I guess I feel I'm breaking something with I mess with that carpet stuff. I'll see what I can do, give it more of the ole' college try.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 AM

^ i started on computers than graduated to cars. hehe
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I'm about to do that also on mine Chris so maybe I can help ya. I'll do mine and figure it out...then I can help ya on here or in person to get yours out.

Sick of going to press something and it just freezing...reboot...reboot...reboot...DAMN! haha
Old 01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Originally Posted by TL-Noob
I'm about to do that also on mine Chris so maybe I can help ya. I'll do mine and figure it out...then I can help ya on here or in person to get yours out.

Sick of going to press something and it just freezing...reboot...reboot...reboot...DAMN! haha
That would be sweet, so your navigation is on the fritz too huh?
Did you find out on here where to send it or did you just know?
I had to read it on here, but sounds like lots are having the same issue.
If its as simple as sending to Alpine and paying $150, and its sent back fixed, I'm good with that for sure.

I don't like not being able to see my XM radio stations on the screen and my iPod connector device I can't manage without the screen as well.

Hit me up on here or email: cjmccord@gmail.com

Let me know when you get yours out and send off, I'm going to try this weekend.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:34 AM

That would be sweet, so your navigation is on the fritz too huh?
Did you find out on here where to send it or did you just know?
I had to read it on here, but sounds like lots are having the same issue.
If its as simple as sending to Alpine and paying $150, and its sent back fixed, I'm good with that for sure.

I don't like not being able to see my XM radio stations on the screen and my iPod connector device I can't manage without the screen as well.

Hit me up on here or email: cjmccord@gmail.com

Let me know when you get yours out and send off, I'm going to try this weekend.

its as simple as that.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

So if its such a widespread issue with the navigation system, why can't we just go to the dealership and have them replace or fix it, like a recall?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:45 AM

So if its such a widespread issue with the navigation system, why can't we just go to the dealership and have them replace or fix it, like a recall?
its not an ACURA part.
it's Alpine.

if you head to the dealer, they're going to charge you $1400+ to change out everything.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

its not an ACURA part.
it's Alpine.

if you head to the dealer, they're going to charge you $1400+ to change out everything.
Yeah I've read that on here! So what if I went to a local "Alpine Dealer", such as a Jackie Cooper Electronics we have here in OKC, would they take it out and ship it to Alpine and put it back in for me, and maybe charge me for the labor of doing that? Even if I can save that money doing it myself, just curious if an Alpine dealer would do it?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Yeah I've read that on here! So what if I went to a local "Alpine Dealer", such as a Jackie Cooper Electronics we have here in OKC, would they take it out and ship it to Alpine and put it back in for me, and maybe charge me for the labor of doing that? Even if I can save that money doing it myself, just curious if an Alpine dealer would do it?
call and ask.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

call and ask.
Good idea! lol...better than going up there and wasting a trip.
Do you know the model # of that Alpine unit, and what that is called in the trunk and how I should ask?
Its not the head unit that is bad, its the xxxxx?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
04' Acura TL Anthracite

Ok, I called, and they are going to help me get it out, but I guess its up to me to send in and have it fixed, which is fine. I can do that. Not an issue.

Will my radio still work when that part is out? Also are we sure that a DVD nav disc isn't the issue, what if I tried a different disc, would that fix it?